Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

I have a 1984 topps baseball card with Randy Bush in front and not sure what's happened on the back.

Best Answers

• Options
    GreenSneakersGreenSneakers Posts: 908 ✭✭✭✭

It’s a miscut. A really bad one. 1982 is notorious for these but quality control was somewhat lax during this entire period. There is no value ascribed, if that’s what you are asking. Other than someone that collects oddball stuff or if there was a star on the front, there isn’t much of a market.

• Options
    BarfvaderBarfvader Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 30, 2021 6:24PM Answer ✓

A miscut for me is a card with portions of other cards both front and back but yours would still qualify as such..

Click on the Miscut Museum link below for extreme examples.

• Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jsqt46 said:
    If it was your card, or you have a card with the same type of severe misfit on the back, would you send it in for grading?

No. There is no value graded or not.

• Options

@jsqt46 said:
    If it was your card, or you have a card with the same type of severe misfit on the back, would you send it in for grading?

Everyone has different reasons for collecting and/or sending items in to be graded so I'll give my perspective. If doing for a supposed jump in value and on this particular card in question for me would be a resounding no to your question. And if I had others with only the back miscut, again a no.

I have pretty good star power in my miscut collection but personally see no reason to attempt to grade them ever and if I were it would be to protect them which also, for me, is not needed as they are safe enough in the binders I have them in.

I think the issue is that people look at eBay listings that SCREAM RARE, 1 OF 1, ERROR and list at ridiculous prices and people think that all miscuts are some kind of rarity when (in my opinion) there is nothing rare about them, especially in the vintage category. Are they more rare with all the new and shiny cards? I certainly don't know as I don't buy anything new.

I guess I'm getting old because I remember that no matter how sharp the card was, if it was miscut it was deemed poor condition and poor condition had little to no value. I don't collect these for value. I collect them because I love doing so and get enjoyment out of them. :smile:

Answers

• Options

You answered perfectly. I appreciate your time. Too bad there's not a market for such things. I couldn't find out anything on the card. I collect sports cards and other miscellaneous stuff. I've just never come across one like this one!

• Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Barfvader said:
    If the front is mostly perfect centering I would call this more of a wrong back.

A miscut for me is a card with portions of other cards both front and back.

OK, but if you sent it to PSA it would either be rejected as miscut or get the MC qualifier.

• Options

@daltex said:

@Barfvader said:
    If the front is mostly perfect centering I would call this more of a wrong back.

A miscut for me is a card with portions of other cards both front and back.

OK, but if you sent it to PSA it would either be rejected as miscut or get the MC qualifier.

Yup, that's why I changed what I posted almost as fast as I hit the button to post. :D

• Options

I appreciate the info! So why would it be rejected?

• Options
    DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jsqt46 said:
    I appreciate the info! So why would it be rejected?

It’s a possibility, not a certainty, and it would be because it’s severely miscut on back, as already mentioned.

Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, Dwight Evans, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• Options