Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

WW2 Era coins

I have always found that collecting coins from war times was so fascinating. It just makes me think of how far the coin has come to get here in my hands; that the coin has more significance because it came from a historic time period. I have some others mixed in there that a pre and post war times too. Anyways, thanks for checking out my collection!

Comments

• Options
    sylsyl Posts: 906 ✭✭✭

I posted on the CoinTalk thread under World coins and the same thread title.

• Options
    harashaharasha Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭✭✭

Vichy France particularly is interesting.

Honors flysis Income beezis Onches nobis Inob keesis

DPOTD
  • Options

@syl said:
    I posted on the CoinTalk thread under World coins and the same thread title.

I like to cross post things! LOL

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,789 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 10, 2021 3:28AM

Switzerland wasn't involved in WWII. ;)

Lots of history in those coins, especially the coins issued under Nazi occupation.

• Options
    CucumborCucumbor Posts: 125 ✭✭✭

Nice selection
    The most significant I can contribute with is the MS66 steel cent that I got as a gift from our own @lordmarcovan

• Options
    John ConduittJohn Conduitt Posts: 356 ✭✭✭
    edited October 10, 2021 10:20AM

Really nice selection. I have this from the USSR. The mint shut in 1941 as the Germans approached Moscow and when it resumed in 1942 there were coin shortages, although inflation and rationing reduced the pressure.

USSR 5 Kopeks, 1943

Moscow. Aluminium-bronze, 25mm, 4.9g. 11 orbits (Y 108).

This is from the Empire of Manchuria in northeast China and Inner Mongolia, which was a puppet state dependent on Japan in 1945. The coins were made from red fibre.

Empire of Manchuria 5 Fen, 1945 (Year 12 of the Kangde era)

Manchukuo. Magnesite (magnesium carbonate)/cardboard, 20mm, 1.2g. Flower cartouche divides value, 分 五 (5 fen), clouds above and below (Y A13a).

This is from just before the war. Hindenburg was a WW1 military commander who established a de facto military dictatorship. A personality cult developed around him, much as it did later with Hitler. In 1925 he became President and he defeated Hitler in 1932, but the Nazis gained most votes so there was pressure to include them. He was opposed to Hitler but finally agreed to appoint him Chancellor.

Third Reich 2 Marks, 1939

Dresden. Silver, 25mm, 8g. Imperial Eagle with swastika below. Paul Von Hindenburg (KM 93).

• Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,865 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like silver war nickels 😀

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options
    YQQYQQ Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭✭✭

JBK
    Switzerland was not officially involved in WW II.
    But a large percentage of the world population thinks that Switzerland indirectly supported much of that war. Hence, one could assume that all the secret Deals the "neutral" Swiss made for hefty profits with all the war powers were neutral, and could be interpreted as being not involved? That would also include receiving ( for whatever reasons) money from questionable sources legally, according to Swiss Law?
    yes, I guess you could say they were not involved????

Today is the first day of the rest of my life
  • Options

@JBK said:
    Switzerland wasn't involved in WWII. ;)

Lots of history in those coins, especially the coins issued under Nazi occupation.

Yes I know Switzerland was not technically involved, just was posting that I have from around that time period.