Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

CNG Keystone 5/Mildenhall

Did anyone here follow this one live? It just ended. It featured British milled starting with a Cromwell Crown and ending with Queen Elizabeth- 246 lots

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

Comments

• Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,254 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was absolutely astonished by some of the prices. Two examples:

1 - 1930 graded set of minor silver: $2500, then add premium
    2 - 1935 graded silver set: $800, then add premium

If you look up even in Spink catalogue, the values will be mere fractions - perhaps 1/4 to 1/3 these values at the very most. I think it may just reflect the "grade-o-mania" of slabbed coins now.

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,769 ✭✭✭✭✭

If I recall correctly, the 1930 1/2 crown graded 66. I suspect that one could easily be included among the finest known. The buyers premium gets you to $3,000.

The 1935 set was amazing... especially the crown. The crown is the best business strike I have ever seen. I suspect there are those that grade higher but not likely with the color and overall attractive qualities that really makes it stand out.

I thought the Maundy sets were quite strong as well- the hammer on the 1818 set was 1000 and the 1838 hammered at 1400.

The early milled was impressive- the George I 1723 crown in 58 hammered at 7500... more than the 1716 in 62 which hammered at 7000. The 1723 1/2 crown in 63 was an amazing coin... keep in mind I don't believe our hosts have graded a George I 1/2 crown in MS. And it hammered at 11K... reads alittle rich-but is it? Think if it were a US coin, I suspect you could add a zero and still be $100K short.

I watched in augh... as the experience seemed surreal.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    Bob13Bob13 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looked like some nice coins. Not my thing and I almost bid on a few.

My current "Box of 20"

• Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,254 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 14, 2021 9:06PM

Yes, I agree with CK. Prices are quite high even for these unbeloved KG5 pieces - but they must be in top form. I bought a top PROOF 1930 2/6 for less than this price just a couple of years ago.
    Like Morgans these half crowns were tossed about into bins and bags and generally a decent Unc. is at the 63 level, and I have one there and one just a bit higher. The 1935 Crown is very tough with a "clean" bust of KG5 that is well struck with no hits at the cheek, brow, jaw or beard and with full ear on the obverse. The reverse has extensive fields that may be on the receiving end of hits as well as the leg of St. George and for some reason his sword...They do sometimes come with lovely swirling luster as well...

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    ClioClio Posts: 488 ✭✭✭✭✭

I somehow missed this sale entirely. Some nice coins I would've liked to have. I have bought a few post auction. Not sure if I should care about the pedigree if I decide to cross I assume it won't go.

https://numismaticmuse.com/ My Web Gallery

The best collecting goals lie right on the border between the possible and the impossible. - Andy Lustig, "MrEureka"