Home Sports Talk
Options

Christian McCaffery

grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭

The guy is supremely talented but I remember thinking as I watched him pile up all those touches and carries each season prior to last, "there's no way a guy of this stature is going to be able to withstand this kind of weekly punishment for any extended period of time," and it appears now that is coming to pass. Any thoughts on how much a contributing factor that kind of workload was to his breaking down over the past couple of seasons with injuries?

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.

Comments

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,531 ✭✭✭✭✭

He is the Mike Trout of the NFL.

His workload is immense, catching the ball is just as much part of his game as it is a runner, there is no doubt it’s taken his toll but like anything it could be just a steady diet of the injury bug. He has so much talent it’s hard not to lean on him as much as Carolina has.

It wouldn’t hurt if they lightened his load a bit and we’re smart about his use, like if they find themselves up comfortably enough take him out or if the game is pretty much lost then stop trying to hit a useless score with him maybe. IDK I’m from the school that you should try to protect your franchise players as best as you can.

• Options

On the other hand look at Saquan Barkley, he has been hurt and his load is much less than McCaffrey’s

• Options
    edited October 16, 2021 3:48PM

@perkdog said:
    On the other hand look at Saquan Barkley, he has been hurt and his load is much less than McCaffrey’s

True, Barkley is just one of those guys who can't stay on the field. McCaffery was a 3-down beast for a a fair while but looking at his size and that kind of usage for as long as it lasted, I think it was inevitable he'd beak down sooner or later.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,252 ✭✭✭✭✭

They put him on IR to make sure he doesn’t try to come back too soon. Just 3 weeks because of the new Covid policy. Management must think the Panthers have a legitimate shot at the playoffs.

I think last year was his first real injury or am I forgetting something?

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options

@2dueces said:
    They put him on IR to make sure he doesn’t try to come back too soon. Just 3 weeks because of the new Covid policy. Management must think the Panthers have a legitimate shot at the playoffs.

You are correct but that now makes back to back seasons where he's missing significant playing time (he missed 13 games last season). Hopefully, he can get back on the field later this year and get back to his old self.

• Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,252 ✭✭✭✭✭

@grote15 said:

@2dueces said:

You are correct but that now makes back to back seasons where he's missing significant playing time (he missed 13 games last season). Hopefully, he can get back on the field later this year and get back to his old self.

Him and Julio Jones ruined a lot of fantasy teams last year. My daughter drafted Julio but I also talked her into Allen with a late pick last year. Seems to me Jones is a shadow of himself in just 18 games. OBJ is another one from top of the league to disappeared.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,550 ✭✭✭✭✭

heavy touches can break down some players quickly. remember Larry Johnson with KC back in the early 2000s. he was dominant but heavy usage broke him down in just a few seasons. I also remember barry foster with Pittsburg in the early 90s

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    LandrysFedoraLandrysFedora Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭✭✭

@craig44 said:
    heavy touches can break down some players quickly. remember Larry Johnson with KC back in the early 2000s. he was dominant but heavy usage broke him down in just a few seasons. I also remember barry foster with Pittsburg in the early 90s

Christian Okoye comes to mind for me. Seems he had a shortened career from heavy touches also.

• Options
    countdouglascountdouglas Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭✭✭

No posts/funny memes from @doubledragon on Christian McCaffery now being ruled out for the season?

• Options

When breaking news happens, I immediately come to sports talk to see what DD comes up with. He's kind of let me down lately, and I've started to get a wandering eye for my up to date sports gossip. I mean, I'm still waiting for DD commentary on the spicy DK Metcalf/Shannon Sharpe Twitter-feud from several weeks ago.

• Options

@doubledragon 😉👍

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, I've heard the news, now I wish to be alone, I have some plotting, excuse me, I mean thinking to do.

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 1, 2021 5:09AM

@countdouglas said:
    When breaking news happens, I immediately come to sports talk to see what DD comes up with. He's kind of let me down lately, and I've started to get a wandering eye for my up to date sports gossip. I mean, I'm still waiting for DD commentary on the spicy DK Metcalf/Shannon Sharpe Twitter-feud from several weeks ago.

You're killin' me @countdouglas. I'm diein' over here!

Edited to add: if you have complaints about @doubledragon 's work performance, file a complaint with @perkdog

• Options
    edited December 1, 2021 5:20AM

@thisistheshow No complaints. It's all in jest. Most of the time, as soon as I find out about a tasty morsel, DDs already posted the story and 5 memes. I'm just shocked when the occasional something breaks, and a day or 2 goes by, and crickets...Christian McCaffery, you'd have thought he'd have been all over that like Cam Newton on a fumble. 🤔 Perhaps @doubledragon just needed time to process and go through the 5 stages of grief?

• Options

Quiet please gentlemen, I'm trying to think. Someone must pay for this, I must have some kind of vengeance, but who?

• Options

@doubledragon said:
    Quiet please gentlemen, I'm trying to think. Someone must pay for this, I must have some kind of vengeance, but who?

If I might make a suggestion, you could take this opportunity to double down on your allegiance to the cats. Or.....you could come on over and see what it's like to be riding the waves of the Mac Attack! The choice is yours, choose wisely.

• Options

@thisistheshow said:

@doubledragon said:

If I might make a suggestion, you could take this opportunity to double down on your allegiance to the cats. Or.....you could come on over and see what it's like to be riding the waves of the Mac Attack! The choice is yours, choose wisely.

The Mac Attack, very interesting, I shall ponder your suggestion. Meanwhile, I have decided to vent my frustration at one individual in particular.

• Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,332 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is bad news for my unopened 2017 panini prizm boxes.
    No value for Deshaun Watson and now McCaffery.
    Bought them to diversify but its Mahomes or bust!!

• Options

They need to significantly reduce his workload, or cut their losses and trade him. All world talent does you no good on the injured reserve.

• Options
    fergie23fergie23 Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭✭

Is there any RB on a big 2nd contract (ie. top 5 annual salary when signed) that didn't get injured and/or have their performance drop significantly? It is seems like the biggest no-brainer in football to not sign these guys. Just franchise them when their rookie contract ends or trade them.

Robb

• Options

@fergie23 said:
    Is there any RB on a big 2nd contract (ie. top 5 annual salary when signed) that didn't get injured and/or have their performance drop significantly? It is seems like the biggest no-brainer in football to not sign these guys. Just franchise them when their rookie contract ends or trade them.

Robb

I agree, and as I said in another thread I started awhile ago, QBs on big second contracts almost never win the Super Bowl.