Home Sports Talk
Options

The Detroit Lions

HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've been following the Lions all season. Watched all their games. They are an O.k. team. They could have easily beat the Rams yesterday. And they have had some bad luck. And yes, Goff was up to his old tricks blowing it the red zone.....but......the coaching staff or whoever is calling the plays are MORONS. What's up with that?.......Are they cursed? They could have easily won the game yesterday. HORRIBLE PLAY CALLS. Why does anybody go to a Lions game? Whoever is running that show is an IDIOT.

Comments

• Options
    edited October 25, 2021 1:19PM

I don't figure that there will be any response to this thread. Why would there be? The Lions?.... Anyway.... did anyone see the Colts/ 49ers game last night? .....OH THAT RAIN......The Lovely Mrs. Hydrant told me that storm is going to hit here at 5 o'clock today. Coming down the coast. "Get your skinny ass out there and get ready!", she said. That's what I've been doing since 6 this morning....... The burn season on the ranch starts today. 5 o'clock. She's never wrong......just ask her.

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,491 ✭✭✭✭✭

I remember their new Head Coach coming in last year or whenever with his rough and tough no nonsense attitude and was laughing about it. They are a complete disaster of a team.

• Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭✭✭

Terrible play design or someone blew an assignment having two receivers within 3 yards of each other on Goffs interception in the end zone. Of course no one told Goff to throw it where there were 4 players in the space of a tea cup. Honestly they could have 2 wins. I mean come on, a donk 66 yard field goal and a 54 yard field goal on a drive with 37 seconds left.
    Last night I really thought that that was them getting off the snide until they were Goffed

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭✭✭

@perkdog said:
    I remember their new Head Coach coming in last year or whenever with his rough and tough no nonsense attitude and was laughing about it. They are a complete disaster of a team.

Bitting knee caps isn’t legal in the NFL this year. But I honestly think they have the makings of a decent team. The players aren’t really terrible. Jacksonville and the Jets have zero talent so it’s understandable they’re bad but Detroit will get a few wins………………….eventually

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,201 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bring the animals in so they don’t blow away

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,135 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 25, 2021 1:48PM

the Lions are such a sad sack franchise that arguably the two best players in its history said i've had enough of this pop tarts and quit prematurely

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 25, 2021 2:07PM

@Hydrant said:
    I've been following the Lions all season. Watched all their games. They are an O.k. team. They could have easily beat the Rams yesterday. And they have had some bad luck. And yes, Goff was up to his old tricks blowing it the red zone.....but......the coaching staff or whoever is calling the plays are MORONS. What's up with that?....... Are they cursed?
    They could have easily won the game yesterday. HORRIBLE PLAY CALLS. Why does anybody go to a Lions game? Whoever is running that show is an IDIOT.

The curse of Bobby Layne supposedly ended in 2008, but who knows...

• Options
    edited October 25, 2021 2:14PM

>

.....> @galaxy27 said:

the Lions are such a sad sack franchise that arguably the two best players in its history said i've had enough of this pop tarts and quit prematurely

Who were those two players...... Alex K.?....and ?..who? I want to know.

• Options

George Plimpton........the Lions GOAT!

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Hydrant said:
    >

.....> @galaxy27 said:

Who were those two players...... Alex K.?....and ?..who? I want to know.

Calvin Johnson
    Barry Sanders

• Options
    LandrysFedoraLandrysFedora Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bring back Wayne Fontes.

• Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

@galaxy27 said:

Their three best players of the last 50 years all either retired early (Barry & Megatron) or asked to be traded (Matthew Stafford). That's a pretty solid indictment of the organization. Heck, Barry was so mad he delayed his retirement until right before training camp (i.e. after the draft) so the team couldn't land a replacement before the upcoming season.

And, yet, somehow I'm still a fan.

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,956 ✭✭✭✭✭

Lions, Jets, Panthers, bottom of the barrell. Yes, I threw in the Panthers, they sack their own quarterback for gods sake!

• Options
    edited October 25, 2021 8:58PM

@Tabe said:

And, yet, somehow I'm still a fan.

You have my sympathy. I'm trying to be a Lions fan but it's really difficult.

• Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Hydrant said:

You have my sympathy. I'm trying to be a Lions fan but it's really difficult.

My wife gives me grief about it most Sundays. "Why are you still a fan? They NEVER win!" About a decade ago, she switched allegiances to the Seahawks. We live in Washington so it's Seahawks everywhere near us. "I want to root for a team that actually wins sometimes and whose stuff I can buy locally" - OK, cool. Me, I just can't switch. It's in my blood. I haven't lived in Michigan in over 26 years but I've only changed one allegiance - college basketball. I root for Gonzaga since I live in Spokane. They started their run of tournaments 6 months after we moved here and I caught the fever.

