Home Sports Talk
Options

Best deep ball passer?

doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,976 ✭✭✭✭✭

Which of these guys is the best deep ball passer in the NFL?

Comments

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,527 ✭✭✭✭✭

for deep passes, I mean deep, give me Allen.

otherwise, for intermediate passes10-30 yards, give me tommy, all day. even at 44

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options

I mean, look at his face in that picture above. maybe i just better pick Tommy. he looks angry. even a little scary.

• Options
    edited October 21, 2021 8:39AM

Yes, Brady looks ferocious in that picture, the complete opposite of Rodgers, he looks like he should be driving a moped with Harry Dunne on the back.

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

DD, remember, Rodgers can easily be criticized for his play and leadership style. That should be your focus. 😂😂

• Options

@thisistheshow said:
    DD, remember, Rodgers can easily be criticized for his play and leadership style. That should be your focus. 😂😂

Why stop there, when there are plenty of tasty criticism fruits to harvest.

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

@doubledragon said:

@thisistheshow said:

Why stop there, when there are plenty of tasty criticism fruits to harvest.

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

• Options

I am shocked at how high up on this list Cam Newton is..

• Options

@perkdog said:

That is shocking, I never would have expected that.

• Options
    streeterstreeter Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭✭✭

In the olden days of yesteryear, just a pure animal passer.
    Steve Bartkowski.
    From one end zone to the other. One bounced it. 85-90 yards in the air. Fall 1971.

Have a nice day
  • Options

@doubledragon said:

@perkdog said:

It’s almost as shocking as Geno Smith still being in the league!!

• Options

@perkdog said:

@doubledragon said:

@perkdog said:

It's funny because the Seahawks have Geno Smith as their starter right now, and Pete Carroll actually reached out to Cam Newton and talked to him, I don't know if they're going to sign Newton or not.

• Options

@doubledragon said:

@perkdog said:

@doubledragon said:

@perkdog said:

It's funny because the Seahawks have Geno Smith as their starter right now, and Pete Carroll actually reached out to Cam Newton and talked to him, I don't know if they're going to sign Newton or not.

Cam states he got the vax so that hang up is gone, I’d still be surprised if he gets a call though.

• Options

@perkdog said:

@doubledragon said:

@perkdog said:

@doubledragon said:

@perkdog said:

Cam states he got the vax so that hang up is gone, I’d still be surprised if he gets a call though.

I don't think the Seahawks will sign him either, I would be shocked if they did, I think Newton wants to play really bad after getting the vax.

• Options

@doubledragon said:

@perkdog said:

@doubledragon said:

@perkdog said:

@doubledragon said:

@perkdog said:

I don't think the Seahawks will sign him either, I would be shocked if they did, I think Newton wants to play really bad after getting the vax.

Aside from his inability to be a good QB I got nothing bad to say about him after his New England tenure, he conducted himself like a gentleman in my opinion. The only hiccup was when he was asking for Pats fans “Loyalty” lol. That was actually confusing but I wish him well

• Options

by all accounts, Cam was a great teammate. there is just that small thing about the lack of ability to throw the football accurately.

• Options

I also wish Cam Newton the best, I hope he finds a team.

• Options

Now back to Mr. Rodgers, I would buy a ticket just to get one crack at this.

• Options
    LandrysFedoraLandrysFedora Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭✭✭

For the deep pass I would choose Russell Wilson. He has a cannon strong arm still. If I'm wrong, correct me, but I believe he could have gone down the baseball career path in his younger days throwing an upper 90's fastball.

• Options
    VikingDudeVikingDude Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭

I hate to point out the obvious but yards per catch is a terrible stat to measure this by because that includes yards after the catch. I think there is a stat for "yards thrown"

• Options

@VikingDude said:
    I hate to point out the obvious but yards per catch is a terrible stat to measure this by because that includes yards after the catch. I think there is a stat for "yards thrown"

Agreed, I mean a QB can throw a check down and have the guy run for 80 yards and a score and the QB gets an “80 Yard TD Pass”.

“Yards thrown” is a tough stat to keep track of especially with YAC by the receiver

• Options

@craig44 said:

otherwise, for intermediate passes10-30 yards, give me tommy, all day. even at 44.........

For a number of years now, Brady has been the best deep passer in the game. I know last year there was some struggle. But he is the best passer, period. He spent off season after off season working on his craft. He is like Bird. BIrd could hit from anywhere at any time. Any angle. Brady doesn't throw the side arm, off angle throws. He makes the same throw, every time, regardless of where his body is. Even if he is falling over, getting hit, etc. He can't throw it the farthest. But he is the best. Yes, I said it.

