Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

How would a scratch affect PSA grade?

I bought a 2021 Topps Chrome Jo Adell SP Image Variation Red Parallel /5 on eBay and spent a pretty penny on it. Just got it from the seller and saw that it has a surface scratch that I didn't notice in the listing. I am wondering if I should send it back to the seller or should I get it graded depending on how the scratch affects the PSA grade.

Assuming the Edges, Corners, and Centering are Mint (or better), how would a surface scratch like the one in the picture, affect the PSA grade? Would it drop it instantly to a 6 or would I still have a shot at an 8 or 9?

Thank you for your answers in advance!

Comments

• Options
    RufussCkingstonRufussCkingston Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭✭

Figures a 1 feedback seller would have the pics show it in a penny sleeve, inside a toploader.... Maybe a 7, but think an 8 is out of the question and a 9 is a pipe dream....Looks like a little bit of edge chippage as well! I have no idea what the graded value of this card is, but paying $800 for a card and then finding a nice scratch sounds like a return to me...

• Options
    DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭✭✭

That’s a significant scratch. Definitely not an 8 or 9, no way. Maybe a 6.

Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• Options
    handymanhandyman Posts: 5,244 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yeah 6 or less probably a 5

• Options
    ndleondleo Posts: 4,078 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a 2016 Optic Goff auto with a scratch like that, it got an 8. The rest of the card was pristine which is why I submitted it with the scratch. I'll post when I get a chance.

Mike
  • Options
    ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yeah, if the rest of the card is gem the scratch will knock it down to an 8. I've had this happen many times on cards I've submitted. I was actually shocked that they gave them 8s.

Then again, that was under the old grading standards. I wouldn't be surprised if a surface scratch like that knocks the grade down further now.

Arthur

• Options

I think I'm going to ask for a return/refund on it.

Super disappointing because that's a very rare card that looks beautiful and I collect Jo Adell /5 (or red parallels). Maybe I'd hold onto it if the seller offered a partial refund, but it doesn't seem worth the money if the grading would drop significantly which it seems it would.

• Options

My experience with similar scratches on chrome cards are they knock the overall grade down about 2 points. You are probably looking at a 7.

• Options
    GansetttimeGansetttime Posts: 219 ✭✭✭

I'd say a 5. Based on my experience.

• Options
    voxels123voxels123 Posts: 240 ✭✭✭

The drama is amazingly strong on here. The scratch would be a PSA 8 if all else is "good."

• Options
    DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭✭✭

@voxels123 said:
    The drama is amazingly strong on here. The scratch would be a PSA 8 if all else is "good."

Not all scratches are created equal though. That’s a pretty bad one.

Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox