Home Sports Talk
Options

Baker Mayfield getting roasted

doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,958 ✭✭✭✭✭

On ESPN Get Up, the analysts roasted Baker Mayfield calling him "the most replaceable guy in football" and "just a guy in Cleveland."

Comments

• Options

I'll tell you a guy that's replaceable right now, Big Ben Roethlisberger, 3-7 in his last 10 starts with 13 interceptions.

• Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,251 ✭✭✭✭✭

My favorite quote about Mayfield is
    “Cleveland liked Johnny Manzell so much they drafted him twice. “

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

i'll never forget what i was thinking the day Cleveland drafted Mayfield

"they just freaking had this guy"

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,493 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mayfield wants to be so much better than he really is, so don’t Cleveland fans but neither will admit that it’s just not going to happen lol

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 8, 2021 1:45PM

right now the Baker is injured and it's typical for NFL Teams to hide injuries if they can. remember what came out about Tom Brady?? it just so happens that the injury to Mayfield is tied in to his mechanics and throwing motion. I feel confident that it's going to straighten out with time and everything will be OK. Josh Allen had a similar injury last season.

this is a funny place, nobody was ragging on Mayfield the last half of 2020 and he was the same guy playing the same way. don't be too harsh, he'll probably be beating your Team at some point in the season. just watch the schedule. :p also, since when did any of the fluff and talking heads of ESPN become relevant??

• Options

Baker's a good guy, I just don't want to see him end up looking like Booger from Revenge of the nerds again. We got bush and wonder joints, Booger Mayfield.

• Options

@keets said:
    right now the Baker is injured and it's typical for NFL Teams to hide injuries if they can. remember what came out about Tom Brady?? it just so happens that the injury to Mayfield is tied in to his mechanics and throwing motion. I feel confident that it's going to straighten out with time and everything will be OK. Josh Allen had a similar injury last season.

this is a funny place, nobody was ragging on Mayfield the last half of 2020 and he was the same guy playing the same way. don't be too harsh, he'll probably be beating your Team at some point in the season. just watch the schedule. :p also, since when did any of the fluff and talking heads of ESPN become relevant??

Sure. Injuries are part of the game, if the guys injury is affecting his mechanics then duly noted. His sophomore season was a disaster and last year he was much better but I pause on the fact that lots of key players were out and it was a weird season but it is what it is.

I think the biggest problem with him is the incessant amount of commercials done with his wife not to mention her being an Instagram defender of him. It’s just a lot of Baker Mayfield without a single playoff win. I don’t think he sucks by any stretch but I don’t think he is much more than an above average starter either.

• Options

@doubledragon said:
    Baker's a good guy, I just don't want to see him end up looking like Booger from Revenge of the nerds again. We got bush and wonder joints, Booger Mayfield.

This is almost as funny as Rodgers Cowboy get up lol

• Options
    edited October 9, 2021 12:49PM

--- 2018. As a Rookie he wasn't expected to start and was forced into that role by an injury to Tyrod Taylor. After the 8th game of the season(Mayfield's 5th start) the Browns changed Head Coaches from Hue Jackson, arguably one of the worst in NFL history, to Gregg Williams(not much of an improvement).
    --- 2019. As Baker started his 2nd season and 14th game he had a new Head Coach(Freddie Kitchens, his 3rd), a new QB Coach and a new Offensive Coordinator.
    --- 2020. As Baker started his 3rd season and 30th game he also has his 4th Head Coach(Stefanski), 4th QB Coach and 4th Offensive Coordinator.
    --- 2021. Finally, in his 4th season Mayfield has a little continuity: same Head Coach, same QB Coach and same Offensive Coordinator.

