Home Q & A Forum
Options

How do I submit my 2021 Morgans to PCGS in a flip?

MKUltra24MKUltra24 Posts: 652 ✭✭✭✭
edited October 25, 2021 7:14PM in Q & A Forum

According to the PCGS submission page they want all coins submitted to be inserted into plastic flips but a Morgan dollar won’t fit into a flip and even if it did it already comes in a plastic capsule so is a flip even necessary?

I want to submit it but I don’t want to be messing around with taking them all out of their capsules and inserting them in flips

Is there another way to do this where I can send in the capsules or send it to them in the original brown box that the Mint sends them to me in?

Comments

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,218 ✭✭✭✭✭

There are larger sized flips

But

They will take the us mint product releases in the capsules

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options

@MsMorrisine said:
    There are larger sized flips

But

They will take the us mint product releases in the capsules

Oh ok thanks!

So I can just take all the capsules out of the boxes and tape them up and pack them in bubble wrap and ship them like that without any issue?

I have 14 coins I’m going to be shipping and I want to keep the original box & COA.

• Options

Bubble wrap first then tape

Group them by mint/privy

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options

@MsMorrisine said:
    Bubble wrap first then tape

Group them by mint/privy

Awesome thanks! I never thought about grouping them by privy/mint so I’ll definitely do that.

Thank goodness I don’t have to use flips because knowing my luck the process of moving the coins from capsule to flip would leave some sort of blemish on them like when I held my v75 ASE in my hands while wearing cotton gloves and it left a hairline scratch above the v75 privy. :/

• Options

Cotton is not soft

It’s just softer than wool

• Options

@MsMorrisine said:
    Cotton is not soft

It’s just softer than wool

Yeah but cotton gloves were all that the coin sites were selling and I didn’t want to hold it with my bare hands because skin has natural oils on it.

Maybe I should use latex hospital gloves instead?

• Options
    OldhoopsterOldhoopster Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭✭✭

A standard flip is 2x2. PCGS recommends using the larger 2.5" x2.5" flip in the info you posted

Member of the ANA since 1982
  • Options

@Oldhoopster said:
    A standard flip is 2x2. PCGS recommends using the larger 2.5" x2.5" flip in the info you posted

Yeah that’s true. I’ve just had issues with flips in the past and seen others have issues too.

One guy on the CoinTalk forums sent in a Tajikistan proof commemorative go NGC and while in the flip it developed milk spots. It didn’t affect the overall PF68 grade but dang it looked ugly afterwards.

I just feel more comfortable not touching the coins themselves (especially large coins like Morgans/Peace) at all and leaving them in the capsules and as Mrs. Morinne said apparently that’s OK to do so I will probably stick with that.

Thanks for your input though I appreciate it :)

• Options
    ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 26, 2021 12:29AM

Yep, just send them in the mint capsules.

If you are keeping the box & COA you can request the mint capsules be returned with your order. ;)

• Options
    edited October 26, 2021 1:11AM

@ifthevamzarockin said:
    Yep, just send them in the mint capsules.

If you are keeping the box & COA you can request the mint capsules be returned with your order. ;)

Thanks! :)

Any idea of approximately how much it will cost for all of them with shipping and everything else? I plan on sending in 14 coins.
    1x CC (should've bought more of these)
    1x O (same as above)
    3x P
    3x D
    3x S
    3x Peace

Oh and I plan on putting "MS70" as the minimum grade I will accept since my goal is to get a full MS70 set for myself and sell the rest to recoup the money I spent.

I know it's kind of a shameful thing to sell at marked up prices and at first I refused to do it when I bought the CC & O and I only bought 1 of each but after that I realized dealers & scalpers are buying as many as they can and if I don't buy them it would probably go to someone else trying to re-sell so I decided might as well be me.

• Options

@MKUltra24 said:

@Oldhoopster said:

Yeah that’s true. I’ve just had issues with flips in the past and seen others have issues too.

One guy on the CoinTalk forums sent in a Tajikistan proof commemorative go NGC and while in the flip it developed milk spots. It didn’t affect the overall PF68 grade but dang it looked ugly afterwards.

I just feel more comfortable not touching the coins themselves (especially large coins like Morgans/Peace) at all and leaving them in the capsules and as Mrs. Morinne said apparently that’s OK to do so I will probably stick with that.

FYI: A flip won't cause milk spots. From what I've read, they seem to be caused be incomplete rinsing during the blank preparation. Over time environmental conditions can cause these to appear. If the coin was subjected to the conditions to form milk spots, it will probably happen some point. The milk spots in your example didn't cause the milk spots. They would have evenly shown up at some point, even in the

• Options

@Oldhoopster said:

@MKUltra24 said:

@Oldhoopster said:

FYI: A flip won't cause milk spots. From what I've read, they seem to be caused be incomplete rinsing during the blank preparation. Over time environmental conditions can cause these to appear. If the coin was subjected to the conditions to form milk spots, it will probably happen some point. The milk spots in your example didn't cause the milk spots. They would have evenly shown up at some point, even in the

Maybe while the coins were sitting there in the flips they were exposed to something in the environment?

Idk for sure I just saw the before and after picks showing what the coin looked like immediately before he sent it to NGC and immediately after he got it back and dang it looked bad with the cloudy milk spots.

But originally it actually looked pretty awesome.

Either way though I just feel like taking the coins out of the plastic capsules is a bad idea for me. I know I’d end up getting fingerprints on it or scratching it with the plastic from the flip or the coin would slide out or something bad like that would happen.

That’s just how my life is.

