Home Sports Talk
Options

A question and a statement.

keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

The statement first: After all the BS last week about the Baltimore Ravens and the 100 yard/game rushing record, they quietly ran for a mere 86 yards on 25 attempts in their MNF victory over the Colts. So much for all that drama, it was nothing but an over-reaction and wasted bandwidth.

Now the question: There is an old adage that says "Championships are won with Defense and a Running Game." Do you think that statement has been relegated to obscurity?? Tampa Bay, led by Tom Brady, proved that a strong Defense is essential and although his passing is often seen as ALL his Teams have, the Bucs did run for 145 yards on 33 attempts. Hidden from most observes is the passing line --- 21 of 29 for 201 yards, with three TD's and no interceptions.

To me that is remarkable!! In what can only be described as the Era of The Quarterback where the running game is often put on a shelf, the Bucs had old school stats in Super Bowl 55 where they had more running plays than passes and almost equal yardage. Coupled with their defense it seems to re-enforce the notion that, yes, a strong defense and a good running attack will win Championships.

Do you agree with that premise??

Al H.

Comments

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,540 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would agree. a strong defense will punish and demoralize the opposing team. the important thing is to have a good enough offense to give the defense rest.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,021 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sometimes teams try to establish the running game and it simply doesn't work, and you have to throw the ball.

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,522 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’ve made my position 100% clear that the QB is the most important part of building a consistently successful franchise. And I will say it again that I do agree that it’s a team sport and no QB should be measured by championships alone.

• Options

missing the point as usual --- Is a solid running attack still necessary to win a Championship??

it's an easy yes or no question..........................

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,021 ✭✭✭✭✭

@keets said:
    missing the point as usual --- Is a solid running attack still necessary to win a Championship??

it's an easy yes or no question..........................

No, in my opinion it's not.

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,522 ✭✭✭✭✭

I felt I said what my answer was. The QB is the most important piece. Barry Sanders has zero championship wins and was the best RB ever.

Earl Campbell, Erik Dickerson, OJ Simpson, Adrian Peterson ZERO championship trophies between them.

• Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,252 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 12, 2021 11:14AM

You need a defense to win. That’s been proven last year as TB harassed Mahomes all day. You need a semblance of a running game to as they say keep the defense honest. But a great QB can make up for little flaws in the offense if and a big if he has receivers that can create separation.
    You can’t compare Tom Brady’s success to anyone else. He’s one of a kind

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

The record ended last night but the sign lives on

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

I believe that generally in order to win a SB a team needs to have the ability to run if and when it is necessary. That does not mean they are the best rushing team, nor do they have the best runners. But they would need a good Oline that can run block, and they would need backs that can do more than run so as to not be a liability or a tell.

• Options

a strong defense and a good running attack will win Championships.

last nights finish sort of re-enforces my premise that a running game is necessary to win Championships. Tennessee, with Derrick Henry, powered in for the winning score. Buffalo cruised down the field on the arm of Josh Allen, but when the game was on the line they had nothing on the ground to get them into the end zone.

I should add that stupid decisions by Head Coaches help.

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 19, 2021 5:38AM

@keets said:
    a strong defense and a good running attack will win Championships.

last nights finish sort of re-enforces my premise that a running game is necessary to win Championships. Tennessee, with Derrick Henry, powered in for the winning score. Buffalo cruised down the field on the arm of Josh Allen, but when the game was on the line they had nothing on the ground to get them into the end zone.

I should add that stupid decisions by Head Coaches help.

As I said in the comment above yours, I believe a team needs to have the ability to run if and when necessary. That might or might not get them the label of "a good running attack", depending on the numbers. But if the threat and ability to run are there, that makes all the difference.

Edited to add: A team with a good running attack that has to rely on the run to win every game would not be in a good position. A team usually needs to be able to win a game or two that is won through the air to win it all.