Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Sovereign Coin Club

ExbritExbrit Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭✭
edited October 16, 2021 9:52AM in World & Ancient Coins Forum

A friend of mine and I are reaching out via a few different coin forums to determine whether or not there is an interest in starting a virtual Sovereign Coin Club. To my knowledge there presently is not a club that specializes in Sovereigns. The sovereign covers over a 500 year time span with the modern Sovereign covering over 200 years. Sovereigns are still being minted today and they were the most prominent coin in the world during the British Empire. It was minted at seven mints and in five countries. anyone that may be interested in joining/forming such a club, please contact me. As I said we will be reaching out to other forums to determine interest.

I intend to contact friends, dealers and auction houses in the UK, Canada and Australia to determine interest abroad - thus the need to be virtual.

Thanks

Comments

• Options

There might be, I have a few sovereigns myself, I had the 1989 until I recently sold it. Just waiting for the 2022 release in the next few weeks.

• Options
    deepblue30deepblue30 Posts: 70 ✭✭✭

Hi
    I might be interested if you can supply more information
    cheers deepblue

• Options

@deepblue30 said:
    Hi
    I might be interested if you can supply more information
    cheers deepblue

Right now it is just a concept to bring sovereign collectors from different parts of the world together to discuss history, varieties, research (new and old), collecting strategies, Collections, different mint characteristics and to provide a forum members a place to share their thoughts with others who specialize in the series. The club would act like any coin club, only it will be virtual since members would not be located in the same area.

I imagine, members could trade or sell/buy with/to other members if they wanted. Favorite dealers and/or auctions could be discussed for possible leads. New areas of research could be vetted.

What would you like the club to be?

BTW - nice collection. Do you happen to know Chris (CB collection)?

• Options
    StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just sovereigns or include half, double, 5 etc? I like them, have some, have a book about them, but not really more than a dilettante.

• Options

@Stork said:
    Just sovereigns or include half, double, 5 etc? I like them, have some, have a book about them, but not really more than a dilettante.

All of the above.

• Options
    deepblue30deepblue30 Posts: 70 ✭✭✭

Sorry Exbrit I know of Chris through Eric from Drake but have not been in contact with him. Still very interested in anything to do with sovereigns and varieties.

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very cool! Will this club be for general interest or will it also publish material like a journal or reference?

• Options

@Zoins said:
    Very cool! Will this club be for general interest or will it also publish material like a journal or reference?

Hopefully both.

• Options

Hi
    Love to know more and very interested !!

• Options

@Bif009 said:
    Hi
    Love to know more and very interested !!

I am waiting to hear from others - mostly those in other counties and will provide additional information once I hear from them.

• Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,886 ✭✭✭✭✭

A guy with one Ferrari joins a club
    A guy with one sovereign can watch from the sidelines.
    Good luck with this @Exbrit !
    Sounds like a fun project.

• Options
    PillarDollarCollectorPillarDollarCollector Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭✭✭

I say do it call up some major dealers get the word out at conventions.

Coin collecting interests: Latin America

Sports: NFL & NHL

• Options

If you on fb, there are numerous Sovereign specific groups to join.

• Options
    edited December 1, 2021 6:09PM

@DanB1962 said:
    If you on fb, there are numerous Sovereign specific groups to join.

I am not on Facebook (choice). I did not know there were sovereign groups on it. I may ask someone that is on it to look. Thanks for the heads up.

Are any of these groups interested in research? I think they are probably buy/sell, show me - types of groups.

• Options

Are any of these groups interested in research? I think they are probably buy/sell, show me - types of groups. <

I'm not sure what you mean by research.....there are long term collectors and dealers that specialize in Sovereigns, so yeah, there is a huge knowledge base. Here are some of the groups that i am aware of:

Gold Sovereigns and Modern British Proof Collectors Coins
    Numistacker's Gold, Silver and Sovereigns collecting

Also, on Youtube, search for the Royal Mint and Numistacker offerings.

• Options

@DanB1962 said:

Are any of these groups interested in research? I think they are probably buy/sell, show me - types of groups. <

I'm not sure what you mean by research.....there are long term collectors and dealers that specialize in Sovereigns, so yeah, there is a huge knowledge base. Here are some of the groups that i am aware of:

Gold Sovereigns and Modern British Proof Collectors Coins
    Numistacker's Gold, Silver and Sovereigns collecting

Also, on Youtube, search for the Royal Mint and Numistacker offerings.

Thanks - I’ll have someone take a look at hem, I’ve heard of the Numistacker site before.