Home Sports Talk

Troy Aikman

galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭✭✭

very curious to know if this guy grates on anyone else's nerves during a telecast. i'm seriously on the verge of lowering the volume to zero for any game that he & Buck are calling............because of him, not Buck. Joe Buck is certainly not his dad, but i've personally never had a problem listening to him. but Aikman? i swear, if he says something unfunny then laughs at it one more time i think i may lose my marbles. and if he's not doing that, he's saying "heck of a......." more times during a single game than every other person i've known in my entire life combined. and if he's not doing that, he's nudging me toward insanity by stating the absolute obvious on virtually every play.

if today started with an M and not an F, one might ascribe my perceived grouchiness to the day of the week it is. but seeing as it's a fabuloso Friday, it's most definitely not that. i'm actually feeling quite convivial today. i'm just tired of feeling like my IQ dropped a bushel of points every time i'm subjected to Troy Aikman for four quarters.

Comments

• craig44craig44 Posts: 10,393 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think you are probably in the majority when it comes to Aikman. personally, I can enjoy watching a broadcast with just about anyone announcing. I don't mind Aikman, I am so used to him at this point that it wouldn't seem like a FOX NFL broadcast without him talking.

George Brett, Bobby Orr and Terry Bradshaw.

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,357 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 15, 2021 10:14AM

I totally understand the annoyance with Aikman, he is definitely not someone I enjoy listening to. I really don’t can’t stand Chris Collinsworth though, he grates on my nerves more than anyone.

The “Heck of a ….” Thing that annoys you @galaxy27 reminds me of back in the day with Dan Dierdorff and his “In this league” thing over and over again uhhk

• keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

last night I think he talked about Tom Brady incessantly until management told him to knock it off. Aikman does drone a lot, doesn't he???

• JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm a Aikman/ Buck lower the volume kind of guy myself. I listened to a Podcast during last nights game

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • LandrysFedoraLandrysFedora Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭✭✭

@perkdog said:
    I totally understand the annoyance with Aikman, he is definitely not someone I enjoy listening to. I really don’t can’t stand Chris Collinsworth though, he grates on my nerves more than anyone.

The “Heck of a ….” Thing that annoys you @galaxy27 reminds me of back in the day with Dan Dierdorff and his “In this league” thing over and over again uhhk

As a Cowboys fan I loved Troy as a player obviously but not so much as an announcer. It may be my imagination, but it seems any Cowboys games he does he seems to go out of his way to not give any "love" to the boys. I'm not saying he should be a biased homer for his former team but it just seems he is way more likely to be critical of the boys and complimentary of given opponent. As for Collinsworth, I used to feel the same about him but he seems to have mellowed down over the years, he's grown on me I guess.

• 2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,231 ✭✭✭✭✭

I hear all the announcers and kinda tune them out until I see something they completely miss and call them idiots. None of them impress me or make me sick.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,357 ✭✭✭✭✭

@LandrysFedora said:

@perkdog said:

As a Cowboys fan I loved Troy as a player obviously but not so much as an announcer. It may be my imagination, but it seems any Cowboys games he does he seems to go out of his way to not give any "love" to the boys. I'm not saying he should be a biased homer for his former team but it just seems he is way more likely to be critical of the boys and complimentary of given opponent. As for Collinsworth, I used to feel the same about him but he seems to have mellowed down over the years, he's grown on me I guess.

He is definitely critical of his former team, I will give him that. I’d rather him be that way than make it obvious he is a Homer. Honestly though with the hype that surrounds the Cowboys I think it’s good they get his reality check in the booth.

Romo actually annoyed me at first and still does at times but damn he literally is a fortune teller up in that booth with seeing what is happening up there. It’s shocking to me that nobody has reached out to him for a coaching job, the guy knows football better than anyone I’ve ever seen in the booth.

• keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

Romo actually annoyed me at first and still does at times but damn he literally is a fortune teller up in that booth

some of the color guys/commentators can be pretty good at that, Romo especially so. I was watching a College game last weekend and the announcer did the same thing several times, called the play.

• 2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,231 ✭✭✭✭✭

@keets said:
    Romo actually annoyed me at first and still does at times but damn he literally is a fortune teller up in that booth

some of the color guys/commentators can be pretty good at that, Romo especially so. I was watching a College game last weekend and the announcer did the same thing several times, called the play.

Study enough film and when the teams line up in a certain situation you and I could have a pretty good idea their tendency. These guys have 7 days to study everything about 2 teams and they do it for a living. Names, plays, where they went to grammar school, breakfast favorites.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am not a huge fan of Aikman as a color commentator. I find him pretty generic.

But on another note, I think he is underrated as a QB. Yes, I know he is in the HOF. But I often hear that he doesn't deserve to be, or that he was more of a bus driver.

@perkdog said:

@LandrysFedora said:

@perkdog said:

He is definitely critical of his former team, I will give him that. I’d rather him be that way than make it obvious he is a Homer. Honestly though with the hype that surrounds the Cowboys I think it’s good they get his reality check in the booth.

Romo actually annoyed me at first and still does at times but damn he literally is a fortune teller up in that booth with seeing what is happening up there. It’s shocking to me that nobody has reached out to him for a coaching job, the guy knows football better than anyone I’ve ever seen in the booth.

I think Romo has the combo of football iq and natural charisma to be the excellent color commentator that he is. He and Jim Nantz make a great team. I agree that it's surprising he hasn't received any coaching job offers as of yet. It would be very interesting to see how he would fare as an oc say for a team like the Bengals with a young promising qb that he could mentor along.

@2dueces said:

@keets said:

Study enough film and when the teams line up in a certain situation you and I could have a pretty good idea their tendency. These guys have 7 days to study everything about 2 teams and they do it for a living. Names, plays, where they went to grammar school, breakfast favorites.

That in theory makes total logical sense. With that said, I wouldn't put a color guy like say Brian Griese, a former qb, even close to as good as Romo is.

• MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,580 ✭✭✭✭✭

Aikman is annoying, but the champion annoyer is ARod. How this guy is allowed into a booth is a mystery to me. Got banned for a year for using PEDs, yet there he is, acting like life is great, nothing ever happened. He is far too anal to be an announcer.

I was anti-Romo at first, but, that guy knows his stuff and I find him a pleasure to listen to.

A local Red Sox announcer who goes on the air from time to time, who's name escapes, has a really bad habit of constantly saying "right there". Hopefully he won't return next season. He was a fill-in while Remy couldn't announce, or I guess Eckersley, who I really enjoy was unavailable. I do miss Don Orsillo, he and Remy were a fun team. Somehow management tossed him and he got blind sided. He now announces for San Diego, loving life along the beach and palm trees.

@MCMLVTopps said:
    Aikman is annoying, but the champion annoyer is ARod. How this guy is allowed into a booth is a mystery to me. Got banned for a year for using PEDs, yet there he is, acting like life is great, nothing ever happened. He is far too anal to be an announcer.

I was anti-Romo at first, but, that guy knows his stuff and I find him a pleasure to listen to.

A local Red Sox announcer who goes on the air from time to time, who's name escapes, has a really bad habit of constantly saying "right there". Hopefully he won't return next season. He was a fill-in while Remy couldn't announce, or I guess Eckersley, who I really enjoy was unavailable. I do miss Don Orsillo, he and Remy were a fun team. Somehow management tossed him and he got blind sided. He now announces for San Diego, loving life along the beach and palm trees.

Not a Sox fan, but I agree, Orsillo and Remy were a pleasure to listen to.