• Options
    edited October 26, 2021 5:03AM

Milk spots are a specific type of contamination and, from what I've read over the years, the general consensus is it's due to the minting process. Whatever may trigger the spots to become visible (could be air, humidity, light or something else) imay be delayed by keeping it in the capsule, but the possibility exists that they will become visible in the future

I suppose it's possible that a coin coin be environmentally contaminated in a flip while waiting to be graded, but wouldn't all submitted coins have this risk?

Nothing wrong with sending it the original capsule, since it looks the TPGs will accept it. Just trying to clarify some potential misinformation about flips being responsible for milk spots.

• Options
    MetroDMetroD Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MKUltra24 said:

[...] Any idea of approximately how much it will cost for all of them with shipping and everything else? [...]

??? - You ship coins to PCGS. They recommend USPS registered. Guidelines
    $69 - Collectors Club = Silver (Membership required for submission; delete if you are already a member)
    14 x $17 - Service Level = Modern Value (MAX coin value = $300)
    Note - you can select a higher service level for a faster turnaround time.
    Note - you pay the entire grading fee even if a raw coin does not meet the "MIN. grade" specified and is not encapsulated.
    $10 - Handling Fee
    $ 33 - Return Shipping Fee (5-25 coins; $1,001-$5,000 Total Declared Value)

I have no experience with Gold Shield, which includes TrueView, and First Strike in conjunction with a "MIN. Grade" submission. As such, I do not know what PCGS does with, or what they charge, on a coin that does not meet the "MIN. Grade" specification. Hopefully, someone else with experience will post.

PCGS Submission Form (U.S. Coins)

Best for luck with your submission. :)

• Options
    gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you are going to sell the ones that don't make the 70 grade why not just have them all certified. Easier to sell a slabbed 68 or 69 than a raw one. You are paying for the service anyways.

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

• Options

@gumby1234 said:
    If you are going to sell the ones that don't make the 70 grade why not just have them all certified. Easier to sell a slabbed 68 or 69 than a raw one. You are paying for the service anyways.

Good point! I’ll do that.

• Options
    edited November 3, 2021 4:16PM

@MetroD said:

@MKUltra24 said:

[...] Any idea of approximately how much it will cost for all of them with shipping and everything else? [...]

??? - You ship coins to PCGS. They recommend USPS registered. Guidelines
    $69 - Collectors Club = Silver (Membership required for submission; delete if you are already a member)
    14 x $17 - Service Level = Modern Value (MAX coin value = $300)
    Note - you can select a higher service level for a faster turnaround time.
    Note - you pay the entire grading fee even if a raw coin does not meet the "MIN. grade" specified and is not encapsulated.
    $10 - Handling Fee
    $ 33 - Return Shipping Fee (5-25 coins; $1,001-$5,000 Total Declared Value)

I have no experience with Gold Shield, which includes TrueView, and First Strike in conjunction with a "MIN. Grade" submission. As such, I do not know what PCGS does with, or what they charge, on a coin that does not meet the "MIN. Grade" specification. Hopefully, someone else with experience will post.

PCGS Submission Form (U.S. Coins)

Best for luck with your submission. :)

Thanks a bunch!! :)

I just have one more question:

Do you know if it’s absolutely necessary to put a white sticker with the submission number of each coin?

I just don’t have any white stickers and I was hoping I could just ship all the coins in their plastic capsules wrapped in bubble wrap and then tied up with rubber bands.

What would happen if I didn’t label each coin with a white sticker and the submission number?

Would they still grade my coins and just take longer to do it? Or would they refuse to grade them for not following instructions?

• Options
    edited November 3, 2021 4:44PM

@MKUltra24 said:
    What would happen if I didn’t label each coin with a white sticker and the submission number?

I have always tried to follow the packaging guidelines. As such, I do not know what would happen.

If you do not have any stickers, you could write the submission and line number on a label-sized slip of paper, and then tape it to the flip with Scotch tape.

Edited to Add:
    Good luck with your grades. :)

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,209 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MKUltra24 said:

Do you know if it’s absolutely necessary to put a white sticker with the submission number of each coin?

not required if submitting in the capsules.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options

@MetroD said:

@MKUltra24 said:

I have always tried to follow the packaging guidelines. As such, I do not know what would happen.

If you do not have any stickers, you could write the submission and line number on a label-sized slip of paper, and then tape it to the flip with Scotch tape.

Edited to Add:
    Good luck with your grades. :)

Thanks for all your help and advice! I appreciate it very much. :)

• Options

@derryb said:

@MKUltra24 said:

not required if submitting in the capsules.

Oh ok awesome thanks! Do I have to send the box & COA too or can I keep those? I’d like to keep them if I can.

Not only do I want to keep them but it would save me space and weight in the package I send which would save me some money and hassle.

• Options

@MKUltra24 said:

[...] Do I have to send the box & COA too or can I keep those? [...]

Unless you need to submit in a sealed Mint box to preserve some type of designation, like First Strike AFTER the cutoff date, you only need to submit the coins.

The First Strike cutoff date for the 2021 Morgan Dollars is 11/18/21. If you want this designation, your package of 'coins in capsules' has to be shipped to PCGS 'on or before' this date.

Reference

• Options
    edited November 4, 2021 10:20PM

@MetroD said:

@MKUltra24 said:

[...] Do I have to send the box & COA too or can I keep those? [...]

Unless you need to submit in a sealed Mint box to preserve some type of designation, like First Strike AFTER the cutoff date, you only need to submit the coins.

The First Strike cutoff date for the 2021 Morgan Dollars is 11/18/21. If you want this designation, your package of 'coins in capsules' has to be shipped to PCGS 'on or before' this date.

Reference

Thanks! I plan on getting the First Strike designation (I know it’s useless but it seems to help sales) but I think I can get it mailed and delivered by the 18th if I ship it on the 10th. If I recall correctly as long as it is postmarked by the 18th it will meet the deadline.