Home U.S. & World Currency Forum
Options

Let’s see some Ephemera

Most serious collectors not only collect notes but they also collect ephemera associated with the notes. I’m no exception. Bank bags, wallets, photographs, small coin banks etc. I love finding and collecting them.

I’ll start it off with a small metal bank issued by the National City Bank of Tampa. Please correct me if I’ve been misinformed, but my understanding is that the bank issued these to customers and kept the key. Customers would save their coins in the small metal bank and eventually return to the bank to have it opened. The bank would then suggest they deposit the coins into their account. The National banknote is framed behind museum glass with a photograph of the bank during the era when the note was circulating.

Let’s see some of your Ephemera !

Comments

• Options
    Steve_in_TampaSteve_in_Tampa Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice stuff Mike.

I collect old wallets and specialize in the older wallets used to hold large-size notes. I won this on a 2013 auction. This was the description. “ Leather Wallet for Large Size Notes.
    Measurements of this leather wallet are approximately 7.5 by 3.5 inches. It is ornately tooled both inside and out with repeating flora and eagle vignettes. It has an interior pocket and gatefold flap. We sold two similar leather wallets in 2011 for $178 and $230.”

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,603 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 16, 2021 7:46AM

love the $100 type 2 note above

• Options

Back in the 1930s and 1940s the International Bank of Tampa had a beautiful building in downtown Tampa that was modeled by the A.C. Rehberger Company. This is a photo of the bank in 1939 and a metal model of the bank.

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭✭

All nice stuff!

• Options

I have lots of travel documents from the early 1900's, here is just a few.

Hotel Imperial Praha in Prague Brochure with Old Black & White Pictures
    1920s London of To-day Picture & Guide Book- Campfield Press St Albans UK Travel
    1920s Great Britain Stonehenge Past and Present Booklet- Riddle of the Centuries
    1929 White Star Line "Cedric" Passenger List, Log with Envelope & Breakfast Menu
    1929 White Star Line SS Cedric Passenger List & Original Abstract Log (2) & Envelope (1)

• Options

Very cool stuff @StilloesEmporium. I believe the Titanic also sailed for the Oceanic Steam Navigation Company (White Star Line) during the same period.

• Options
    cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,891 ✭✭✭✭✭

Original broadside containing all of the serial numbers for the bills used in the $50,000 Lindbergh baby ransom. Most of it was never recovered:

Series 1974 Signed first printing certificate:

Series 1981 uncut half sheet signed by Angela Buchanan, Donald Regan and the BEP director:

You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • Options

This engraved poster is a massive 26” X 18” and celebrates the World’s Columbian Commission held in 1893 at the Worlds Fair in Chicago Illinois.

• Options

Enamel Cuff links of currency. They are each an inch and a half wide.
    I missed these on ebay sometime back. Has anyone seen others out there?

• Options
    edited November 13, 2021 4:48AM

Interesting. I’ve not seen currency on cuff links before. When I saw them it reminded me about the tie clasp I found at a flea market several years back. It’s 1929 $20 Bucyrus Ohio National (Type 2) . My ideal scenario would be to find the exact note pictured on the tie clasp….

• Options

That tie clasp is a nice find. Looks to be metal.
    Is it vintage, or modern? What size is it?

• Options
    edited November 13, 2021 11:15PM

Thanks. I believe it’s vintage, 1940s-1950s.
    It’s approximately 2-1/2” inches long and it’s made out of aluminum.

• Options

Very nice - I really go in for this kind of currency related thing.

Here is an enamel cuff link (I think) of a French 100 Francs from 1876 that i got on ebay a few years ago. It is also vintage, 1870s.

• Options

Once I decided I wanted an example of one of these, it took another 18 months for one to come up at auction. These were distributed around the country by local banks to show the public the new, downsized smaller paper money introduced in 1929. I’ve also included the press statement sent to newspapers and financial institutions at the time.

• Options

@Steve_in_Tampa
    That sure is a WOW item, a very attractive engraving of the eagle on it.