Home Sports Talk
Options

Deshaun Watson to Dolphins or Eagles?

doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,956 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited September 30, 2021 9:51AM in Sports Talk

Something could be brewing according to Jay Glazer.

Jay Glazer hints that something is brewing on the Deshaun Watson front

On Sunday, Jay Glazer of Fox Sports reported that the Texans have softened their stance regarding the expectations for a Deshaun Watson trade. On Wednesday, Glazer dropped something far more vague — and far more intriguing — about the situation.

“Keep your eyes on this situation,” Glazer tweeted in specific reference to the Texans and Watson.

The Dolphins want Watson. More specifically, Dolphins owner Stephen Ross wants Watson. The sticking point has been the compensation demanded by the Texans. If they’re softening, a deal could be done.

As recently suggested, other teams could get involved — especially if they sense that the Texans want less than they’ve demanded and that the Dolphins may be closing in on getting it done. In this regard, the Eagles make sense.

Watson has a no-trade clause, and he could be hell bent on going to Miami. That would make interest elsewhere irrelevant. What’s most relevant is the current trade deadline. November 2. Any deal for Watson that will happen before March 2022 needs to happen before November 2, 2021.

And if Glazer says to keep your eyes on the situation, it makes sense to do so.

Comments

• Options

Jay Glazer usually has solid inside information, here's what he said this past Sunday, roll the dang video!

• Options

Supposedly, Dolphins owner Stephen Ross wants Watson.

• Options
    erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭✭✭

What do they do with Tua after using a top 5 pick to draft him?

• Options

Here's another report on the situation:

Miami Dolphins owner pushing for Deshaun Watson trade; how might it look

There’s been more talk about a potential Deshaun Watson trade from the Houston Texans over the past several days.

Fox Sports NFL insider Jay Glazer just recently reported that Houston is starting to lower its asking price for the franchise quarterback.

“They weren’t open to trade talks unless somebody was going to give them a ridiculous trade offer. More than six draft picks. They’ve already been offered three one’s and three three’s,” Glazer reported over the weekend. “Wanted more than that. However I was told that this past week, their stance started to soften a little bit with that.”

As you likely already know if you’ve been following the story, the 26-year-old Deshaun Watson has been a healthy inactive for Houston’s first three games of the season. This comes after he requested a trade from the downtrodden organization and following allegations of sexual misconduct on the Pro Bowler’s part.

Now, according to a report from Pro Football Talk’s Mike Florio, it’s starting to look like the Miami Dolphins are about to make a renewed play for Mr. Watson. Florio specifically points in the direction of Fins owner Stephen Ross as the one individual interested in adding the reigning NFL passing yards leader to the mix.

“The Dolphins want Watson. More specifically, Dolphins owner Stephen Ross wants Watson. The sticking point has been the compensation demanded by the Texans. If they’re softening, a deal could be done.

PFT’s Mike Florio on Dolphins’ interest in Deshaun Watson
    Miami Dolphins have been linked to Deshaun Watson for several months:

Miami’s interest in Watson is not new. Instead, it’s all about Ross wanting to bring the star quarterback to South Beach. He could very well be directing general manager Chris Grier to make it happen ahead of November’s NFL trade deadline.

With starting quarterback Tua Tagovailoa (ribs) currently on injured reserve and the Dolphins at 1-2 on the season, there might now be a renewed push on this front. Tagovailoa was seen as an injury-plagued enigma heading into the 2020 NFL Draft, leading him to dropping to the No. 5 overall pick and falling on to the Dolphins’ laps.

Since then, nothing we’ve seen from the former Alabama standout has suggested that he can be a franchise-type guy for a contending team. More injury issues in his year-plus in the NFL have added to this.

Any potential deal to bring Deshaun Watson to the Dolphins would obviously include Tua heading back to Houston. Meanwhile, the Fins have an additional first-round pick in 2023 to offer up the Texans stemming from their trade with the San Francisco 49ers this past spring.

Whether something gets done on this front remains to be seen. What we do know is that rumors continue to pick up on the Watson front despite his legal situation remaining unsettled. Ross is the power player in Miami. If he wants this to get done, there’s a good chance that it will happen.

From a pure on-field perspective, Deshaun Watson has been absolutely dynamic since Houston made him a first-round pick back in 2017.

The former Clemson star tallied a league-high 4,823 passing yards with 36 total touchdowns and seven interceptions last season. Throughout his career, he’s compiled 121 total scores and 36 picks.

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,492 ✭✭✭✭✭

Watson could get suspended by NFL is a huge potential wrinkle though

• Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭✭✭

@perkdog said:

I’m sure there would be some clause and loss of draft choices. Maybe hinging on games started?

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am not keeping track of Watson's status with the league. But last I remember, he is not on the commissioner's ineligible list and the league is waiting to dole out any punishment. Is there any clear cut opinion on what that might look like if/when his legal and/or civil matters get resolved? He could theoretically be traded, play this year, then be suspended later or some other scenario entirely.

