Home U.S. & World Currency Forum
Options

Help?? Value on this note

I can't find anything on the Calcasieu National Bank of Southwest Louisiana at Lake Charles $20 bill I have just come across.

Any info would be greatly appreciated 🙂

Comments

• Options

• Options
    numbersmannumbersman Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭✭

Interesting note.Here's the TP data.I would guesstimate,without seeing the back, this note's value to the right buyer at a bit under $500 due to condition (that's a retail number).Any other questions...just ask. Rob

Collector of numeral seals.That's the 1928 and 1928A series of FRNs with a number rather than a letter in the district seal. Owner/operator of Bottom Line Currency
  • Options

here's the note right side up.

Collector of numeral seals.That's the 1928 and 1928A series of FRNs with a number rather than a letter in the district seal. Owner/operator of Bottom Line Currency
  • Options

Thank you so Much!!

Is it so Expensive because this is a more rare bank that made it?

• Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

And a low serial #

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options
    sellitstoresellitstore Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

Louisiana has a decent collector base and Southern notes, in general are better than most Eastern and midwestern notes. South and Western U.S. are better areas for scarcer national bank notes. Eighteen small size notes, split evenly between two titles, are known. This note is new to the census making it the sixth known of this type.

I'm not a collector of these but would pay $500 for this note on the hope of making a little money. I don't see too much downside at that price. Retail could be closer to $750, to the right customer.

Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.
  • Options

This is so cool! I thought it might be special seeing I couldn't find anything on it really :smile:

So do you all think I should send it off to be Graded by PCGS??

• Options

Grading this note depends on your goals for it.In some situations it make no sense at all to grade it...in others, it almost demands it.What are your goals with the note?

• Options

Honestly I came across it in my late grandpas collection and I am not planning it ever BUT I feel it might be cool to have it graded as a family heirloom to say it is rare and worth a bit?

Is it seem worth it?

• Options

It's a personal decision but I wouldn't.For the purposes of just hanging on to it, grading wont change the "rare and worth a bit" thing.It is reasonably rare and still worth what it's worth.Place it in a mylar holder (see pic) and that will be that.If you need a holder, let me know and I'll mail you out a old used one (in decent condition) that I no longer need.Grading would be more appropriate if you were planning to sell the note (for several reasons).

• Options

Thank you so much for all the help :smile:

• Options
    AMRCAMRC Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭✭

Grading it allows you to insure it appropriately. Not to mention, enables your heirs to know what you do about it.

Unfortunately, most are not concerned about that until it is too late.

MLAeBayNumismatics: "The greatest hobby in the world!"
  • Options
    Steve_in_TampaSteve_in_Tampa Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭✭✭

Fantastic small-sized National banknote @TeacherCollector, and a wonderful family keepsake.
    I tend to agree with Rob and would recommend just keeping it in a quality currency sleeve. You can submit it for grading in the future, if you prefer.

One of the perks of joining the Society of Paper Money Collectors (SPMC) is gaining access to its extensive National Banknote database. I punched in your banknote Charter number and did a couple of screenshots for you.