Home Sports Talk
Options

The winds are on the Giants side!

spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,479 ✭✭✭✭✭

Epic winds last night helped the Giants beat the favored Dodgers (we hate them my precious, yes we HATES them, gollum......) last night. If we can just get one more I will be feeling like it is an even year. We are bringing DeSclafani to the mound who has given up 8 runs in his past 5 games he's pitched which means he is going well (2.4 ERA, WHIP for the season 1.09). SF is 3-3 against the Dodgers this year with Sclafani on the mound so we will see. The Dodgers are not sure yet, they keep saying the Dodgers team is one of the most talented in their history, I guess it is time for them to show it. The pundits seem to forget that this Giants team is also pretty darned good, led by vets who all seem to be reborn this season. We will see........

And again for good luck!

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...

Comments

• Options
    charliej2356charliej2356 Posts: 277 ✭✭✭

Go Giants!

• Options
    streeterstreeter Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭✭✭

One more

Have a nice day
  • Options
    blurryfaceblurryface Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

dodgers. sorry.

• Options

As Elton John might sing, "I'm still standing".
    All that's standing between me and a nice payoff is tonight's game -- and then the Atlanta Braves.
    I'm hoping for a "Webb gem" tonight.

• Options
    streeterstreeter Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭✭✭

$180 for parking at Oracle Park. 🙄

Have a nice day
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,230 ✭✭✭✭✭

The first base ump wasn’t

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options

Sadly, the bought and paid for championship for the Dodgers goes on. The Giants were close to upsetting the MLB marketing built around the LA team (as all professional sports do - LA and NY are always favored and pushed in the marketing over other teams), so they made sure the refs and ump had a record of subtle bias towards the team MLB wants in the WS, or at least it seems that way. We need an 'audit' of all umps in the big leagues and I am sure we will find this out as auditing results these days seems to be popular.

No question in replay that Flores did not meet the requirements of a swing. Morales the first base ump, I am sure we will see him in the next Dodgers series, bought and paid for.

This is why sports are so stupid and I never understand why I actually waste my time with team sports. As long as you have a judgement call decide the outcome, well again, I need to break my desire to watch these teams sports is all I got to say, complete waste of time.

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...
  • Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,555 ✭✭✭✭✭

@spacehayduke said:
    Sadly, the bought and paid for championship for the Dodgers goes on. The Giants were close to upsetting the MLB marketing built around the LA team (as all professional sports do - LA and NY are always favored and pushed in the marketing over other teams), so they made sure the refs and ump had a record of subtle bias towards the team MLB wants in the WS, or at least it seems that way. We need an 'audit' of all umps in the big leagues and I am sure we will find this out as auditing results these days seems to be popular.

No question in replay that Flores did not meet the requirements of a swing. Morales the first base ump, I am sure we will see him in the next Dodgers series, bought and paid for.

This is why sports are so stupid and I never understand why I actually waste my time with team sports. As long as you have a judgement call decide the outcome, well again, I need to break my desire to watch these teams sports is all I got to say, complete waste of time.

Every team is managed under the same salary cap strategy. If you dip into the luxury tax, the penalty is very steep and if you stay in the luxury tax for multiple years in a row you also lose draft picks. Is it possible the Dodgers Front Office is just doing a better job?

what is there, 12 or so home grown players on the roster?

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options

Craig44: No, it's not possible that the Dodgers Front Office is doing a better job. The Dodgers payroll is way higher than that of the Giants -- and the Giants/Dodgers split the season series. For as much as they spend, the Dodgers haven't won "jack" over the past 30 years.

Spacehayduke: The Giants are my team, and I'm as disappointed as anyone that they lost last night's game. BUT, please don't think that watching team sports is a waste of time. IMHO, individual sports are much easier to "fix" than team sports. Hang in there, better times (for both you and for me) are coming.

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭

Focus on the excitement and whether watching the game was entertaining... If you have watched enough Northwestern and/or Iowa football games over the past 25 years, I think you will appreciate the perspective as it is not always about winning it is about creating an an environment that is worth watching because the outcome often exceeds the expectation.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    fergie23fergie23 Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭✭

The Giants had a higher payroll than the Dodgers in 2018 and 2019, and until this season were consistently in the top 8 payrolls in baseball for the last decade. Sounds like lots of sour grapes from Giants fans.

The Dodgers front office is simply doing a better job.

Robb

• Options

"Sounds like lots of sour grapes from Giants fans. ... The Dodgers front office is simply doing a better job."

fergie23: Is there a polite way to say "You're full of horse feathers"? The Dodger Dogs haven't won a real championship since something like 1988. My grapes are sweet -- my Giants are polite when they win and when they lose -- and your chest-pounding, helmet-tapping Dodgers are very immature -- they need to start acting professional, like Buster Posey (for that matter, like almost any of the Giant players).

• Options
    FluxFlux Posts: 149 ✭✭

@charliej2356 said:
    "Sounds like lots of sour grapes from Giants fans. ... The Dodgers front office is simply doing a better job."

fergie23: Is there a polite way to say "You're full of horse feathers"? The Dodger Dogs haven't won a real championship since something like 1988. My grapes are sweet -- my Giants are polite when they win and when they lose -- and your chest-pounding, helmet-tapping Dodgers are very immature -- they need to start acting professional, like Buster Posey (for that matter, like almost any of the Giant players).

