Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

New Record for a PSA-9 Nolan Ryan RC in Memory Lane Auction...$125,000*

mintonlyplsmintonlypls Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited October 9, 2021 10:23PM in Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Both the Ryan RC and Rose RC PSA-9s ended at $125,000...records for the grade.

mint_only_pls

Comments

• Options
    blurryfaceblurryface Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mintonlypls said:
    Currently at $80,000+ w/auction closing on Saturday Night. Will it break $100,000?

i would not complain if it does.

• Options
    rexvosrexvos Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭✭✭

@blurryface said:

@mintonlypls said:
    Currently at $80,000+ w/auction closing on Saturday Night. Will it break $100,000?

Still holdin Nolan?

Looking for FB HOF Rookies
  • Options

@rexvos said:

@blurryface said:

@mintonlypls said:

Still holdin Nolan?

I am still holding my PSA-8.5...

mint_only_pls
  • Options

@rexvos said:

@blurryface said:

@mintonlypls said:

Still holdin Nolan?

a few choice ones. after holding down the top 5 spots on the registry for awhile, the boda stuff coming to light and especially once nat (psa owner) started the hunt, i decided to make the smart move (i think) and get while the getting was good. sold nat the 72 gem directly to relinquish the top spot a lil while bavk. still holding a couple 68 nines, an 8.5, few opc, miltons, venis and the 68 uncut sheet. held on to a few of the obscure ones as well. couple 81 coke #1s, 66 sporting news cut 9 (😂), 72 veni, pacific ghosts, 94 bilinguals and high graded signed run like the mantles.

honestly the boda thing scared the absolute crap outta me. just not knowing. kinda why i went and ripped a bunch of 18/19 wax and subbed. a. for the fun of ripping w the lil one and getting him interested in collecting. and/but b. can rest assured & easy when i put those cards and sets up for him, i know that without a doubt his hero’s cards went from being ripped personally straight to being holdered. no funny business. it really was eye opening when i put pen to paper and then seeing fellow collectors pride and joys getting outed. none of mine ever came to light, but just the thought of it happening was not pleasant. i didnt ever want to be put in the position of one of my guys grails getting outted and having to decide how to handle it. or just even having that headache to begin with.

• Options
    DM23HOFDM23HOF Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have found these anomalous spike prices at the premium auction houses are very difficult to achieve outside those venues.

Instagram: mattyc_collection

• Options
    voxels123voxels123 Posts: 240 ✭✭✭
    edited October 7, 2021 11:19AM

Yes, but the reasons may be less conspiratorial than you think

• Options

Still climbing in price...

mint_only_pls
  • Options
    Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭✭

@blurryface said:

@rexvos said:

@blurryface said:

@mintonlypls said:

Still holdin Nolan?

a few choice ones. after holding down the top 5 spots on the registry for awhile, the boda stuff coming to light and especially once nat (psa owner) started the hunt, i decided to make the smart move (i think) and get while the getting was good. sold nat the 72 gem directly to relinquish the top spot a lil while bavk. still holding a couple 68 nines, an 8.5, few opc, miltons, venis and the 68 uncut sheet. held on to a few of the obscure ones as well. couple 81 coke #1s, 66 sporting news cut 9 (😂), 72 veni, pacific ghosts, 94 bilinguals and high graded signed run like the mantles.

honestly the boda thing scared the absolute crap outta me. just not knowing. kinda why i went and ripped a bunch of 18/19 wax and subbed. a. for the fun of ripping w the lil one and getting him interested in collecting. and/but b. can rest assured & easy when i put those cards and sets up for him, i know that without a doubt his hero’s cards went from being ripped personally straight to being holdered. no funny business. it really was eye opening when i put pen to paper and then seeing fellow collectors pride and joys getting outed. none of mine ever came to light, but just the thought of it happening was not pleasant. i didnt ever want to be put in the position of one of my guys grails getting outted and having to decide how to handle it. or just even having that headache to begin with.

