Home Sports Talk
Options

NFL MVP race so far?

doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,034 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is Pro Football Talk leading candidates for MVP so far, do you agree or disagree?

Comments

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,523 ✭✭✭✭✭

Way too early for this Double D! Remember last year Russell Wilson was hot as a pistol out of the gate? Then he did an unbelievably great job of taking himself way out of the conversation by being awful?

• Options

@perkdog said:
    Way too early for this Double D! Remember last year Russell Wilson was hot as a pistol out of the gate? Then he did an unbelievably great job of taking himself way out of the conversation by being awful?

Yep, I remember he was great at the beginning of the season, and then went downhill fast. It's going to be interesting to see how this progresses, I'll revisit this thread at the end of the season to see how this played out, this list will probably look a lot different when it's all said and done.

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭✭✭

individual awards in team sports are bull pop tarts. there's no two ways about it. and this one is the crème de la crème. so much glory is bestowed upon the "most valuable player" in the NFL, yet absolutely nowhere will you find mention of the integral cogs that augment said individual's ability to become the "most valuable" in the first place. it really is an insulting award, and if it were up to me it would be banished forever.

take Stafford, for instance. dude plays for a moribund franchise for 12 seasons and all but escaped the public consciousness. he then receives a new lease on life and goes to a legitimate team -- operative word: team -- and all of a sudden the narrative about Matthew Stafford changes completely. if he stays in Detroit, no MVP award in any of our lifetimes. now that he's in LA surrounded by actual talent, he emerges on this ridiculous list.

the same applies to #1 up above. Kyler is my favorite player in the NFL, but think back to the post i made prior the season: i predicted a big leap for him, but that was in large part because of his supporting cast. without the arsenal he has at his disposal, his production this season would not -- i repeat, would not -- be the same.

this is an asinine award in a team sport with a disproportionate portion of the praise being assigned to one individual. it really, really needs to go away, but i know it never will for myriad reasons. if i continue with this thought there's a good chance i'll actually type out my profanity (yes it bothers me that much), so i'm outtie

• Options
    edited September 30, 2021 10:48AM

@galaxy27 said:
    individual awards in team sports are bull pop tarts. there's no two ways about it. and this one is the crème de la crème. so much glory is bestowed upon the "most valuable player" in the NFL, yet absolutely nowhere will you find mention of the integral cogs that augment said individual's ability to become the "most valuable" in the first place. it really is an insulting award, and if it were up to me it would be banished forever.

take Stafford, for instance. dude plays for a moribund franchise for 12 seasons and all but escaped the public consciousness. he then receives a new lease on life and goes to a legitimate team -- operative word: team -- and all of a sudden the narrative about Matthew Stafford changes completely. if he stays in Detroit, no MVP award in any of our lifetimes. now that he's in LA surrounded by actual talent, he emerges on this ridiculous list.

the same applies to #1 up above. Kyler is my favorite player in the NFL, but think back to the post i made prior the season: i predicted a big leap for him, but that was in large part because of his supporting cast. without the arsenal he has at his disposal, his production this season would not -- i repeat, would not -- be the same.

this is an asinine award in a team sport with a disproportionate portion of the praise being assigned to one individual. it really, really needs to go away, but i know it never will for myriad reasons. if i continue with this thought there's a good chance i'll actually type out my profanity (yes it bothers me that much), so i'm outtie

And I agree with you for the most part but take my boy Tom Brady. There were minimal players outside of Gronk and Edelman at his disposal and he went above and beyond working with what he had and excelled. The QB still has to put in work and in some cases he can get it down without a star studded cast.

• Options

2dueces is going to hit the roof when he sees that Josh Allen isn't on this list, he's going beat the crap out of me.

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

this is an asinine award in a team sport with a disproportionate portion of the praise being assigned to one individual.

what is really asinine is that the entire list is comprised of QB's.

• Options

@perkdog said:

@galaxy27 said:

And I agree with you for the most part but take my boy Tom Brady. There were minimal players outside of Gronk and Edelman at his disposal and he went above and beyond working with what he had and excelled. The QB still has to put in work and in some cases he can get it down be without a star studded cast.

it's for this very reason why i consider TB the best of all time. no one consistently made chicken salad out of chicken pop tarts the way he did. very rarely, if ever, do you open up the cupboard of a Super Bowl winning quarterback and see ramen noodles staring you in face. I wouldnt go so far to say that all Brady had to eat was ramen noodles, but there were a number of lean championship years when he was putting away like spaghettios with meatballs.

but that has all changed in Tampa. there's caviar in Tom's pantry now, and sporadic acknowledgement of that is all I have been looking for on these boards.

and finally, think about any quarterback who plays for the Bears. forget about what you have to eat -- are you gonna be able to feed yourself at season's end? if we're gonna dole out MVP awards, then there needs to be an award for not being a vegetable when you endure 17 games of Matt Nagy employing a 5-man sieve to protect you

• Options
    edited September 30, 2021 11:24AM

Aside from Trent Dilfer in 2000? Or whenever it was can we name any other team that won a super bowl without a top tier QB ( amongst his peers) I’m curious.

You guys that think you can insert any QB into a great all around team and win consistently are nuts. It’s not going to happen and it never has.

I’m not saying the benchmark for a HOF or MVP is in any way based on Super Bowl wins but the mark of a successful franchise starts and ends with a QB.

