Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

PCGS Members Only Show - World Coins? On site Grading?

Questions for the group - there is a PCGS Members only show in my neighborhood next week.

From what I have heard about these shows, there are relatively few dealers - and I expect these are mostly US coin dealers. Should I expect any world coins on display?

Also, is onsite/walk through grading applicable to world coins? And, finally, can you get a TrueView from onsite grading?

Thanks in advance.

My current "Box of 20"

Comments

• Options
    pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,327 ✭✭✭✭✭

While I don't know for sure, I can tell you I did Mexican coin walkthroughs on two prior occasions at Long Beach (which is also a Collectors Universe show). Both times, they had to send the coins back to HQ for grading/authentication. One time, the coins were returned to LB by the end of the show (but one was a pattern and was attributed incorrectly, so I had to return it at the show for correction and they mailed it back to me). The other time, they just mailed the coins back to me on their dime since they could not deliver on the walkthrough.

Since the San Diego show is not near HQ, they probably cannot send them back to HQ the same day and get them back to you at the show. Hence, I would expect they can receive your coins, but will mail them back to you.

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

From what I understand, the coins are taken from the show to PCGS and returned the next day. I would suggest it's highly probable you could. The answer is just a phone call away!

@pruebas said:
    While I don't know for sure, I can tell you I did Mexican coin walkthroughs on two prior occasions at Long Beach (which is also a Collectors Universe show). Both times, they had to send the coins back to HQ for grading/authentication. One time, the coins were returned to LB by the end of the show (but one was a pattern and was attributed incorrectly, so I had to return it at the show for correction and they mailed it back to me). The other time, they just mailed the coins back to me on their dime since they could not deliver on the walkthrough.

Since the San Diego show is not near HQ, they probably cannot send them back to HQ the same day and get them back to you at the show. Hence, I would expect they can receive your coins, but will mail them back to you.