• Options

@perkdog said:

@doubledragon said:

@perkdog said:

@doubledragon said:

@perkdog said:

@doubledragon said:

@perkdog said:

Aside from his inability to be a good QB I got nothing bad to say about him after his New England tenure, he conducted himself like a gentleman in my opinion. The only hiccup was when he was asking for Pats fans “Loyalty” lol. That was actually confusing but I wish him well

......i've shared this story before, here. and on other forums. But I will share it again, because I believe it is important. If just one person reads this and is somehow helped or motivated by it, I am blessed. Anyway, I digress,

After the SB where Cam didn't dive on the ball, I was upset. (not as upset as @doubledragon ) I remember thinking two things. One, he was so different than Brady, who would always dive on it. And two, how can you not dive on a ball in the SB? It is so many people's dream to be there. I got angry and decided I didn't like him. how could he waste that opportunity. When there was rumor that the Pats would sign him, I was upset. I knew I had the fumble story as ammo, and I could post that. But I wanted more. I intentionally sought out negative information about Newton. And do you know what happened? My searched turned up.....the opposite. It was page after page, stories, forums, articles, about his charitable work. That he does most often in total anonymity. And if I wanted to think that , well, he's rich, of course he can do that, I then found stories of him doing this even as a freshman in college. About how he contacted a local school or, I forget, and found out how he could come in and work with kids. Cam didn't waste his opportunity, he made the most of it by helping people. I knew, after reading this, that God was teaching me a lesson. He humbled me.

• Options

@doubledragon said:
    Now back to Mr. Rodgers, I would buy a ticket just to get one crack at this.

DD, don't worry about his hair buddy. I'm serious. It's not healthy for you. Do a deep dive on his lack of coachability. Or his lack of commitment to throwing fundamentals.

• Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,293 ✭✭✭✭✭

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Options

@thisistheshow said:

@craig44 said:

otherwise, for intermediate passes10-30 yards, give me tommy, all day. even at 44.........

For a number of years now, Brady has been the best deep passer in the game. I know last year there was some struggle. But he is the best passer, period. He spent off season after off season working on his craft. He is like Bird. BIrd could hit from anywhere at any time. Any angle. Brady doesn't throw the side arm, off angle throws. He makes the same throw, every time, regardless of where his body is. Even if he is falling over, getting hit, etc. He can't throw it the farthest. But he is the best. Yes, I said it.

Brady is by all accounts a "gym rat" constantly working. Getting his throwing and motion and fundamentals down.

I remember in his 2001 season thinking his arm was average at best. after a few years of work, he really increased his Velo and was able to lengthen the field.

this is part of the reason I am not impressed, at all, with the young QBs who for some reason increase the degree of difficulty of some of their passes by dropping down sidearm (when not necessary), throwing off their back legs, throwing while jumping, no look passes and etc. all that junk is purely for style points. nothing else. it shows a lack of fundamentals and this shows up when said QBs fail to make a 14 yard pass and either sail it over the WR head or throw it into the dirt because their fundamental throwing motion is all jacked up.

when they lose their fast balls at age 31 because their arms are not as strong and have to learn fundamentals at that point, it will be very difficult for them and very telling.

• Options

@craig44 said:

@thisistheshow said:

@craig44 said:

Brady is by all accounts a "gym rat" constantly working. Getting his throwing and motion and fundamentals down.

I remember in his 2001 season thinking his arm was average at best. after a few years of work, he really increased his Velo and was able to lengthen the field.

this is part of the reason I am not impressed, at all, with the young QBs who for some reason increase the degree of difficulty of some of their passes by dropping down sidearm (when not necessary), throwing off their back legs, throwing while jumping, no look passes and etc. all that junk is purely for style points. nothing else. it shows a lack of fundamentals and this shows up when said QBs fail to make a 14 yard pass and either sail it over the WR head or throw it into the dirt because their fundamental throwing motion is all jacked up.

when they lose their fast balls at age 31 because their arms are not as strong and have to learn fundamentals at that point, it will be very difficult for them and very telling.

Here is an article from 2015 talking about it. For comparison, Aaron Rodgers does not do this. He does not make it a priority to throw consistently with the same motion or with his feet always set properly, etc.
    https://www.patspulpit.com/2015/11/22/9777726/tom-bradys-passing-mechanics-are-influenced-by-baseball

• Options

good article. the difference between brady and some other younger quarbacks is that his ability to make plays is made possible by his fantastic mechanics, while their ability is in spite of their mechanics. the problem, they will find, is that right now, at the peak of their physical abilities, they can get by on athletic talent alone. as they age, and those gifts start to wane, there will be nothing left. Look at Cam Newton. done at 32.