Home Sports Talk
Options

In the salary cap era,only nine SBs have been won with a starting QB playing on his second contract

thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited October 26, 2021 10:51AM in Sports Talk

Edited to add: I made a mistake. It's nine. I forgot about Rodgers.

And New England did it twice with Brady.

94 Young
95 Aikman
96 Favre
97 Elway
98 Elway
99 Warner
00 Dilfer
01 Brady
02 Johnson
03 Brady
04 Brady
05 Roethlisberger
06 P. Manning
07 E. Manning
08 Roethlisberger
09 Brees
10 Rodgers
11 E. Manning
12 Flacco
13 Wilson
14 Brady
15 P. Manning
16 Brady
17 Foles
18 Brady
19 Mahomes
20 Brady

All of the rest were either rookie deals or third or later contracts.

What does all of this mean? You tell me 🤣

If I got any of this information wrong, please let me know.

Comments

  • Options
    Alfonz24Alfonz24 Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭✭✭

    One other fact is that none of these QBs have ever been in my kitchen.

    #LetsGoSwitzerlandThe Man Who Does Not Read Has No Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read. The biggest obstacle to progress is a habit of “buying what we want and begging for what we need.”You get the Freedom you fight for and get the Oppression you deserve.
  • Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,957 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @thisistheshow said:
    And New England did it twice with Brady.

    94 Young
    95 Aikman
    96 Favre
    97 Elway
    98 Elway
    99 Warner
    00 Dilfer
    01 Brady
    02 Johnson
    03 Brady
    04 Delhomme
    05 Roethlisberger
    __06 P. Manning

    07 E. Manning
    08 Roethlisberger
    09 Brees
    10 Rodgers
    11 E. Manning
    12 Flacco
    13 Wilson
    14 Brady
    15 Newton
    16 Brady
    17 Foles
    18 Brady
    19 Mahomes
    20 Brady

    All of the rest were either rookie deals or third or later contracts.

    What does all of this mean? You tell me 🤣

    If I got any of this information wrong, please let me know.

    In a perfect world, this is how your list would look.

  • Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

    So for example, if @2dueces Bills were to win it this year, it will be something not done since the Giants with Eli Manning in the 2011 season.

    If you sit back and think about it, this is interesting to consider as we watch teams scrambling to sign their QBs to these record setting second contracts.

  • Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Bumping my own thread since it didn't get much action last time here. Any thoughts on this topic as the season approaches?

  • Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Mahomes makes it ten.

  • Options

    10 out of 28 doesn't seem compelling enough to make it a bad idea to ink your QB to that second contract. A lot of those guys on that list that did not win Super Bowls were still in the hunt almost every year. Some even got there and lost.

  • Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @1948_Swell_Robinson said:
    10 out of 28 doesn't seem compelling enough to make it a bad idea to ink your QB to that second contract. A lot of those guys on that list that did not win Super Bowls were still in the hunt almost every year. Some even got there and lost.

    ...
    Good points.

    I believe an important part of this is the fact that for the last almost twenty years teams were winning with either rookie contract QBs or guys in a third or more contract. I believe when I started the thread years ago, thinking back, I was trying to start a discussion on whether or not teams should keep recycling through QBs on rookie deals in an effort to win it all. Or should they routinely sign their guy to that second deal? What will Philadelphia do? They just reached the SB. Here in Dallas there was a ton of talk about the fact that they found Dak in the 4th round and it was possible to do it again. Obviously this all hangs in whether a team can win it all with a QB taking up such a piece of their salary cap. The Chiefs just did it.

  • Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,307 ✭✭✭✭✭

    The eagles have to sign Jalen Hurts whenever his rookie contract is up.
    I couldn’t believe his accuracy in the SB. Three or four passes the Chiefs had great coverage on the receiver and Hurts placed it perfectly for receptions. So he performed great on the biggest stage so no way Philly let’s him get away.

    DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
    In the course of every human endeavor since the dawn of time the risk of human error has always been a factor. Including but not limited to field goals, 4th down attempts, or multiple paragraph ramblings on a sports forum authored by someone who shall remain anonymous.
  • Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @Darin said:

    The eagles have to sign Jalen Hurts whenever his rookie contract is up.
    I couldn’t believe his accuracy in the SB. Three or four passes the Chiefs had great coverage on the receiver and Hurts placed it perfectly for receptions. So he performed great on the biggest stage so no way Philly let’s him get away.

    never in my wildest dreams did i think Jalen Hurts would be this good in the pros. he is the real freaking deal. his legs are obvious weapons, but he can also make all the throws. i even love his demeanor -- he's not the flashy type. comes across as very humble. he even stopped his head coach from taunting the chiefs during the super bowl (google it). extremely classy kid from what i've observed.

    and much to my delight, he will be a thorn in Dallas' side for many years to come. all of these stupid ass Cowboys fans who think Dak is the equivalent of him, if not superior. yeah, keep thinking that. then when 10 more years go by and you still haven't won jack sh*t, then perhaps the disparity in talent will finally sink in.

  • Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @galaxy27 said:

    @Darin said:

    The eagles have to sign Jalen Hurts whenever his rookie contract is up.
    I couldn’t believe his accuracy in the SB. Three or four passes the Chiefs had great coverage on the receiver and Hurts placed it perfectly for receptions. So he performed great on the biggest stage so no way Philly let’s him get away.

    never in my wildest dreams did i think Jalen Hurts would be this good in the pros. he is the real freaking deal. his legs are obvious weapons, but he can also make all the throws. i even love his demeanor -- he's not the flashy type. comes across as very humble. he even stopped his head coach from taunting the chiefs during the super bowl (google it). extremely classy kid from what i've observed.

    and much to my delight, he will be a thorn in Dallas' side for many years to come. all of these stupid ass Cowboys fans who think Dak is the equivalent of him, if not superior. yeah, keep thinking that. then when 10 more years go by and you still haven't won jack sh*t, then perhaps the disparity in talent will finally sink in.

    ...
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Things are getting feisty in the NFC East. I like it.

Sign In or Register to comment.