Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

PCGS New World Variety Report October 2021

This month has been active with several new varieties being added to the PCGS database and census. These include an incredible doubled die from Germany and a new doubled die for the popular Mexico Onza series, along with some other interesting varieties.

The first new variety now recognized by PCGS is a Germany Weimar Republic 1925-D 3 Reichsmarks. This coin is a circulating commemorative issue celebrating the 1,000th year of the Rhineland. This coin, issued with a D mint mark for Munich, boasts a listed mintage of 252,027. However, this example is different, featuring a very strong doubled die obverse. This doubled die is most noticeable on the “25” of the date.

Full report: https://www.pcgs.com/news/pcgs-new-world-variety-report-october-2021

Want our top articles delivered to your e-mail inbox bi-weekly? Join our e-newsletter here: https://www.pcgs.com/newsletter

Comments

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 22, 2021 3:25PM

Just a friendly suggestion- It might help promote interest if PCGS acknowledges what varieties they will recognize. There are some amazing varieties that should be mainstream but instead they seem afew steps removed because these coins are simply ignored by TPG... My apologies for my bluntness, but that is how it is.

As an example, the GB Churchill Crown double die was discovered about 35-40 years ago but it still has not navigated its way to the mainstream.

There are different varieties to the reverse of the GB 1951 Crown that are bold and obvious that will not likely ever make it to the mainstream.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,540 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coinkat said:
    Just a friendly suggestion- It might help promote interest if PCGS acknowledges what varieties they will recognize. There are some amazing varieties that should be mainstream but instead they seem afew steps removed because these coins are simply ignored by TPG... My apologies for my bluntness, but that is how it is.

As an example, the GB Churchill double die was discovered about 35-40 years ago but it still has not navigated its way to the mainstream.

There are different varieties to the reverse of the GB 1951 crown that are bold and obvious that will not likely ever make it to the mainstream.

Great suggestion. As someone who's sent in a number of new varieties in the past with some attributed and some not - would be great to hear some kind of a guideline.