Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Auction Lot Including Jim Brown Rookie, Is it worth it?

Hi,

A local auction house have these cards in one lot. They take very vague pictures but they are a local reputable company.
There are about 10 more cards in the lot but these are the big ones. It’s currently at $350 but think it will much higher. What’s the highest you would pay for this lot? I have been wanting some of these and trying to decide if it’s worth it.
Appreciate the help as usual!

Comments

• Options
    AhmanfanAhmanfan Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭✭

Some nice looking cards, to be honest. Obviously priced a long time ago, IE the Puckett RC being higher than the Jim Brown RC (lol). If I were taking a stab I'd be comfortable at 1k-1.5k if I could look at the 58 Brown in person to make sure it's at least a 2-3 range card.

Collecting
    HOF SIGNED FOOTBALL RCS
  • Options
    NorcalNorcal Posts: 275 ✭✭✭

@Ahmanfan said:
    Some nice looking cards, to be honest. Obviously priced a long time ago, IE the Puckett RC being higher than the Jim Brown RC (lol). If I were taking a stab I'd be comfortable at 1k-1.5k if I could look at the 58 Brown in person to make sure it's at least a 2-3 range card.

Thanks for your opinion, I really appreciate it. The auction ends tomorrow night (Thursday night) and. Hopefully it won’t go to much higher.

• Options

Anybody else with thoughts?

• Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭✭✭

A closer look at the 60’s brown and Ditka would be nice. They look centered and if the corners are sharp they could be the sleepers. I don’t see anything else that would grade high but the Brown rookie will continue to climb, no matter the grade.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,522 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would honestly pass on this one. the cards overall look nice with centering problems. the big issue for me is the screw down holders. those cards could very well have been smooshed in those screw downs for 30 years. can cause paper loss and pressed corners.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    addicted2ebayaddicted2ebay Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭✭

Vintage football is underrated imo I can see them blowing up like vintage basketball did this past year. brown, namath, ditka, unitas rc ect

• Options
    jayhawkejayhawke Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭

The Philadelphia cards looks very nice

• Options

Trying to identify the rack packs on the left. 1982?

• Options
    AlanAllenAlanAllen Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭

@Norcal said:
    Trying to identify the rack packs on the left. 1982?

82 or 83, they look identical on the front, best I can tell. Definitely one of those two years though. Nice find!

No such details will spoil my plans...
  • Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

@addicted2ebay said:
    Vintage football is underrated imo I can see them blowing up like vintage basketball did this past year. brown, namath, ditka, unitas rc ect

Basketball has a huge following in Asia, football not so much.

• Options
    GroceryRackPackGroceryRackPack Posts: 2,451 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 7, 2021 9:09PM

I'd guess 80, 81, 82, 83...
    ¯_(ツ)_/¯

• Options
    Cs223406Cs223406 Posts: 142 ✭✭✭✭

id be interested in the elvin hayes if you bought it

• Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭✭✭

I hope you bought it. I would have .

Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options

My top bid was $1200 and thought that was a good price but thought anything higher would be a gamble. The lot sold for $1376.00. I am a little disappointed I don't get to see Jim out of that screwdown.

• Options
    AhmanfanAhmanfan Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭✭

Tough call. Borderline

Collecting
    HOF SIGNED FOOTBALL RCS
  • Options
    brad31brad31 Posts: 2,566 ✭✭✭✭✭

If it went for $1376 who knows what you would have bid to get it. Easy to think you lost it by only $176 but the winner could have had a top bid of $2000 for all you know.

• Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭✭✭

@brad31 said:
    If it went for $1376 who knows what you would have bid to get it. Easy to think you lost it by only $176 but the winner could have had a top bid of $2000 for all you know.

Great point. Like Ahmanfan had said 1.5K would have been my limit.

Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.