Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

1985 Wrestling questions about variations.

1985 Wrestling questions. I purchased a larger lot of these wrestling cards and noticed some of the cards/stickers have one * by the number and some have two ** by the number. Anyone know why? Is one harder to get than the other or rarer / move valuable? The lot has 8 Hulk Hogan with * and 3 with **. Any help is appreciated.
Thanks,
Bob

ebay seller name milbroco
email bcmiller7@comcast.net

Comments

• blurryfaceblurryface Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 7, 2021 5:38PM

@milbroco said:
    1985 Wrestling questions. I purchased a larger lot of these wrestling cards and noticed some of the cards/stickers have one * by the number and some have two ** by the number. Anyone know why? Is one harder to get than the other or rarer / move valuable? The lot has 8 Hulk Hogan with * and 3 with **. Any help is appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Bob

there were prolly two sheets. first sheet (*) most likely contained two cards of each wrestler (base set). the second sheet (**) probably had 1 card from the base set found on sheet one and the other half of the sheet contained some type of sticker or subset.

• milbrocomilbroco Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭

Thanks for the reply. This makes some sense but it was the stickers i was mentioning. Why would the stickers have one * or two**? Were they printed on two separate sheets?

• SoxSox Posts: 16 ✭✭

Regarding the 1985 Topps WWF Stickers, has anyone noticed that some of the backs are "glossy" and some of the backs are "non-glossy"? (the "glossy" backs appear to be much rarer).

@Sox said:
    Regarding the 1985 Topps WWF Stickers, has anyone noticed that some of the backs are "glossy" and some of the backs are "non-glossy"? (the "glossy" backs appear to be much rarer).

this happened w quite a few different runs that year w topps, including gpks. glossys are definitely rarer and command big premiums there.

• milbrocomilbroco Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭

Well.......I need to check something else now.

Will PSA recognize the “glossy” back as a variation (and label it as such) ?

@Sox said:
    Will PSA recognize the “glossy” back as a variation (and label it as such) ?

they do on gpks. it may take a lil work for them to recognize it. referencing the ‘85 gpks should make the research easy though. both are stickers and from the same year, same company. not too inconceiveable.

Has anyone seen these "mini" versions of the 1985 WWF Stickers? They were attached to the cellophane wrappers on some complete sets that I purchased.

completely different set. forget, but these mighta been bread/snack inserts. canadian maybe?

Can anyone confirm where these “mini” stickers came from? I have 10 to 15 examples and they all appear to be the exact same photo/image that was used for the Topps (and OPC) cards. Any info would be appreciated.

@Sox said:
    Can anyone confirm where these “mini” stickers came from? I have 10 to 15 examples and they all appear to be the exact same photo/image that was used for the Topps (and OPC) cards. Any info would be appreciated.

thats happened w all cards over the course of the past 100 years. pray you dont run across any early bond breads & exhibits from the 40s and 50s.

• shawthershawther Posts: 284 ✭✭✭

I acquired a bunch from this set a couple years ago. I sent in most of the Hogans, Andre the Giants sticker and one of “The Body” Ventura. I assumed that they were all Topps cards but the cards just moved to grading and almost all of the stickers were entered as O-Pee-Chee. Is there a chance that they made a mistake when they entered them? Do the O-Pee-Chee cards hold a higher value? I have looked and it seems that they are not graded as often. But I admit, I do not know much about these cards. Thanks.

• shawthershawther Posts: 284 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if anyone had any additional information?

• wrestlingcardkingwrestlingcardking Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭✭

@shawther said:
    I acquired a bunch from this set a couple years ago. I sent in most of the Hogans, Andre the Giants sticker and one of “The Body” Ventura. I assumed that they were all Topps cards but the cards just moved to grading and almost all of the stickers were entered as O-Pee-Chee. Is there a chance that they made a mistake when they entered them? Do the O-Pee-Chee cards hold a higher value? I have looked and it seems that they are not graded as often. But I admit, I do not know much about these cards. Thanks.

I cannot be sure here

BUYING Frank Gotch T229 Kopec
    Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable