Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Collection of comics, sports cards (baseball, hockey), game cards, others, how much to offer?

trynixtrynix Posts: 1

Hi everyone!!

Someone in my city is offering this whole collection for purchase as-is with no inspection. I know it's very hard to estimate such things, but how much would you offer for this?

Answers

• Options
    edwardjulioedwardjulio Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 28, 2021 10:13AM

End Systemic Elitism - It Takes All Of Us

• Options
    Klif50Klif50 Posts: 662 ✭✭✭✭

$250 all in

• Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,596 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 23, 2021 6:38PM

Nice round figure

1000 bucks (honeslty, I have the faintest idea on cards/comics)

I did this once on a coin deal similar. Guy actually comes in the shop with 3-4 tubs full of stuff. I take him in the conference room and start pulling things out writing them down. He said "this is going to take a while" Just give me a price for the whole deal. I said i dont know what's here, I asked him how much he wanted, he said 10k, I breezed thru it for about 5 min and said 7500. he said Ill pass, so I starting boxing it back up and he said ok Ill take the 7500 cash. Actually did okay on it after everything said and done about 8500-9k

Oh, one more time, this was in southern pines, NC a year or two earlier. I actually knew the guy somewhat from prior coin club when southern pines had one, I went over to his house and he had a dining room table slam full of stuff from end to end, some good coins, some face value state quarters, bags of halves, world, just a big array of stuff. I pulled out the first 2x2 box and started going thru it, huge assortment, pennines, silver dollars,early type, some junk, eyc. after dickering over the first box for nearly an hour, I said, what will you take for the whole deal right now. I breezed thru and did a fast figure, and we agreed at 40k . loaded it up and left. it was a tuff 3 months, but was able to do all-right due to a couple of hidden goodies.

• Options
    pab1969pab1969 Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like mostly 90's junk wax and worthless comics. If you want to purchase it for the enjoyment of spending hours sorting for a gem then I would offer $200 to $300. For resale value I would offer $50. I'm sure any gems have been cherrypicked already.

• Options
    FirstBeardFirstBeard Posts: 466 ✭✭✭

Looks like tons of early 90s hockey. Not my area (neither are comics). I did spot binders of what look to be old Magic the Gathering cards. If those are the right sets, those binders alone may be worth way more than that entire pallet.

• Options
    dontippetdontippet Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭✭

Comics can be hit and miss. I didn't see anything worth even going through on the baseball cards. I agree that the MTG cards may be the best value here. I would not go $1,000. My starting point was $100, but I can see going $200-$300. But like has been already mentioned, this has probably already been cherry picked.

> [Click on this link to see my ebay listings.](https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=&_in_kw=1&_ex_kw=&_sacat=0&_udlo=&_udhi=&_ftrt=901&_ftrv=1&_sabdlo=&_sabdhi=&_samilow=&_samihi=&_sadis=15&_stpos=61611&_sargn=-1&saslc=1&_salic=1&_fss=1&_fsradio=&LH_SpecificSeller=1&_saslop=1&_sasl=mygirlsthree3&_sop=12&_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_fosrp=1)
    >

Successful transactions on the BST boards with rtimmer, coincoins, gerard, tincup, tjm965, MMR, mission16, dirtygoldman, AUandAG, deadmunny, thedutymon, leadoff4, Kid4HOF03, BRI2327, colebear, mcholke, rpcolettrane, rockdjrw, publius, quik, kalinefan, Allen, JackWESQ, CON40, Griffeyfan2430, blue227, Tiggs2012, ndleo, CDsNuts, ve3rules, doh, MurphDawg, tennessebanker, and gene1978.
  • Options
    BarfvaderBarfvader Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭✭

Well, the two Xena dolls look to be roughly selling for $25 to $30ish each.

West Coast Avengers comic Vol 2 #46 in one of the pics had a sale of a NM copy for $11 + $4.20 shipping. Probably (no expert here) but would imagine most of the comics would sell in the $1 range and could take forever to do that (just an uneducated opinion). Might be a few good ones but as-is with no inspection would turn me off right away. No way to gauge any idea from just the pics.

I see a partial box of what looks to be unopened Hockey packs. Red tote I see an unopened pack of Back To The Future 2, box of Topps Widevision Star Wars ($40 to $60ish in sales) but without being able to inspect no way to know if it's opened or not.

12th picture down I see cards with rubber bands holding them together. They appear to be older looking but just no way to know.

I think the consensus here is going to be offer low (WAY low) and if seller doesn't bite, ask what their thinking.

• Options
    miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,226 ✭✭✭✭✭

@FirstBeard said:
    Looks like tons of early 90s hockey. Not my area (neither are comics). I did spot binders of what look to be old Magic the Gathering cards. If those are the right sets, those binders alone may be worth way more than that entire pallet.

This. But you'd have to get a closer look to make sure they are the "good" ones

• Options
    dontippetdontippet Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭✭

It really all depends when this was cherry-picked. I recently went through a box of cards (about 15,000 total) that I had left at my parents about 25 years ago because they were worthless and I had already cherry picked them. Ended up being about $2,000 in today's sell prices since some stuff had increased in price. The most valuable was about 1600 GPK cards. 25 years ago they were junk, now you can move them easily.

> [Click on this link to see my ebay listings.](https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=&_in_kw=1&_ex_kw=&_sacat=0&_udlo=&_udhi=&_ftrt=901&_ftrv=1&_sabdlo=&_sabdhi=&_samilow=&_samihi=&_sadis=15&_stpos=61611&_sargn=-1&saslc=1&_salic=1&_fss=1&_fsradio=&LH_SpecificSeller=1&_saslop=1&_sasl=mygirlsthree3&_sop=12&_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_fosrp=1)
    >

Successful transactions on the BST boards with rtimmer, coincoins, gerard, tincup, tjm965, MMR, mission16, dirtygoldman, AUandAG, deadmunny, thedutymon, leadoff4, Kid4HOF03, BRI2327, colebear, mcholke, rpcolettrane, rockdjrw, publius, quik, kalinefan, Allen, JackWESQ, CON40, Griffeyfan2430, blue227, Tiggs2012, ndleo, CDsNuts, ve3rules, doh, MurphDawg, tennessebanker, and gene1978.
  • Options
    AhmanfanAhmanfan Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭✭

Looks like junk that the seller thinks is worth A LOT more than it is. It’s worth $250, they think it’s worth 5k.

Collecting
    HOF SIGNED FOOTBALL RCS
  • Options

Saw something similar to this during the summer.

About 50 miles from my location. Was supposed to be from a storage unit buy out and it was priced but can't remember exactly what they wanted. Think it was either $1,000 or $1,500 with best offer. It certainly wasn't higher and could have been lower.

I joked with the wife that I was going to buy them. She was fine with it (gotta love my wife). I looked over the images and first thing I was seeing is a lot of junk era stuff. Then the brain kicks in and starts saying "but what about what could be there". Then I'm seeing staining/fading on some of the boxes. They could be all messed up. Brain says "but some of it looks like it was stored correctly" and "my gawd, look at all those binders, got to be something good in those" but reality saying where in Hades am I going to put all that????

So I didn't bother with it. Of course I STILL wonder what might have been in that mess. :D

• Options

@timcarrollart might buy this for the shades of color available. I saw one of his recent projects and he might be running low on '87 checklists and '86 backs for that weird red color.

• Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,538 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Barfvader said:
    Saw something similar to this during the summer......

You might have made your money back on binders and pages, and tossing the cards. lol

• Options
    AANVAANV Posts: 329 ✭✭✭

@Barfvader said:

About 50 miles from my location. Was supposed to be from a storage unit buy out and it was priced but can't remember exactly what they wanted. Think it was either $1,000 or $1,500 with best offer. It certainly wasn't higher and could have been lower.

I joked with the wife that I was going to buy them. She was fine with it (gotta love my wife). I looked over the images and first thing I was seeing is a lot of junk era stuff. Then the brain kicks in and starts saying "but what about what could be there". Then I'm seeing staining/fading on some of the boxes. They could be all messed up. Brain says "but some of it looks like it was stored correctly" and "my gawd, look at all those binders, got to be something good in those" but reality saying where in Hades am I going to put all that????

So I didn't bother with it. Of course I STILL wonder what might have been in that mess. :D

It looked like this truck was on the way to the dump.

• Options
    FluxFlux Posts: 149 ✭✭

@AANV said:

@Barfvader said:

It looked like this truck was on the way to the dump.

If I was that collection I would want to dump that truck too.

• Options
    edited October 27, 2021 4:42AM

Those trucks are actually in decent looking condition as MANY worse on the roads here. Between the salt water from the ocean and the liquid crap they dump on the roads in winter (along with sand and salt on secondary roads) cars/trucks take a beating.

• Options

@nam812 said:

@Barfvader said:
    Saw something similar to this during the summer......

You might have made your money back on binders and pages, and tossing the cards. lol

I know. I probably would have been tempted at a couple hundred dollars but still would have been pulling out what's left of my hair trying to deal with it. Think I'm getting old because I would have jumped on something like that few years back.

Now if that had been a couple pickup loads of vinyl records. :p

• Options
    AhmanfanAhmanfan Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭✭

The collection in the truck looks much more promising and worth taking a stab at.

Collecting
    HOF SIGNED FOOTBALL RCS
  • Options
    Jayman1982Jayman1982 Posts: 464 ✭✭✭

The fact they put the 1990 Bure RC on display says to me they knew which cards were worth removing in the lot and therefore likely stripped everything of value out of it.