Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

‘76 Payton

I traded for this Payton RC to add to my personal collection last weekend. I’ve only been back in collecting for the last couple of years. Does this look better than a 4? How do you think it would crossover to a PSA grade?

Always looking for 1950's Graded Banks Cards

Comments

• Options
    Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,536 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice! I’d say just about right. Maybe a 6 oc, or a straight 4.

Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options
    picklepetepicklepete Posts: 414 ✭✭✭✭

An iconic card like this i would sub to PSA.

• Options
    AhmanfanAhmanfan Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭✭

Fine looking card.

Collecting
    HOF SIGNED FOOTBALL RCS
  • Options
    detroitfan2detroitfan2 Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭✭

I would also be curious to see what PSA grades it. That centering seems fine to me for a 6.

• Options
    GDM67GDM67 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭

That seems like a heavy penalty for centering. That card has flaws but it's still seriously nice, especially for that grade.

• Options
    jimqjimq Posts: 256 ✭✭✭

I'm new and trying to learn - is there something on the surface upper left or is that just the picture? I agree nice card!

• Options
    ldfergldferg Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭

Love the Payton rookie. Check that bottom edge.

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06
  • Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 15, 2021 11:24AM

Nice pickup, looks undergraded. May we ask what you paid?

Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options

@Cakes yeah, traded a '59 Jim Brown, a PSA 4. So, older PSA 4, but not a rookie. Thought the same thing, that it looked slightly undergraded. I wondered if the dealer undervalued it since it was a HGA grade? I've also wondered how PSA is influenced by the grading of other companies.

• Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Cubsfan71 said:
    @Cakes yeah, traded a '59 Jim Brown, a PSA 4. So, older PSA 4, but not a rookie. Thought the same thing, that it looked slightly undergraded. I wondered if the dealer undervalued it since it was a HGA grade? I've also wondered how PSA is influenced by the grading of other companies.

If I saw an HGA graded card, the first thing I would think is that it was counterfeit or tampered with. It would take a lot to even get me to examine the card closely or try to figure out if HGA was a legitimate company. I suspect I'm far from unusual.

• Options

@daltex what makes you say that about HGA? I just do this for fun so no real dog in the hunt here, but have they done something to damage their reputation? They were grading at a really large Nashville show. I know they are pretty new, but not reputable?

• Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

If authentic and unaltered, it would not look out of place in a PSA 5 holder.

• Options

@Cubsfan71 said:
    @daltex what makes you say that about HGA? I just do this for fun so no real dog in the hunt here, but have they done something to damage their reputation? They were grading at a really large Nashville show. I know they are pretty new, but not reputable?

Nothing. That's my entire point. If I see a potentially valuable card I'm going to wonder why it's not in the slab of a company that I've heard of. If I think it might be a really good deal, I might research HGA or I might not bother because then I'd be in the position of having to convince a buyer that HGA was legit. So far this thread hasn't even made me interested enough to Google HGA. As I said, I suspect I'm far from unusual.

• Options

@Cubsfan71 said:

I don't know anything about HGA but I dislike how they grade.
    7, 6.5, 6, and 3 should be closer to a 5.5/5, not a 4.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options
    edited October 20, 2021 8:35PM

@Cakes said:

@Cubsfan71 said:

I thought that I heard that one of the second tier services (Beckett, SGC, GAI) had a rule that the grade couldn't be more than a point higher than the lowest subgrade. That may be in play here.

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,540 ✭✭✭✭✭

^^^^ this is correct. BGS.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,540 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would consider a card graded by any brand new company as raw until they get some time/experience under their belts.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options

@daltex said:

@Cakes said:

@Cubsfan71 said:

I thought that I heard that one of the second tier services (Beckett, SGC, GAI) had a rule that the grade couldn't be more than a point higher than the lowest subgrade. That may be in play here.

Thanks for the info. Even then a 3 for centering seems harsh.

Unless I am missing something or it turns out to be trimmed, etc... it looks like a nice PSA 5. Nice trade you made.