Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

New Mexico 8 reale purchase

Found an odd one on ebay and took a flyer. Some dates on Mexico cap and rays were just not struck very well and have soft centers. 1839-MO is one of those dates. Coin is graded ms-63 and looking at the centers you would not guess that grade. The rest of the coin is very clean and well struck. Image is PCGS trueview and an accurate representation.

Comments

• Options
    pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice coin and nice early date. They used the dies until they broke, and sometimes even beyond, if they could manage.

• Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,860 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great buy ! Congratulations ....I missed that one.

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,769 ✭✭✭✭✭

The 1839 Mo seems to be somewhat of an unusual date- I bought what I thought was well struck and decent for the date about 10-12 years - submitted it to NGC and it graded 53- was very disappointed. I still have it.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    dizzleccdizzlecc Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭

Thanks Bidask, Think I caught the auction within a day of being listed. Did about 30 minutes of research but pulled the trigger fairly quickly.

Thought process was similar to Coinkat. Do I wait for a well struck au version or go for the quality of mint state and accept the soft strike.

After receiving the coin, happy with the purchase and the quality of the coin.