Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Grade my Gretzky Rookie card

Hi, What do you think about my Wayne Gretzky Rookie Card no.18 O-pee-chee?

t

Comments

• Options
    SammyCSammyC Posts: 112 ✭✭
    edited October 12, 2021 8:32AM

it is going to be an 6 or return as trimmed. Good Luck

• Options
    burghmanburghman Posts: 809 ✭✭✭✭

I’ll steal someone’s thunder and say “get it out of the screw down” - it can flatten the card out and potentially effect the grade.

Jim

• Options
    Jayman1982Jayman1982 Posts: 464 ✭✭✭

looks trimmed

• Options
    miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭✭✭

Agreed, it looks trimmed. If it isn't, then it looks like a 5.5 to 6 due to lower corners as well as that the bottom and left edges look more like edge wear instead of factory rough cut.

• Options
    handymanhandyman Posts: 5,244 ✭✭✭✭✭

Trimmed

• Options
    RufussCkingstonRufussCkingston Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭✭

Wavy Gravy

• Options
    ndleondleo Posts: 4,078 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is there enough L/R border on this card to trim? There seems to be a lot of border all the way around.

I know it's hard to judge due to the centering issues with this issue, but each border looks too wide to be trimmed.

However the lack of a rough cut does make me think at least the edges were trimmed.

Mike
  • Options
    FrozencaribouFrozencaribou Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 12, 2021 10:02AM

I don't think the card is trimmed. There are a few ways 79-80 OPC edges are seen, and this is one of them. Under magnification I would bet the edges are not smoothly cut. Usually Gretzky cards with the edges like the one you have there is a black blotchy printing mark through the Oilers on the top of the card. Glad yours doesn't have it.

Looks to me like a 6.5. I think there are corner, edge and surface issues that would hold if from a higher grade, if it can be graded at all due to the previous posts about screwdowns causing cards to be rejected as altered.

PSA is merciless with Gretzky rookies now. Five years ago I would have said 7-8 for that card.

• Options
    handymanhandyman Posts: 5,244 ✭✭✭✭✭

Trimmed but looks sheet cut

• Options

I think it's at least a 6. On the back of the card on the top right corner there appears to be an indentation? A Mark? Or is it just the scan?

Either way nice card.

• Options
    edited October 12, 2021 7:06PM

@MantleMarisFordBerra said:
    I think it's at least a 6. On the back of the card on the top right corner there appears to be an indentation? A Mark? Or is it just the scan?

Either way nice card.

I noticed that potential indent in the corner too. Probably needs to be out of the holder in order to tell.

Looking at the back side, the bottom left corner looks worse than it does when it is viewed as the bottom right corner on the front side.

ETA: BTW, the relatively big gray spot on the front just to the right of his head is on the outside of the holder as opposed to being a surface issue, right? Almost looks like scotch tape residue or similar. But if that's inside the holder instead of outside, then that would be a game changer on this one.

• Options

On the positive side, the oil drip in the logo on front is remarkably well centered, which is uncommon on this card. An off center oil drip can be quite an eyesore for a Gretzky RC.

• Options
    MrTimMrTim Posts: 16 ✭✭

Also on the positive side, the colour registration where the black lines divide white and blue is clean with no slivers of the white on the blue side or the other way around.

• Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭

N-5 Altered Stock

• Options
    RufussCkingstonRufussCkingston Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭✭

Take new pics outside of the holder... Probably gonna get an ALTERED just for being smushed!