I don’t care what anyone’s argument is against that because if you don’t agree then your flat out wrong in my opinion.

This is exactly why MVP discussions center around QB’s.

And yes I know if you put Brady or other top tier QB’s on the Jets they probably won’t be successful but the team will be far better off than without them.

The NFL is in the business of winning games and a QB will give you more opportunity than other O or D player.

• Options

@galaxy27 said:

@perkdog said:

@galaxy27 said:

And I agree with you for the most part but take my boy Tom Brady. There were minimal players outside of Gronk and Edelman at his disposal and he went above and beyond working with what he had and excelled. The QB still has to put in work and in some cases he can get it down be without a star studded cast.

it's for this very reason why i consider TB the best of all time. no one consistently made chicken salad out of chicken pop tarts the way he did. very rarely, if ever, do you open up the cupboard of a Super Bowl winning quarterback and see ramen noodles staring you in face. I wouldnt go so far to say that all Brady had to eat was ramen noodles, but there were a number of lean championship years when he was putting away like spaghettios with meatballs.

but that has all changed in Tampa. there's caviar in Tom's pantry now, and sporadic acknowledgement of that is all I have been looking for on these boards.

and finally, think about any quarterback who plays for the Bears. forget about what you have to eat -- are you gonna be able to feed yourself at season's end? if we're gonna dole out MVP awards, then there needs to be an award for not being a vegetable when you endure 17 games of Matt Nagy employing a 5-man sieve to protect you

I get what your saying. I think lol

• Options
    telephoto1telephoto1 Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭✭✭

My vote- Robbie Gould. 8-)

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • Options

@telephoto1 said:
    My vote- Robbie Gould. 8-)

Rex Grossman? Who got spanked by the team with the better QB btw

• Options

I've always liked Robbie since he was a Bear. He'd still be there except they wanted to save salary $.

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • Options

Aside from Trent Dilfer in 2000? Or whenever it was can we name any other team that won a super bowl without a top tier QB ( amongst his peers) I’m curious.

Jim Mc Mahon anyone?

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • Options

@perkdog

sorry, i probably muddied the waters by allowing my disdain for Nagy to infiltrate my thought process :D

i'm not saying that a quarterback is unessential to a team's success. very clearly he is, because he dictates what happens to the football with every offensive snap. i'm simply annoyed by arbitrary awards that are meted out to individuals in team sports, because the cohorts of a "most valuable player" are always lost in the shuffle amid all of the incessant adoration. if an award like this is going to exist, can we at least engrave the names of every teammate who contributed to the cause? because without them, that trophy would cease to exist as a part of the shrine in the "most valuable player's" home.

• Options
    edited September 30, 2021 4:21PM

@galaxy27 said:
    @perkdog

sorry, i probably muddied the waters by allowing my disdain for Nagy to infiltrate my thought process :D

i'm not saying that a quarterback is unessential to a team's success. very clearly he is, because he dictates what happens to the football with every offensive snap. i'm simply annoyed by arbitrary awards that are meted out to individuals in team sports, because the cohorts of a "most valuable player" are always lost in the shuffle amid all of the incessant adoration. if an award like this is going to exist, can we at least engrave the names of every teammate who contributed to the cause? because without them, that trophy would cease to exist as a part of the shrine in the "most valuable player's" home.

Believe me I absolutely get it, I never gave much thought to MVP awards or discussions for that matter because most of the time it’s a popularity contest.

And again let me say it before someone like Dallas comes in and flips out on me, I absolutely do not gauge a players worth on Championships at all.

I agree 100% that it’s a team effort but again I do think a team with a top tier QB as a starting point to building a team for consistent winning is the most important piece.

• Options
    edited September 30, 2021 3:00PM

@telephoto1 said:

Jim Mc Mahon anyone?

Good call, I will add Jeff Hostetler and Brad Johnson to the list. That being said we got 4 irrelevant QB’s since the 1984/85 season that won a Super Bowl

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

Most important positions are QB, Left Tackle ( or Right if QB is a lefty), cornerback, and edge rusher who can get to the QB. In the NFL, the MVP Award might as well be called the MVQB Award. That's just how they do it. That's why the also give out offensive and defensive players of the year, to fit some other guys in and make them happy too.

• Options

At this moment, the only MVPs are those fighting fans

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

regarding Matthew Stafford: his stock seems to have gone way up this season as well as most everyone's opinion of him. I see that as rather strange. I have always been under the impression that good, great players have the ability and the tendency to raise those around them to a higher level. with Stafford, the opposite seems to be true, the players around him lift HIM higher. in Detroit, even when he was pitching to "Megatron" Stafford could never carry the Lions anywhere. now the rejuvenated Rams are world beaters and he's the reason.

I think not.

• Options
    LandrysFedoraLandrysFedora Posts: 1,798 ✭✭✭✭✭

@perkdog said:

@telephoto1 said:

Jim Mc Mahon anyone?

Good call, I will add Jeff Hostetler and Brad Johnson to the list. That being said we got 4 irrelevant QB’s since the 1984/85 season that won a Super Bowl

How about Doug Williams?

• Options

@LandrysFedora said:

@perkdog said:

@telephoto1 said:

Jim Mc Mahon anyone?

How about Doug Williams?

Another great call. So we are at 5 since the 1984/85 Season….