Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Did Topps really leave Wander out of the 2021 update series ?

I hope they lose a lot of money if they decided to just leave Wander out of the update series so they can market him for 2022 series one. I mean unless my eyes were deceiving me he made his MLB debut, lol.

https://www.beckett.com/news/2021-topps-update-series-baseball-cards/#:~:text=2021 Topps Update Series Baseball Wraps Up the,up as soon as they’re available, likely

I cannot hit curveball. Straightball I hit it very much. Curveball, bats are afraid.
Collecting:
post world war II HOF rookie
76 topps gem mint 10 commons 9 stars
Arenado purple refractors(Rockies) Red (Cardinals)
successful deals with Keevan, Grote15, 1954, mbogoman

Comments

• tulsaboytulsaboy Posts: 281 ✭✭✭

I had heard that he was not going to be in Update, I suspect so that they can make 2022 Series 1 sizzle a bit more. Probably simply a marketing strategy so their sales folks can trump it up over the winter. When I looked at the Update lineup a week or so ago, I didn't see anyone that really jumped out as a reason to buy big. Of course, I'm sure I will be proven wrong...
    kevin

• CdnOsfanCdnOsfan Posts: 279 ✭✭✭

As tulsaboy said, but not just 2022 Series 1, ALL their 2022 products. They did this with Yordan Alvarez for example. He already won ROY before he got his "official RC." It sucks but they need Wander to push ALL the product next year. 1000 "different" Rookie cards is better for Topps than a handful in a couple products. What is the over/under on the number of "different" Wander RCs next year?

• ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭

King of a no-brainer. Put him in one set that's going to sell anyway or have him in every set next year to insure they all blow off the shelf. Business 101.

Arthur

• FluxFlux Posts: 149 ✭✭

Word to the wise on Wander. Parallels & Variations only. Stashing unopened would be crazy.

@Flux said:
    Word to the wise on Wander. Parallels & Variations only. Stashing unopened would be crazy.

I'm kind of fascinated to watch unopened trends for the next decade, particularly for 2010-2025 Topps products. Some of those, particularly 2011 Update (Trout) have gone sky high. Others have not moved much at all. It will be interesting to see how/if this period of unopened product rises in price over the next 10 years, if it stagnates, or if it becomes our generation's 1988 Donruss.
    kevin

• FluxFlux Posts: 149 ✭✭

@tulsaboy said:

@Flux said:

I'm kind of fascinated to watch unopened trends for the next decade, particularly for 2010-2025 Topps products. Some of those, particularly 2011 Update (Trout) have gone sky high. Others have not moved much at all. It will be interesting to see how/if this period of unopened product rises in price over the next 10 years, if it stagnates, or if it becomes our generation's 1988 Donruss.
    kevin

While still massively produced, I think the overall preferred trend towards Topps Chrome cards will continue to out perform Topps paper products.

• rexvosrexvos Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭✭✭

it is not Topps call or Panini would print a ton of Wander RC logo cards. It has to do with call up dates and MLB.

Looking for FB HOF Rookies
  • ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭

@tulsaboy said:

@Flux said:

kevin

There's a gargantuan difference between production runs from say 2010-2015 and even a subsequent year as close as 2017. The prices of unopened from 2012 and 2013 had probably doubled on most in the past few years and in some cases the growth has been multiple times that.

The Trout era is really a perfect storm. By 2009, the hobby had bottomed out with the least amount of products produced in at least a decade. It wasn't until Harper started to bring people back into the hobby and the hobby went on tilt in terms of young prospects that performed at an All-Star level for many years in a row before production runs began to creep back up, hitting the first of many crescendos in 2017 with Aaron Judge.

You can't compare the early-'10s with the late-'10s. Just two entirely different markets.

Arthur

• CakesCakes Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ReggieCleveland said:

@tulsaboy said:

@Flux said:

kevin

There's a gargantuan difference between production runs from say 2010-2015 and even a subsequent year as close as 2017. The prices of unopened from 2012 and 2013 had probably doubled on most in the past few years and in some cases the growth has been multiple times that.

The Trout era is really a perfect storm. By 2009, the hobby had bottomed out with the least amount of products produced in at least a decade. It wasn't until Harper started to bring people back into the hobby and the hobby went on tilt in terms of young prospects that performed at an All-Star level for many years in a row before production runs began to creep back up, hitting the first of many crescendos in 2017 with Aaron Judge.

You can't compare the early-'10s with the late-'10s. Just two entirely different markets.

Arthur

Good info.

Thank you,
    BC

Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • GOBUCKSGOBUCKS Posts: 47 ✭✭

Topps already released this a month or so ago when they showed what next years design is going to look like. His card was the display for it

Arthur

That's a really insightful analysis. It almost sounds to me to be analogous to the difference between, say, 1980-1986 production numbers and 1987-1993 or so. There was a steady ramp-up from 1980-1986, but by 1987-1988 the manufacturers were really hitting their stride. There are relatively significant differences in the availability of unopened product from 1980 to 1981, and then 1981/1982 to 1985/1986. But those numbers pale in comparison to 1987-1988.

I am still quite interested to see how the long-term market views this period of unopened product. If, as you say, 2010-2015 production was relatively modest, and 2017-2021 has been vastly expanded, it will be interesting to see if the market reacts to that production level in the same way it has reacted to the difference between early/mid 1980's product and late 1980's-early 1990's product.

Either way, it will be fun to observe the market for those years.

kevin