Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Which coin do you like better ?

And what would you grade these ?

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
I give away money. I collect money.
I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

Comments

• Options
    bronzematbronzemat Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭✭✭

First one I like better, looks like a mark or something on coin 2 on the cap.

• Options
    sylsyl Posts: 906 ✭✭✭

I like the first one by a bunch. Much less wear. I'm not familiar with Mex gradings.

• Options
    neildrobertsonneildrobertson Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭✭✭

I can't tell the grades from the photos, but the first has a way better strike.

IG: DeCourcyCoinsEbay: neilrobertson
    "Numismatic categorizations, if left unconstrained, will increase spontaneously over time." -me

• Options
    bigmarty58bigmarty58 Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭✭✭

Enthusiastic collector of British pre-decimal and Canadian decimal circulation coins.
  • Options
    ncsuwolf74ncsuwolf74 Posts: 113 ✭✭✭

Would rather own 2 but 1 looks better

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose."

Jim Elliot

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,704 ✭✭✭✭✭

The first one appears to have graded 63, and I have no basis for saying otherwise. The second looks a little softer, but different mint and 31 years older. Looks like it's also quite a bit scarcer than the 1894. Perhaps it's a 63 as well, in which case I like it a lot better.

• Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,865 ✭✭✭✭✭

The first is graded MS 63

The second is graded AU 58

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options
    jgennjgenn Posts: 738 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 28, 2021 11:06PM

In the late 19th century the Mexican mints upgraded their equipment to contemporary standards, meaning steam driven presses and hubbed dies. The output from these mints were much more standardized and achieved generally higher quality like the Morgan Dollars of the same period. Of course, you can find lots of nicely struck identical examples -- the processes were well mechanized. I will always appreciate the quality examples from the earlier periods where individually crafted dies and human powered screw presses were implemented, no matter what grade your TPG puts on the label.