Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Faustina the Younger denarius

MKUltra24MKUltra24 Posts: 652 ✭✭✭✭
edited October 6, 2021 11:35PM in World & Ancient Coins Forum

I’ve been looking for a Faustina the Younger denarius for about 7 months and I finally managed to find and win this one that I really like.

I think the toning on it looks beautiful too :)

Anyway I just wanted to share since I love it when other people share coins.

Faustina Junior (AD 147-175/6). AR denarius (18mm, 3.29 gm, 7h). NGC Choice AU 5/5 - 5/5. Rome, AD 147-175. FAVSTINA-AVGVSTA, draped bust of Faustina Junior right, seen from front, wearing stephane, hair brushed in waves and tucked in small chignon at base of head / SAECVLI FELICIT, pulvinar facing with Commodus and Antoninus, as young children, seated facing each other. RIC III (Marcus Aurelius) 712. Beautifully toned.

Comments

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,938 ✭✭✭✭✭

You have an exceptionally nice coin with great reverse subject matter! Very nice!

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options

@asheland said:
    That’s splendid! I actually have one of those, albeit not that nice…
    I have both Faustinas in XF:
    Senior:

And junior:

Oh wow nice! I hope to pick up Faustina the Elder some day :)

• Options

@291fifth said:
    You have an exceptionally nice coin with great reverse subject matter! Very nice!

Thanks! :)

I paid a bit more than I felt totally comfortable paying for it but at the same time I really wanted a nice Faustina and they don’t tend to come up for auction too often in grades AU or better.

• Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,885 ✭✭✭✭✭

I love everything about it.
    The holder not so much as I prefer my ancients raw but I could make an exception for that beauty
    Congrats

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,686 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you search the Heritage archives, they have a Faustina Sr Gold coin that is to die for!

• Options

This isn’t mine, I sure wish it was! :o

• Options

@Swampboy said:
    I love everything about it.
    The holder not so much as I prefer my ancients raw but I could make an exception for that beauty
    Congrats

Thanks! ^_^

Hehe well I mean you could always take the coins out of the slab if you wanted.

I know a lot of people don’t like slabs and it bugs them to see ancients in slabs but I just like slabs because they are easy to stack in my small safe and I can let people hold my coins for a closer look.

One thing I’ve noticed is if you give a small thin coin to someone who doesn’t hold coins often and you tell them to hold it by the edges…there is a good chance they are going to drop it.

Plus my 3 & 5 year old nephews are interested in coins and I like letting them hold even my more expensive coins without holding my breath and praying they don’t drop it. Or get sticky grape juice and Cheetoh’s dust on them. xD

• Options

@asheland said:
    If you search the Heritage archives, they have a Faustina Sr Gold coin that is to die for!

That’s a beauty! Sadly I will never be able to afford a gold aureus :(.

I think that’s why I’ve focused on the solidus when it comes to gold coins. They tend to be cheaper most of the time except for the really rare ones.

But I can’t think of any Roman gold aureus that isn’t super expensive even in F/VF grade.

• Options

@asheland said:

Do you happen to know how much that aureus sold for?

• Options

@MKUltra24 said:

@asheland said:

I vaguely recall around 15 or 16 grand.

• Options
    edited October 8, 2021 12:14PM

@asheland said:

@MKUltra24 said:

@asheland said:

Oh danggg! I think the most I would ever pay for a coin is $5,000 and even then it would have to be an amazing coin like an aureus in Ch VF or XF condition.

I’ve never paid more than $1,500 for a coin yet and that was for my MS Athenian owl Tetradrachm.

• Options

@asheland said:

Oh hey check it out APMEX has this aureus in XF condition for $6K. O_o

• Options

@MKUltra24 said:

@asheland said:

@MKUltra24 said:

@asheland said:

Oh danggg! I think the most I would ever pay for a coin is $5,000 and even then it would have to be an amazing coin like an aureus in Ch VF or XF condition.

I’ve never paid more than $1,500 for a coin yet and that was for my MS Athenian owl Tetradrachm.

Definitely an owl is on my want list. :)

• Options

@asheland said:

@MKUltra24 said:

@asheland said:

@MKUltra24 said:

@asheland said:

Definitely an owl is on my want list. :)

Here is mine :)

I feel like I got a really good deal on it. I paid $1500 and then 2 months later I got an offer via Heritage's "Make an Offer" function for $2,383 so I think it was a pretty good deal.

But it's definitely the most I ever spent on a single coin. I think I would be willing to pay more for a Roman aureus but sadly those are like WAY more. Hopefully I can find a good deal on an aureus one day.

• Options

That’s awesome!