Home Q & A Forum
Options

1964 D Nickel RPM Varieties. What do i do with them?

I have recently started collecting and noticed I have some really nice 1964 D nickels with RPM on them. The problem is PCGS only recognized 1 version of the RPM from that year. I completely understand it is just not feasible to recognize all varieties but there is only 1 grading company as far as I'm concerned. So, that leaves me with a conundrum conundrum. What do I do with 3 fabulous 1964 D RPM nickels that some collectors would love to have yet if i can not get them properly graded? Thanks for all advise and opinions.

Comments

• Options
    OldhoopsterOldhoopster Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭✭✭

Did you check to see if it EXACTLY matches any of the listed RPMs on www.varietyvista.com or www.doubleddie.com ?

Member of the ANA since 1982
  • Options

Yes, I did an overlay to make sure but none match PCGS FS-501. If I can not get them graded,will it matter? I certainly wouldn't take a strangers word on a $1500-$3000 coin.

• Options

Both varietyvista and doubleddie list 7 RPMs for 1964-D nickels including the FS-501. You should check to see which variety you have. Most RPMs are minor and that's why the TPGs don't attribute them. I'm not sure if your coins even match the known RPMs, although I only took a quick look.

BTW: I'm not sure where you got the $1500-3000 value. The PCGS price guide lists the FS501 for $65 in AU50 and $215 in MS63. The Cherrypickers Guide authors did not feel that the other varieties were significant enough to include in their book. Most RPMs are minor and rarely command more than a few dollar premium if you're lucky enough to find a bbuyer.

Not trying to rain on your parade, just Trying to give you some factual information to help you learn about RPMs and potentially save yourself some money.

• Options

I appreciate all you have written and also that you look out for me. But AU 50? MS 63? No, these are fabulous. See for yourself. It is impossible to get the entire coin with this microscope unlesss you hold it which doesn't make for the best pictures but please tell me what you think.

• Options

full disclosure, i didn't want to sound crazy immediately but rather waited until the middle of the comunication. I don't have 3 but actually 35. The were locked in a safe 55 years. I have the 7 from variety vista and some not listed. What would you experts recommend as the best approach? Some more of the RPM for viewing.

• Options

Once again, if it's not listed in the Cherry Pickers Guide, there really isn't much of a premium. Any value would be from the condition. The coins you posted aren't anywhere near full steps so they need to be in the MS67 or better range to come out ahead after grading fees. IMO, I don't think your coins are close to that, but determining ultra high grades from pics isn't my strong suite.

Which RPM types and how many of each do you have? Remember, since the RPM is part of the die, your coins will need to be an exact match. There is also info on those sites to get an undiscovered RPM attributed.

You can always post this over on the US Coins forum. It would probably get more expert eyes on it and they could determine the grades for you.

Hope this helps

• Options

Got it, truly appreciate it Mr. Oldhoopster. For clarity my dollar value was based on a comparison to the $3000 MS 65 RPM and was made in error. They are for sure not FS nickels and since there is no attributre class for these to go into then I basically just got a bunch of 64 D nickels in the 65,66 range (range in my amateur opinion) I can match a couple to the FS 501 exact matches with the overlay2 app but those coins look like someone slashed jeffies face with a machete. I haven't done a completed list and now i only have 33 as 2 of them got slung across the room and either went into the cats litterbox after richocheting off 2 walls or they are right beside it. There is one version really similar to 501 but the surrounding area on the botttom part is not as big and that bottom D shaped area does not stick out as far. Intial it looks similiar. Learned alot. I can sling the rest of these into the litterbox or put them back into the safe for my grandchildens' grandchildren to find. Take care amd be safe.