Home Sports Talk

OT: your favorite old school arcade game?

galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited October 25, 2021 2:20PM in Sports Talk

i smoked Qix like crack back in the early 80s

the sound effects still slay me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wvzyd0OZg1I

Comments

• LandrysFedoraLandrysFedora Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭✭✭

Spent many hours in my teen years spending quarters upon quarters on this one! It's not one of the more well known ones but very very addictive!

And this one was my co-favorite!

• Alfonz24Alfonz24 Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭✭✭

Qbert. I learned the drop sequence and could play hours on end. It took me 20 minutes to kill all the lives (I think I had over 200 one time) when I left so I could put my top ranking in.

#LetsGoSwitzerlandThe Man Who Does Not Read Has No Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read. The biggest obstacle to progress is a habit of “buying what we want and begging for what we need.”You get the Freedom you fight for and get the Oppression you deserve.
  • galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭✭✭

@LandrysFedora

i've never even HEARD of Satan's Hollow

methinks i need to play it......................for about 7 hours straight

@galaxy27 said:
    @LandrysFedora

i've never even HEARD of Satan's Hollow

methinks i need to play it......................for about 7 hours straight

It is similar to Galaga if you've ever played that. The Satan's Hollow me and my buddies played was in a game room in a Holiday Inn in Ft Lauderdale near where I grew up. And that's the only one I ever saw anywhere. Must have been a low production game?

• HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 26, 2021 8:31AM

Anybody here remember pin-ball? The spring loaded shooter? The big steely? And the flappers? And all the holes in the table?

@Hydrant said:
    Anybody here remember pin-ball? The spring loaded shooter? The big steely? And the flappers? And all the holes in the table?......I didn't think so......

I love pinball! Especially those old electro-mechanical pins from the 60's and 70's! I have a few on my wish list but the wife says I already have too many toys around the house and no room for more! lol

• doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,530 ✭✭✭✭✭

I grew up in the 90s, so my favorites were Mortal Kombat. I spent so much time and money playing this game it's ridiculous. I practically lived at the arcade, and any money I earned went directly into this machine.

• TabeTabe Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭✭✭

@LandrysFedora said:

@Hydrant said:
    Anybody here remember pin-ball? The spring loaded shooter? The big steely? And the flappers? And all the holes in the table?......I didn't think so......

I love pinball! Especially those old electro-mechanical pins from the 60's and 70's! I have a few on my wish list but the wife says I already have too many toys around the house and no room for more! lol

Look into a virtual pinball machine. You can save money and get an Arcade Legends one or spend (possibly a lot) more and get a custom one. They play recreations of real pinball tables or video game impossible-in-real-life pinball games. You can have a couple thousand pinball games in the space of one pinball table.

• TabeTabe Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭✭✭

In the arcade, without a doubt, Time Pilot was my favorite!

At home, was blessed to have access to a Strat-O-Flite pinball machine:

And, at Grandma's (yes, Grandma's!) was Mystic Marvel, a pinball machine my mom & uncle grew up playing:

@Tabe said:

@LandrysFedora said:

@Hydrant said:

Look into a virtual pinball machine. You can save money and get an Arcade Legends one or spend (possibly a lot) more and get a custom one. They play recreations of real pinball tables or video game impossible-in-real-life pinball games. You can have a couple thousand pinball games in the space of one pinball table.

I will check into that @Tabe, thank you!

• craig44craig44 Posts: 10,393 ✭✭✭✭✭

i was a big missile command fan

George Brett, Bobby Orr and Terry Bradshaw.

• MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 25, 2021 4:14PM

Not of my era but the local arcade had these

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • TiborTibor Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭✭✭

@galaxy27 said:
    i smoked Qix like crack back in the early 80s

the sound effects still slay me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wvzyd0OZg1I

Loved playing QIX in the very early 80s. I thought I was a stud getting 120K points regularly. There were half a dozen in my area. Went to the Knoxville World's Fair in 1982. They had an arcade with several dozen video games. They had 6 or7 QIX games. The top 10 scores on each one were over a million points. Didn't play just left. Wouldn't mind playing a game or two now.

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,357 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Tabe said:
    In the arcade, without a doubt, Time Pilot was my favorite!

At home, was blessed to have access to a Strat-O-Flite pinball machine:

And, at Grandma's (yes, Grandma's!) was Mystic Marvel, a pinball machine my mom & uncle grew up playing:

WOW I totally forgot about Time Pilot!! I loved that game!!

Scramble was one of my favorites

• DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have ps2 discs that have a lot of these games. good stuff, the stuff i'd hit the arcade and spend money on - pac mans across the board, tempest, asteroids all versions, all the kongs, etc

I probably allocated a year of my life to this game

• coolstanleycoolstanley Posts: 2,416 ✭✭✭✭✭

Loved Asteroids. I prefer any pinball. Also Ms pac man and kaboom.

Terry Bradshaw was AMAZING!!

Ignore list -Basebal21

This was another great game

• 2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,231 ✭✭✭✭✭

Any pin ball machine that I could rack up free games. Always had to leave 4-5 games for the kids waiting as I had to go. There was a pinball game at 2 guys. The maintenance guy would unplug to get us to leave it because my buddy and I played all day for free on the free games I racked up. Hand, eye coordination was superior to the games.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭✭✭

I spent much time my senior year at UGA racking up free games on the pinball machines in the student center between classes. Had the high score on Star Trek Next Gen and Guns N Roses for like the whole year.

tempest was incredible @perkdog

my final contribution.........moon patrol anyone?

Another favorite

• Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

@galaxy27 said:
    I probably allocated a year of my life to this game

Indeed, That was one of my favorites!

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 26, 2021 9:09AM

Now I remember! Pac Man and Joust. Joust had knights riding on ostriches. Self explanatory. I used to play them every Friday night at the local pizza joint when my first two boys were very young. Good memories. Mama served up the best meatballs ever! Made fresh daily.

I am pumped!! I didn’t realize you could buy these games for the PS4!!

• FluxFlux Posts: 149 ✭✭

Zelda

• thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Flux said:
    Zelda

Nice!