Home U.S. & World Currency Forum
Options

1996 $20 Replacement Note Set

Steve_in_TampaSteve_in_Tampa Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited October 14, 2021 4:13AM in U.S. & World Currency Forum

For almost 70 years, the $20 FRN went mostly unchanged. A small portrait of President Jackson graced the front, squarely in the center. Then, along comes the newly designed 1996 $20 note. The portrait of Jackson is enlarged and slightly offset to the left to accommodate the new watermark added to the right side field. Several other security features were added, but the face of the note was the first big change the public noticed. Serial numbers also changed to a double letter prefix, indicating both the series and district.

I originally thought that putting together an uncirculated set of replacement notes was going to be a cakewalk. This wasn’t the case. It took well over a year, with the last note coming from a seller in China. The St. Louis Star is the key replacement note, but Atlanta was the hardest to find. Nine of the twelve districts had replacement notes printed for them. This is now one of my favorite modern sets.

Post your $20 replacement notes !

Comments

• Options

Nicely done a great set!!

• Options

Amazing accomplishment. Way beyond my collecting skills. Thanks for sharing.

• Options

Hope matching serial numbers fit in?

• Options
    Steve_in_TampaSteve_in_Tampa Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭✭✭

Series 1996 $20 was the BEPs return to offering uncut $20 sheets directly to collectors through its Money Store it used to maintain on their website. These 1996 $20 San Francisco replacement note sheets could be purchased for just a bit over face value.

• Options
    TitusFlaviusTitusFlavius Posts: 319 ✭✭✭

Very nice set! It was the 1996 changes that got a coin collector like me to check out currency as well. Glad I did!

"Render therfore unto Caesar the things which are Caesar's; and unto God the things that are God's." Matthew 22: 21
  • Options
    luckyrollersluckyrollers Posts: 513 ✭✭✭✭

very nice set Steve.