Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

British Copper NEWP - any idea on the approximate real market value?

Thanks in advance - spontaneous and somewhat blind purchase, as part of a small group deal today.
It was hazy and a little crusty, but showed promise.
Some acetone, a thorn, then a very light touch of the original Blue Ribbon, and it looks
pretty nice now.
A little research seems to indicate it's the '3 berries' variety.
I realize European grading is tough, so not likely Unc by their standards (maybe not even by US standards?).
Any thoughts or comments welcome.

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug

Comments

• Options
    pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 10, 2021 8:13PM

Not an expert on these by any means, but I do love Soho copper. My understanding is that the "real money" with these is in the pop top grades (65, 66).

If it were mine, I would probably mark it up a bit, sell it raw for a small profit, and move on.

Edited to add: Not denigrating the coin. Just that the market interest (it seems) is in the high grades.

• Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,147 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks @pruebas .

Just curious about what it might realistically sell for, if it's worthwhile to slab, etc. Looking at eBay, these appear to be pretty common in worn condition and/or with other issues. Much less so in nice condition, and even scarcer with the three berries variety. But maybe the market is thin or saturated, except for the mega grades, as you pointed out.

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,938 ✭✭✭✭✭

By US grading standards I would say it is XF45 though with a few more small marks than I like to see in that grade. Is it a Penny or Half Penny?

I have no idea as to current value or demand.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,147 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks, it’s a half penny.