I would suggest that any QB experiencing those changes right out of the gate would struggle.

listen, I was screaming at the TV last week as loud as anyone else that was watching that game. he missed guys that were wide open, then I find out like everyone else that he has this injury. it isn't an excuse, but it is an explanation. one thing I will say about Baker Mayfield is that he's proven he can throw on the run as well as anyone. he is especially proficient throwing on the run to his left. the opposite side for a right-handed QB. his weakness is that he tends to hurry when under pressure, but he has gotten better at that.

last week he didn't throw at all rolling to his left. that may be because of the added stress placed upon his left shoulder when he twists to throw. I'm not a QB, but I know this: when I've pulled a muscle in my groin, when my sciatica acts up or when I have a spasm in my back it tends to affect every other muscle in my body, no matter how I move. we sometimes under-estimate the what it takes to do what these players do, along with how they manage to do it.

not defending Baker Mayfield, if he's as limited as he looks then he should probably sit and heal while Case Keenum plays. just the same, I think the criticism of him is over-blown when you consider all the Coaching/Management changes he's had to endure.

• Options

I was unaware of the seriousness of his injuries. Let’s take a look in 6 weeks.

I remember last year when Allen hurt his left shoulder. He had his two worst game after that , Tennessee and Kansas City. He rebounded. The Bills down played it just like Cleveland has with mayfield

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options
    spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,470 ✭✭✭✭✭

Both Ben and Baker are pretty mediocre right now, as will their teams be if they continue to be the QB's..............

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...
  • Options

I remember last year when Allen hurt his left shoulder.

I don't remember the circumstances of his injury, but Teams try to hide that stuff as long as they can before they'll report it. it's pretty safe to assume if Mayfield had completed 26-33 instead of 15-33 passes against the Vikings that we'd never have known of this till much later. I think if we knew of all the injuries a Team endures during a typical season that some of us would faint.

remember "North Dallas Forty" and the opening scene with Nick Nolte??

• Options

c'mon guys, it only seems fair that when you "roast" someone and it turns out you might have over-reached that you admit it. Mayfield looked like his old self yesterday despite the results which were mainly the fault of the defense and Kevin Stefanski. Mayfield had a good stat line and was efficient. and please don't hold the Browns running game against him for his lack of more passing TD's, Cleveland just chooses to run more than anyone else.

• Options

The last sequence for the Browns was bizarre. 1:26 left on the clock and the Browns moved the ball 25 yards. Every pass was a check down. Screw it, throw it down field. I think the Browns trust Mayfield as much as I trust week old gas station sushi. I’d love to say the good doctor but I like it here.
    Can you see Herbert, Mahomes or Allen with 1:26 left and needing a TD to win barely get to the 50?
    You gonna pay this guy $35M a year? I think not. This team is stacked everywhere except for Johnny Manzell II. I’m thinking maybe $1.25 bonus and the league minimum for a #1. Anyone remember who was drafted #7th?

W.C.Fields
  • Options

2dueces, you seem to be the leader in anti-Mayfield angst. that was a "Coaching loss" and not Mayfield's fault, the sideline and the booth were making the play calls and strategy decisions. right now the Offensive Co-Ordinator is ex-Cincinnati Bengals QB Coach Alex Van Pelt, 'nuff said on that. as 2nd year HC, I believe Stefanski needs a more forceful voice in the booth talking into his head-set. consider:

going all the way back to the first game loss against the Chiefs, the Browns always turn conservative when they have the lead in the second half. they did it again on Sunday against the Chargers, thinking they could run time off the clock and win. in that fourth quarter, when they were ahead they went into a shell, when they were behind they were aggressive. they need to take the approach that says put points on the board because they can score on anybody when they have that mindset.

do you really think Baker Mayfield is making those strategy decisions?? that's on the coaching staff.

the Chargers missing that extra point and leaving Cleveland with a lead was a good thing for them. imagine if they had tried and made a two-point attempt giving the Chargers the lead at 43-42. what do you think the Browns would have done?? they would have come out aggressive with the whole playbook at their disposal.

• Options

If the coaches made those check down decisions then they don’t trust him with the keys to the car.

W.C.Fields
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 12, 2021 11:58AM

I love Bakers commercials. He might be a good football game manager or leader. He does not have great QB tools. He reminds me a lot of Brian Griese.

I root for Baker.

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......