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Lions play calling was fine. Actually it was very good They recovered a surprise onside kick after they went up 7-0. They converted two fake punts. They converted two forth downs on their own side of the 50. In other words they threw the kitchen sink at the Rams. They have inferior talent. If not for all the aggressive play calling they wouldn't have been able to keep up with LA. They gave themselves a chance and like so many times before they couldn't finish the job.

Even if Goff wasn't picked off by Ramsey in the End Zone and if the Lions would have scored a TD instead the Rams would have marched down the field and kicked a game winning FG as time expired. It's just the way it is

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,305 ✭✭✭✭✭

As a MI born and relocated GA boy, my 2 football home teams are tough to root for but I do. Go Lions, Go Falcons!

• Options

@DrBuster said:
    As a MI born and relocated GA boy, my 2 football home teams are tough to root for but I do. Go Lions, Go Falcons!

Respect for standing by your teams

• Options

@Justacommeman said:
    The Lions play calling was fine. Actually it was very good They recovered a surprise onside kick after they went up 7-0. They converted two fake punts. They converted two forth downs on their own side of the 50. In other words they threw the kitchen sink at the Rams. They have inferior talent. If not for all the aggressive play calling they wouldn't have been able to keep up with LA. They gave themselves a chance and like so many times before they couldn't finish the job.

Even if Goff wasn't picked off by Ramsey in the End Zone and if the Lions would have scored a TD instead the Rams would have marched down the field and kicked a game winning FG as time expired. It's just the way it is

m

You do make some good points. Especially about the two trick kicking plays. They were fun to see, had the Rams and the fans totally confused and they were successful! But they passed up two? field goal attempts that ended up being killers. Anyway, I was pulling for them and when they went up 10-0 in the first quarter I thought they had a chance. But Goff was Goff in the red zone when it mattered most so it just wasn't to be. The Rams will be fine win or lose but the Lions need a win........I've found my underdog team to root for.......it was a good game.

• Options
    edited October 26, 2021 8:58AM

Oh, and Jalen Ramsey has made 3 late fourth quarter interceptions this season that were crucial to the Rams winning. Against the Colts, Seahawks?, and Lions. Without him and those three catches the Rams could easily have a losing record. 3-4.

• Options

Bettors do not like the Lions’ chances of winning a game in 2021.
    Just over 55% of bettors at BetMGM are betting that Detroit will go 0-17 this season. The Lions would become the first franchise to go 0-17 in NFL history if that happens and the first franchise in NFL history to have two winless seasons. The 2008 Lions were 0-16.
    The Lions (0-7) are just +700 to go winless this season. That’s a scary thought for Lions fans. Especially given the odds for when Detroit will win its first game of the season.

The Lions are +135 to get their first win of the season over the Eagles on Sunday. From then, no game has odds lower than +500. The Lions’ trip to Pittsburgh is at +550, Detroit’s trip to Cleveland is at +800 and a win over the Bears on Thanksgiving — assuming Detroit has lost three more games — is at +500.
    Nearly 10% of bettors like the Lions to win over the Eagles while 8% of bettors like them to get their first win of the season over the Bears. If you think Detroit is going to win on Sunday, go ahead and take them on the moneyline rather than on the prop bet. You can get Detroit to win at +145 on the moneyline.

Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options

I’m eyeballing Detroit for a W against the Eagles this Sunday myself actually

• Options

@perkdog said:
    I’m eyeballing Detroit for a W against the Eagles this Sunday myself actually

Wear protective eyewear my friend

m

• Options

• Options

Can anything save this franchise? Who would know where to begin

• Options
    Alfonz24Alfonz24 Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭✭✭

@perkdog said:

Luck and a generational player. With the luck not to screw that up.

For luck I think of the Chicago Bulls, who had the third pick in 1984. The luck being the first 2 teams wanted big men. And Jordan fell into their lap.

#LetsGoSwitzerlandThe Man Who Does Not Read Has No Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read. The biggest obstacle to progress is a habit of “buying what we want and begging for what we need.”You get the Freedom you fight for and get the Oppression you deserve.
  • Options

@Alfonz24 said:

@perkdog said:

Luck and a generational player. With the luck not to screw that up.

For luck I think of the Chicago Bulls, who had the third pick in 1984. The luck being the first 2 teams wanted big men. And Jordan fell into their lap.

Or a 6th round # 199 nobody and getting lucky all around with a situation developing out of nowhere.