Home U.S. Coin Forum

Going rate for 90% silver coins

What’s the going rate for 90% silver coins?
Going to a “estate sale” tomorrow they have a bunch of rolls of dimes and quarters
Anybody buying and at what price

Thanks
Frank D

Comments

• PTVETTERPTVETTER Posts: 5,880 ✭✭✭✭✭

good luck with the falling silver prices !

Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

• pcgscacgoldpcgscacgold Posts: 2,615 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was at a coin show on 9/19/21. The dealer was paying $17 face and selling at $20 face. Silver has come down from then but that doesn't mean prices have.

• PppPpp Posts: 462 ✭✭✭✭

Last week dealers were paying 16x and selling for 19x dimes/quarters and 20x for half’s

• Jzyskowski1Jzyskowski1 Posts: 6,651 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 29, 2021 4:24PM

Today’s close with chart for last week

Some random prices

🎶 shout shout, let it all out 🎶

• moursundmoursund Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭✭✭

The problem with buying bulk coins from ebay is: high-ish prices, and shipping costs...
    I suppose if i lived in a major city there would be more 'estate sale' opportunities.

100th pint of blood donated 7/19/2022 B) . Transactions with WilliamF, Relaxn, LukeMarshal, jclovescoins, braddick, JWP, Weather11am, Fairlaneman, Dscoins, lordmarcovan, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, JimW. God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son, that who so believeth in him should not perish but have everlasting life.
  • Jzyskowski1Jzyskowski1 Posts: 6,651 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 29, 2021 4:42PM

@moursund said:
    The problem with buying bulk coins from ebay is: high-ish prices, and shipping costs...
    I suppose if i lived in a major city there would be more 'estate sale' opportunities

Agreed. It does provide an idea, along with other sources of current information. I am with you. I’m not buying bulk from them (unless, there’s that good deal 😉)

🎶 shout shout, let it all out 🎶

• jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,611 ✭✭✭✭✭

@KISHU1 said:
    What’s the going rate for 90% silver coins?
    Going to a “estate sale” tomorrow they have a bunch of rolls of dimes and quarters
    Anybody buying and at what price

Thanks
    Frank D

You need to find the buyer first.

• TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,589 ✭✭✭✭✭

My starting point is multiplying the silver price by 0.695 to get the value per face value dollar. Then multiply that by the amount of dollars I’m trying to sell. Easy formula. If silver keeps softening you may find your multiplier is a bit lower.

@TurtleCat said:
    My starting point is multiplying the silver price by 0.695 to get the value per face value dollar. Then multiply that by the amount of dollars I’m trying to sell. Easy formula. If silver keeps softening you may find your multiplier is a bit lower.

Yesterday it was selling at +$3.50 wholesale

• TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,589 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@TurtleCat said:

Yesterday it was selling at +$3.50 wholesale

When I’m selling silver I have a hard time getting more than my formula. Not being a dealer makes it a bit more of a challenge.

• coinercoiner Posts: 430 ✭✭✭

The rate should be .715
    715 oz pure in $1000 face

• coinercoiner Posts: 430 ✭✭✭

Silver dollars .772

@coiner said:
    Silver dollars .772

Silver dollars don't sell as 90% unless they are bent, holed and carved. LOL.

• moursundmoursund Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@coiner said:
    Silver dollars .772

But still contain that 90% silver. Unless they are counterfeit. Or Ikes. 🙂

100th pint of blood donated 7/19/2022 B) . Transactions with WilliamF, Relaxn, LukeMarshal, jclovescoins, braddick, JWP, Weather11am, Fairlaneman, Dscoins, lordmarcovan, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, JimW. God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son, that who so believeth in him should not perish but have everlasting life.
  • daltexdaltex Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭✭✭

@pcgscacgold said:
    I was at a coin show on 9/19/21. The dealer was paying $17 face and selling at $20 face. Silver has come down from then but that doesn't mean prices have.

Are the spreads really that big? That's huge!

• MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,123 ✭✭✭✭✭

True

Even 1921 morgans sell for over melt.

Culls are less.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions

@moursund said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@coiner said:
    Silver dollars .772

But still contain that 90% silver. Unless they are counterfeit. Or Ikes. 🙂

But that is not how they are priced.

@daltex said:

@pcgscacgold said:

Are the spreads really that big? That's huge!

Depends on who and where. Local guy was buying at $17 and selling at $18.50 yesterday.

• @pcgscacgold said:

The bullion churners are charging more than ever....

• Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

I pay 90 pct BV

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency

@Cougar1978 said:
    I pay 90 pct BV

I'm currently paying 105% of BV

• LewLew Posts: 170 ✭✭✭

Coin shoe in Collinsville, Illinois on Sun 9/26 -- highest was 18.5X.
    A couple of dealers were 18X.

• Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 1, 2021 8:05AM

Generally Shops pay about 90 pct BV on junk silver. One needs to calculate the pct of BV the buyer is offering in order to properly evaluate the deal.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency

@Cougar1978 said:
    Shops pay about 90 pct BV.

often. But the wholesaler is at +$3.50 90% is a 25% margin in the current environment.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file