Home U.S. & World Currency Forum
Options

Series 1928E $1 Silver Certificate

Small size $1 Silver Certificates are sometimes misunderstood. Often I’ll hear someone say, circulated $1 SCs don’t have any value, you can buy them for under $5. Well, that may hold true for some 1957,1957A and 1957B SCs, but many of the older $1 SCs will set you back plenty, especially in uncirculated condition. This brings me to the 1928E $1 Silver Certificate. I consider this the key note for the series and available in all grades from Good 8 through 68 Super Gem. An example in a 67EPQ holder recently sold for $3K. Even raggedy VG examples sell for hundreds of dollars. A replacement note, in AU condition sold for $30K in 2018. Keep this in mind when scrolling eBay listings or rifling through your dealer junk box. Serial numbers for the series started with F72000001A, making this the 356th note printed for the series and it resides in a 65EPQ holder. Feel free to post your small size $1 SCs.

Comments

• Options
    sellitstoresellitstore Posts: 2,482 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice looking example.

Does the low serial number indicate that this was from a cut sheet? I can remember seeing the occasional sheet of these offered and presume that many or all of the high grade examples come from sheets.

I've been keeping my eye out for 28Es and 28Ds for decades but never have been able to cherrypick one. It's like a key date coin. Everyone knows how to spot a 1909SVDB cent, so your chance of finding one was always very small.

Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,505 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice note, I like the early ones as well

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,688 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice note! I have just these:

And Hawaii:

• Options

And North Africa:

I guess I’m kinda committed to 66 as my grade. :# some of these get kinda pricey in 66. Compromises may have to be made at some point.

• Options
    Steve_in_TampaSteve_in_Tampa Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

That Fr.1606 (1934 $1 SC) is simply gorgeous. My all time favorite, one-off face design, small-size one dollar Silver Certificate. Thanks for sharing @asheland.

• Options

@sellitstore said:
    Does the low serial number indicate that this was from a cut sheet? I can remember seeing the occasional sheet of these offered and presume that many or all of the high grade examples come from sheets.

My understanding is that this note is from the first consecutive pack of 100 available. I’ve seen several others that were only a few numbers away from mine, also in uncirculated condition.

• Options

@Steve_in_Tampa said:
    That Fr.1606 (1934 $1 SC) is simply gorgeous. My all time favorite, one-off face design, small-size one dollar Silver Certificate. Thanks for sharing @asheland.

Thanks! I was impressed when I opened the package too. It’s nice for sure. :)

• Options

The design of small-size one dollar silver certificates stayed the same from series 1928 through series 1928E. Series 1934 was a one year series design change and then the design changed again for series 1935 and up until the end of small-size SCs , ending with series 1957B.