Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Krause World Coin Catalogs - Any More ?

Will there be any more new editions or has the series come to an end ? If there are new editions where should I look ? Like I have for the 21st Century ( 2001 To Date ) the 2018 12th Edition and only one edition since.

Comments

• Options
    dorancoinsdorancoins Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭

Due to the breakup of Krause's parent company, F&W Publications, the periodicals are owned by Active Interest Media while the books are owned by a subsidiary of Penguin Books. The Krause books are a general guide but I might suggest getting books issued overseas. Expensive, but there is more information than the Krause books. That is how I get by.

DORAN COINS - On Facebook, Instagram, X (formerly Twitter), & www.dorancoins.net - UPCOMING SHOWS (tentative dates)- 10/8/2023 - Fairfield, IL, 11/5/2023 - Urbana, IL., 12/3/2023 - Mattoon, IL.
  • Options
    pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭✭✭

Personally, I wouldn't count on any further updates to the Krause catalogs. I don't believe they have staff to perform any updates (corrections, new issues, changed prices). Most people don't realize how much work goes into updating these every year.

• Options
    WCCWCC Posts: 2,371 ✭✭✭✭✭

The prices are and were only right by accident anyway.

• Options
    MasonGMasonG Posts: 6,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

I bought a 21st Century ( 2001 To Date ) issue a while back and over half the coins I tried to look up weren't listed.

FWIW...

• Options
    BailathaclBailathacl Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭

It has been a very good thing for the hobby to have an industry standard guide and catalog, even if price data was always suspect. Having catalog numbers for attribution and identification purposes alone made Krause very useful for me. Is any one source or handful of sources capable of filling the vacuum?

"The Internet? Is that thing still around??" - Homer Simpson
  • Options
    neildrobertsonneildrobertson Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭✭✭

If they print a new one, it doesn't mean the prices will be any more up-to-date.

I agree that having an accurate catalog is extremely important to the hobby. If I were able to contribute to a price guide in the area that I collect on a volunteer basis, then I definitely would.

IG: DeCourcyCoinsEbay: neilrobertson
    "Numismatic categorizations, if left unconstrained, will increase spontaneously over time." -me

• Options

@neildrobertson said:
    If they print a new one, it doesn't mean the prices will be any more up-to-date.

To my knowledge, the prices for South Africa Union and ZAR are the same now as in my 1998 edition.

@neildrobertson said:

I agree that having an accurate catalog is extremely important to the hobby. If I were able to contribute to a price guide in the area that I collect on a volunteer basis, then I definitely would.

It depends what you mean by accurate. Something resembling "ballpark" would actually be useful. For the coins I (have) collect(ed) and follow, most sell too infrequently where any guide could ever be accurate.

For starters, it would be useful if Krause would stop just making their entries up. As obvious examples, the 1752 Peru 4R is listed in multiple grades when only one is purported to exist. Assuming one does, the list prices are also ridiculously low. Similar idea for several South African and Bolivian coins which either have never or likely have never publicly sold. And if these did, unlikely anyone associated with Krause would know it either.

• Options

@Bailathacl said:
    It has been a very good thing for the hobby to have an industry standard guide and catalog, even if price data was always suspect. Having catalog numbers for attribution and identification purposes alone made Krause very useful for me. Is any one source or handful of sources capable of filling the vacuum?

Agree but then the collector only needs one. Mine are from 1997 and 1998 and since the prices are never going to be accurate for my areas of interest, I'll never need another one.

These catalogs aren't cheap for the average collector (not those on this forum) and a possible reason for its discontinuance.

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,938 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm glad I have the 1986 two volume hardcover Krause-Mishler edition. It covers a greater time span than the later "century" editions. The prices may be way out of date but I really just need it for identification and mintage info.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    neildrobertsonneildrobertson Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 4, 2021 3:05PM

@WCC said:
    For starters, it would be useful if Krause would stop just making their entries up. As obvious examples, the 1752 Peru 4R is listed in multiple grades when only one is purported to exist. Assuming one does, the list prices are also ridiculously low. Similar idea for several South African and Bolivian coins which either have never or likely have never publicly sold. And if these did, unlikely anyone associated with Krause would know it either.

I've been a long-time fan of the German Jaeger catalog's approach to this subject. For any items that are too rarely seen to establish a price on, they just write "LP". I like it because it still effectively communicates that the item is exceedingly rare without making something up. And truthfully, if you are looking for an item that rare, then you should know enough about it to establish whatever price you are willing to pay. Items of that rarity also tend to have highly variable prices from appearance to appearance at auction.

IG: DeCourcyCoinsEbay: neilrobertson
    "Numismatic categorizations, if left unconstrained, will increase spontaneously over time." -me

• Options
    coinandcurrency242coinandcurrency242 Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭✭

You can find free prices online now through the world price guide powered by numisMaster. Not sure how accurate it is, but it is online for free.

Positive BST as a seller: Namvet69, Lordmarcovan, Bigjpst, Soldi, mustanggt, CoinHoader, moursund, SufinxHi, al410, JWP

• Options
    pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coinandcurrency242 said:
    You can find free prices online now through the world price guide powered by numisMaster. Not sure how accurate it is, but it is online for free.

Who do you think Numismaster is? :o
    And after you answer that question, how accurate do you think it is?

You know the old saying, "follow the money."

• Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,255 ✭✭✭✭✭

May I suggest the excellent catalog by Schon: Welt Munzkatalog
    Much information, fairly accurate although I have found a few miscues....

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.