“My grapes are sweet”

Are they now?

“The Dodger Dogs haven't won a real championship since something like 1988”

2020 did not include a title, trophy & banner? Granted it was in the covid season, but that presented an entirely new set of playing conditions and hurdles that no other team in the history of baseball had to deal with. And did the Giants veto the entire season themselves?

“my Giants are polite when they win and when they lose” & “ Dodgers are very immature ”

Doesn't seem too polite or mature when discounting a title. Your team got beat. Try losing gracefully versus making excuses or bringing up the (cough YANKEES) payroll.

“I LOVE LA”

• Options

"Granted it was in the covid season," There's nothing else that needs to be said.

“I LOVE LA” -- Say that 3 times while clicking your heels and maybe you won't get mugged.

If you insist on rooting for an LA team, try the LA Chargers -- Justin Herbert is very respectable, and never pats himself on the helmet.

• Options

@charliej2356 said:
    "Granted it was in the covid season," There's nothing else that needs to be said.

>
    Besides that the Giants participated too.

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,161 ✭✭✭✭✭

idk who you guys are but I love the hair pulling

• Options

@galaxy27 said:

I’m the guy with his team still in the hunt. LOL.

• Options

Flux wrote: "Besides that the Giants participated too."
    Yep, you've got the correct wording -- we'll give the Dodgers a "Participation Trophy" for their heroics in the 2020 Exhibition Season. Many fans are too young to remember the last real Dodger championship more than 30 years ago.

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,161 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Flux said:

@galaxy27 said:

I’m the guy with his team still in the hunt. LOL.

I love it lol

• Options
    edited October 15, 2021 3:22PM

@charliej2356 said:
    Flux wrote: "Besides that the Giants participated too."
    Yep, you've got the correct wording -- we'll give the Dodgers a "Participation Trophy" for their heroics in the 2020 Exhibition Season. Many fans are too young to remember the last real Dodger championship more than 30 years ago.

I’ll take it. Which means you are saying your team doesn't even get a participation trophy even though they did participate? Even the fat kids get those.

I am not many fans. I was in attendance. Orel lit it up. Nice to see his transition in to broadcasting. He’ll be in the hall some way or another. And all this without steriods.

How much is that ticket worth that you posted earlier? San Fransis-couch.

• Options

Flux: Your comments are "all over the place", seemingly random remarks.

I would gladly get into a battle of wits with you, but I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed man.

• Options

@charliej2356 said:
    Flux: Your comments are "all over the place", seemingly random remarks.

I would gladly get into a battle of wits with you, but I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed man.

You’re cute. But like your previous wager, I wouldn't bet on it. So move over Rice-A-Roni. There’s a new San Fransisco treat in town. Enjoy the off season.

• Options
    edited October 16, 2021 7:02AM

The Giants should have never been in the position to lose that game, nevertheless I am done with team sports. This is the 3rd event that has ruined my enjoyment of watching pro team sports. I am all in for cycling now and that is going to be about it. No game should end on a judgement call that is wrong yet that pervades professional team sports.

1. l975. I will never forget that game in the playoffs between the Vikings and America's Team (LOL, the Cowboys). Vikes had a great season, playing at home (like the Giants) and the NFL wanted America's Team to move forward. Vikes were leading, last play, Staubach hail Mary's a pass to Drew Pearson streaking down the right side. Nate Wright defending and step for step. Pearson shoves Wright over to the ground, catches the ball, TD for Pearson, Cowboys win, NFL and its marketing machine got what they wanted by moving America's Team forward. Replay after replay shows a blatant offensive interference. Young as I was, I was stunned that such blatant dysfunction by a ref could swing a game.

2. Too many Laker games to count. I will go back to one. I think it was l991. Blazers-Lakers playoff game 6. Blazers had one of their best seasons ever led by the Glide (they were in the finals in '90 and '92, NBA does not want that). Came down to the last play, Magic had the ball, drove up the middle, and completely ran over the stationary defender. Foul on Blazers. Replay after replay showed a blatant offensive foul. Magic made the free throws and Lakers win the series. Strike 2. NBA got what the wanted either LA or NY, or preferably both, moving to the Finals. The blatant favoritism for the Laker superstars over the years by the refs is telling - there is no real objective competition that the best team wins.

3. Now the Giants. I have never been a fan of the chosen team that is marketed by sports league as THE team bc if they win that makes the most money. But it seems a recurring theme in the pro sports that the refs have a tendency to favor the marketed team in judgement calls. So that is it. The less marketed teams have to overcome this in order to win, so not only do they have to be better than the marketed teams, they have to be much better to overcome the ref bias be it subconscious bias or flatout blatant. This is how the pro sports make more money. There were even articles about how the sports bookies were worried about losing millions if the Giants won out as no one expected them to be this good this year. So all made it happen to insure the Dodgers, the chosen ones, moved forward. We have all been duped as fans.

Case in point, look what is on ESPN.com this morning front and center. Lakers 0-6 for preseason, should there be concern? Yikes, why always Lakers, why should we not be concerned that the Blazers are 0-4? Well again, marketing. The NBA, NFL, and MLB are all in on it, let's not see the underdogs in marketing win if we can help it bc that does not max out profits.

Best, SH

• Options

I thought cycling was one of the dirtiest sports out there. Like on a massive level. Perhaps golf or tennis might be a better singular sport to consider?