I can honestly say I'm lost with this. LOL. Maybe it's too early. I'm in Ukraine right now.

• Options

@Mickey71 said:

@blurryface said:

@rexvos said:

@blurryface said:

@mintonlypls said:

Still holdin Nolan?

I can honestly say I'm lost with this. LOL. Maybe it's too early. I'm in Ukraine right now.

kharkiv is pretty fun. 😉

• Options

@blurryface said:

@Mickey71 said:

@blurryface said:

@rexvos said:

@blurryface said:

@mintonlypls said:

Still holdin Nolan?

kharkiv is pretty fun. 😉

Close to Lviv ??

• Options
    edited October 7, 2021 9:58PM

@Mickey71 said:

@blurryface said:

@Mickey71 said:

@blurryface said:

@rexvos said:

@blurryface said:

@mintonlypls said:

Still holdin Nolan?

kharkiv is pretty fun. 😉

Close to Lviv ??

wow, lviv? thats not really a travel destination, right? heard good things and totally safe and super laid back. there on work or hiking, maybe?

but no, kharkiv is about as far as you can get from lviv, i think. prolly a 10 hour train ride.

eta: not sure when it is, but they are supposed to have one of the best jazz festivals in europe. im in pharmaceuticals and the pharmacy museum is supposed to be there. one thing i know i wish i coulda seen.

• Options

Lviv is really nice and yes totally safe. Kyiv was gorgeous too. Multi-national military training. To be sports related....when Nolan was on, he was simply awesome...dominating. I believe under-rated and overrated at the same time. Could be very wild; but on about 60 occasions throughout his career he was simply on Mount Rushmore. Darn near unhittable.

• Options

@Mickey71 said:
    Lviv is really nice and yes totally safe. Kyiv was gorgeous too. Multi-national military training. To be sports related....when Nolan was on, he was simply awesome...dominating. I believe under-rated and overrated at the same time. Could be very wild; but on about 60 occasions throughout his career he was simply on Mount Rushmore. Darn near unhittable.

i agree about nolan. definitely a workhorse. and his tenure & work ethic will be forever engrained in his legacy. well that and robin ventura. he was my dads guy growing up so thats part of the reason for both the collecting and the liquidation for the most part. with all the trimmed stuff getting outed, i didnt want anything to tarnish that. and i certainly didnt want to pass them on to my son and then years later he find out something was not kosher w some of them. thatd be a bad look, especially from beyond the grave.

• Options
    edited October 8, 2021 11:46AM

Approaching my target of $100k+!!!!!!

All aboard...the train is about to leave the station. Jump on and hold on where you can...

mint_only_pls
  • Options

Not sure what you see happening from this one data point.

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DM23HOF said:

It's the Goldin effect..

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    threeofsixthreeofsix Posts: 565 ✭✭✭✭

@grote15 said:

@DM23HOF said:

It's the Goldin effect..

Is that similar to the Carbonaro effect?

The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few. Or the one.
    Live long, and prosper.
  • Options

I knew I should not have thrown away my statistics book from college...

mint_only_pls
  • Options

“Oops There it is….oops there it is” let’s shoot for $125,000….

mint_only_pls
  • Options
    KendallCatKendallCat Posts: 2,977 ✭✭✭✭✭

@grote15 said:

@DM23HOF said:

It's the Goldin effect..

Seems to have the same pumping effect as a Goldin auction. 🤔

• Options

what did the goldin one end at? or are we waiting for the site to break again in the coming days?

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DM23HOF said:
    I don't get the rooting for card prices, as if we are rooting for a sports team or player.

If one is about to sell a card that is on the block, sure, I suppose then it makes sense. But if a collector buys a card because he likes its look, the player, whatever reason it may be for his collection, it is hard to envision him enjoying it at home thinking, "Man, I hope this thing becomes worth so much in the future that I will feel rather compelled to sell it and therefore not have it anymore." At least that's not what runs through my mind when I am looking at my cards. But money money money seems to dominate a lot of the card world these days.

