Home Sports Talk
Options

I posted this at the "Coin Forum" where the moderation really takes anything OT to the extreme.

keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm a child of the 50's, so growing up during the 1960's my Dad watched a lot of Westerns, movies of course, and TV series' as well. I cut my teeth on John Wayne, GunSmoke, Bonanza, Maverick and The Virginian. The latter was long at an hour-and-a-half so my attention span often caused me to lose interest or not to watch the show.

Fast Forward to today with "live streaming" and neat little gadgets like the "FireStick" from Amazon. I'm currently watching The Virginian with James Drury, Doug McClure and Clu Gulager towards the end of Season Five. I watch maybe one episode a day and today was "The Guantlet" which started out with "The Virginian" riding across Texas and coming to a sign on a hilltop that's letting him know he was on "The Keets Ranch" where he might be shot for trespassing.

It really cracked me up. To top things off, my first name is Al, the same as the ranch owner.

Al H.

Comments

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,526 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is crazy lol

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,037 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is insane, this is like something out of The Twilight Zone.

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

You need that sign.

• Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 10, 2021 8:57AM

Amazing!

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,526 ✭✭✭✭✭

@thisistheshow said:
    You need that sign.

That might be a get dressed all in black, go there at 3AM and take it except that you run the risk of getting shot lol

• Options
    blurryfaceblurryface Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 10, 2021 9:13AM

i wanna see the “and more” parts.

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭

Add a sentence that the Keets ranch was just outside Virginia City and within 20 miles of the Carson City Mint. The ranch was known to provide horses for the stage coaches that serviced the distribution of coins from the mint--- now your in like Flynn.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options

On a side note, double off topic, many people put up signs that include statements that imply a gun or a dog, etc is guarding the property. I think people should weigh the deterrence provided by the sign with the legal ramifications if something happens with your dog or if you do have to defend your home. I'm 100% for people defending their homes, and I hate when anything causes them to be able to be charged or sued for doing it.

• Options

@blurryface said:
    i wanna see the “and more” parts.

Well that's the thing, they are beyond where you can see.

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

don't forget, the sign was posted in the late 1880'2 early 1890's.

• Options

@keets said:
    don't forget, the sign was posted in the late 1880'2 early 1890's.

I know, my comment was dealing with modern times. But you do still see signs such as this now. Very cool sign, in my opinion.

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,219 ✭✭✭✭✭

When do we see the real thing?

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    streeterstreeter Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just put up a sign that says,

'CAUTION, RATTLESNAKE BREEDING. PLEASE BE CAREFUL'

Have a nice day