Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Difference between Splotchy toning and PVC damage?

Hi guys,

I had recently purchased an NGC certified Guatemala 1/4 Real only to dicover that there seems to be a slight lemony-lime colour splotch that seems to cover part of the surface. I was just wondering if it's PVC damage or just toning(and also how to tell the difference)?

Comments

• Options
    StellaStella Posts: 689 ✭✭✭✭

PVC tends to turn green over time rather than yellow, although it will take a while to go from whitish to truly green. When the coin is raw, it can develop an almost slimy feeling to the touch in the advanced stages, and you will also often see a "ghost image" of where the coin was on the offending PVC flip.

Changes are that this might be toning, as I have tended to find that NGC will correctly identify PVC and decline to holder coins that have it until the PVC is removed. However, images will not tell the complete story, so this is a best guess.

Coin collector since childhood and New York Numismatist at Heritage Auctions.
  • Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

From that picture it looks like the damage left behind from PVC(after being removed) being on the coin for a long time.

• Options
    QuezlQuezl Posts: 14 ✭✭

@amwldcoin said:
    From that picture it looks like the damage left behind from PVC(after being removed) being on the coin for a long time.

Would that then mean the residue is inert and should not deteriorate the condition of the coin any further?

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

From what I see there is no residue, just the resulting etching done by the PVC.

@Quezl said:

@amwldcoin said:

Would that then mean the residue is inert and should not deteriorate the condition of the coin any further?