Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

How to Safely Remove a Signed Stargell Rookie from a Screwdown Hldr?

IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭✭

A buddy of mine has a signed Willie Stargell rookie that he has kept in a screwdown holder since he had Stargell sign it at a show over 30 years ago.

I told him the first thing he needs to do is get it out of the holder but I told him it has to be done safely.

What have other done in this situation?

Thanks

IMF

Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.

Comments

• Options
    brad31brad31 Posts: 2,569 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have just unscrewed and removed it. I have never had a card visibly damaged from removal. The most common problem is the card is "altered" from compression over time - removal method does not change this.

• Options
    or246or246 Posts: 108 ✭✭

No expert by any means. But, I was told to loosen one screw at at time and rotate each screw once all the way around until the top comes off. Seemed to work pretty good for me.

Currently working on 1970 Topps Hockey PSA 9 set
  • Options
    RufussCkingstonRufussCkingston Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 16, 2021 11:43AM

My only concern would be if part of the autograph has transferred to the case, but because it is in the middle of the card, where there is the least amount of pressure, should be fine. There can be issues of the ink on the corners being stuck to the top, but that would be because of the storage conditions, like if it was in the sun.

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭✭

Go very very slowly. i have had cards leave ink from the corner compression on the top of the holder.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭✭

Years ago I lost some corner ink as well.
    I heard to put the card in the freezer first and that helps prevent ink transfer

Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • Options
    dontippetdontippet Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭✭

I, too, was thinking that the freezer trick may be your best bet.

> [Click on this link to see my ebay listings.](https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=&_in_kw=1&_ex_kw=&_sacat=0&_udlo=&_udhi=&_ftrt=901&_ftrv=1&_sabdlo=&_sabdhi=&_samilow=&_samihi=&_sadis=15&_stpos=61611&_sargn=-1&saslc=1&_salic=1&_fss=1&_fsradio=&LH_SpecificSeller=1&_saslop=1&_sasl=mygirlsthree3&_sop=12&_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_fosrp=1)
    >

Successful transactions on the BST boards with rtimmer, coincoins, gerard, tincup, tjm965, MMR, mission16, dirtygoldman, AUandAG, deadmunny, thedutymon, leadoff4, Kid4HOF03, BRI2327, colebear, mcholke, rpcolettrane, rockdjrw, publius, quik, kalinefan, Allen, JackWESQ, CON40, Griffeyfan2430, blue227, Tiggs2012, ndleo, CDsNuts, ve3rules, doh, MurphDawg, tennessebanker, and gene1978.
  • Options
    IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭✭

@jay0791 said:
    Years ago I lost some corner ink as well.
    I heard to put the card in the freezer first and that helps prevent ink transfer

approximate time?

IMF

Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • Options

I have tried the freezer trick before. both for screw downs and for 90s type unopened that tend to like to stick together. I have never really had any success personally, but that is just me. it sure wont hurt to give it a try. I may put it in a zip lock bag first to make sure no moisture gets in there.

• Options
    jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭✭

Time is short

maybe 10 minutes

Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • Options
    weaselpuppyweaselpuppy Posts: 218 ✭✭✭

Had a signed ungraded bit tight looking Barry Sanders rookie lose paint to the top case. Brutal.

• Options
    robert67robert67 Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭✭

That is one awesome card!

• Options

I am glad everything came out alright!

• Options
    brad31brad31 Posts: 2,569 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks great. I had dozens of cards in screw downs that were in there for decades and bought 100s in screw downs and removed to binder them back in the day. I have never had an issue where the card was damaged in any way except possibly compression (I have never submitted a card to a TPG, but I would guess some of the cards I kept in screw downs for decades would come back altered if I did). However, so many cards were in screw downs in the 80s there have to be a significant number that did not suffer damage or vintage high grade cards would be even rarer than they are. I would guess half of Mantle’s cards were in screw downs at one time in their existence.

• Options
    GDM67GDM67 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭

@brad31 said:

I would guess half of Mantle’s cards were in screw downs at one time in their existence.

Used to see them at shows in those screwdowns with the big heavy bottom section. They looked like car batteries.

• Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

About thirty years ago I knew a guy who was trying to get a complete set of Red Sox, or perhaps Topps Red Sox. He despaired over the cost of the 1963 Gosger.

• Options
    handymanhandyman Posts: 5,244 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great now it’s in a top loader. To be continued.
    Jk glad it’s ok and looks like a nice card