In terms of effect, these big spike prices seem relatively confined to the highest end of the grading spectrum. I follow Mantle, since that's what I primarily collect, and while the highest grades of his pieces, namely 9s, are going off in Memory Lane, the 8s and below seem pretty much the same, with premiums for exceptional eye appeal or centering.

I didn't get it decades ago and I still don't: the paying of exponential price increases for infinitesimal card quality increases. For such a small, if any, improvement in card quality, some guys out there will shell out a large amount of money. And that doesn't even take into account when the sticker says 9 or 10, and the card has PD, or a tilt, or poor centering. The Ryan RC in 9 at Memory Lane for example has some pretty aggressive PD. I have seen a few 8s in my time that torch it and if the flips were covered and the buyers were asked to select the better card, it would expose the farce pretty readily.

Especially with so much having come to light in recent years about TPG mistakes, it amazes me that there is a type of buyer out there who will still place so much value in the sticker. It is certainly its own little sandbox.

Spot on in every regard.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    edited October 9, 2021 5:09PM

Still breaking records...Money, money, money, m-o-n-e-y!

mint_only_pls
  • Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,069 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DM23HOF said:

In terms of effect, these big spike prices seem relatively confined to the highest end of the grading spectrum. I follow Mantle, since that's what I primarily collect, and while the highest grades of his pieces, namely 9s, are going off in Memory Lane, the 8s and below seem pretty much the same, with premiums for exceptional eye appeal or centering.

I wish that were the case. I'd be more than happy to buy a PSA 8 '64 Mantle at 2019-2020 prices.

• Options

All boats are lifted...especially great HOFs. It is nice to see that Willie Mays cards are finally getting their due.

mint_only_pls
  • Options

It is worth noting that the PSA 8 Ryan RC in the same auction sold for right around the going average.

• Options
    KendallCatKendallCat Posts: 2,977 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DM23HOF said:
    It is worth noting that the PSA 8 Ryan RC in the same auction sold for right around the going average.

I saw that. PSA 8 Ryan went for $8500 which is about the average with high sales being in the $10k range. Lowest sale of an 8 in the last 5-6 sales. Seems like 8’s and 8’s are holding pat, and when a rare centered PSA 9 comes up it sells for a record. Saw the same thing with Jordan rookies earlier this year where people pumped the 10’s and they were $600k+ so 9’s and 8’s jumped to high $20k range and people were pumping them up to $50k by the end of the year. Now they sell for less than $10k on average in an 8.

• Options
    picklepetepicklepete Posts: 414 ✭✭✭✭

@blurryface said:

@Mickey71 said:

@blurryface said:

@Mickey71 said:

@blurryface said:

@rexvos said:

@blurryface said:

@mintonlypls said:

Still holdin Nolan?

kharkiv is pretty fun. 😉

Close to Lviv ??

wow, lviv? thats not really a travel destination, right? heard good things and totally safe and super laid back. there on work or hiking, maybe?

but no, kharkiv is about as far as you can get from lviv, i think. prolly a 10 hour train ride.

eta: not sure when it is, but they are supposed to have one of the best jazz festivals in europe. im in pharmaceuticals and the pharmacy museum is supposed to be there. one thing i know i wish i coulda seen.

Imagine that..
    I'm into pharmaceuticals as well ! 😎

• Options

@picklepete said:

@blurryface said:

@Mickey71 said:

@blurryface said:

@Mickey71 said:

@blurryface said:

@rexvos said:

@blurryface said:

@mintonlypls said:

Still holdin Nolan?

kharkiv is pretty fun. 😉

Close to Lviv ??

Imagine that..
    I'm into pharmaceuticals as well ! 😎

LOL. I'm definitely not into pharmaceuticals. Lviv is nice.