• Options
    erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭✭✭

Houston blew it if they’ve already been offered three 1sts and three 3rds and passed on that deal. That would be a peak-type offer if he had none of the baggage going on off the field.

• Options
    blurryfaceblurryface Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

watson should send bauer tickets to his first game in miami. its been no secret dolphins owner wants watson. after all its miami. just ask robert kraft what all goes on down there in those type establishments watson like to patron.

• Options

@erikthredd said:
    Houston blew it if they’ve already been offered three 1sts and three 3rds and passed on that deal. That would be a peak-type offer if he had none of the baggage going on off the field.

This 100%

• Options

@2dueces said:

@perkdog said:

I’m sure there would be some clause and loss of draft choices. Maybe hinging on games started?

I would assume so but this is Miami, they would destroy a free lunch. How about the effects this will have on young impressionable Tua if this deal falls through lol.

• Options

@perkdog said:

@2dueces said:

@perkdog said:

I would assume so but this is Miami, they would destroy a free lunch. How about the effects this will have on young impressionable Tua if this deal falls through lol.

They could trade him to Chicago and he could learn under Nagy. 😂

Seriously though I would think Tua is in that package to Houston.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options

@2dueces said:

@perkdog said:

@2dueces said:

@perkdog said:

Exactly but my point was that if the deal falls through Tua will know that Miami wanted to get rid of him.

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭✭

this sure could shake up the AFC East

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options

@perkdog said:

@2dueces said:

@perkdog said:

@2dueces said:

@perkdog said:

Exactly but my point was that if the deal falls through Tua will know that Miami wanted to get rid of him.

I think Miami showed how much confidence they had in Tua last year when they kept pulling him late in the game and Fitzmagic did his thing. This last injury wasn’t his fault, or maybe he missed the blitz and should have shifted his OL coverage but he does have a history. The best ability is available.

W.C.Fields
  • Options
    edited September 30, 2021 10:01AM

As perkdog posted above, the Jeffrey Lurie has given the green light to go ahead and trade for Deshaun Watson, this story is certainly heating up fast. The photoshoppers have already produced a photo of Deshaun Watson in his Eagles uniform and it looks perfect, man I wish I could do this, I'm envious, those bastards.

• Options

I'm keeping a constant check on this story, new articles and speculation is running rampant, my phone keeps giving me alerts every time a new article pops up, something seems to be up, this story is everywhere, all the time, and it's madness. If anything happens, I'll be on it like stink on a gorilla!

• Options

I love it when a good story is circulating, heck, I still remember covering the Doug Pederson tanking scandal, I stayed up for days with no sleep as news continued to pour in about Doug Pederson tanking and how much it affected Giants fans and their playoff hopes.

• Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 30, 2021 1:53PM

I guess "TuaTime" is up.......His first start was last year against the Rams. I think. A very, very interesting and entertaining game. Great game! The ball bounced for the Dolphins. Dolphins won. Good for them. But......I have NEVER heard so much hype from the announcers of a game about ANY player EVER. The Cordell Stewart hype comes close but nothing like.......TUA! TUA! TUA! It's TUA TIME!!! It was so over the top that I suspected that they were trying their best to fool themselves. We shall see.

• Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 30, 2021 2:05PM

My opinion?...... If this is true....Dolphin management sees something about Tua that has caused them to give up on him. You would have to be desperate to want Watson on the roster. He's a public relations DISASTER!

• Options

I miss the Doug Pederson tanking scandal, the times we had.

• Options

Here is the latest on the Deshaun Watson trade rumors in this video.

• Options

@Hydrant said:
    My opinion?...... If this is true....Dolphin management sees something about Tua that has caused them to give up on him. You would have to be desperate to want Watson on the roster. He's a public relations DISASTER!

And again we don’t know if the NFL is going to drop the hammer on him, until these legal matters get some clarity I wouldn’t touch him let alone start the conversations at giving up 3 first rounders

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

Houston blew it if they’ve already been offered three 1sts and three 3rds and passed on that deal

who made this offer?? based on what I've read, the whole thing is being held up because no Team will move until the NFL makes a final decision. a deal such as the one above could be made only to have the League office suspend Watson.

• Options

@keets said:
    Houston blew it if they’ve already been offered three 1sts and three 3rds and passed on that deal

who made this offer?? based on what I've read, the whole thing is being held up because no Team will move until the NFL makes a final decision. a deal such as the one above could be made only to have the League office suspend Watson.

Miami has a ton of draft capital but I still find it hard to believe 3 #1’s. But he is only 26 and could be your franchise QB for 10 years.

W.C.Fields
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

Deshaun Watson is a really good NFL QB and a really bad massage client. he will play for someone if the NFL lets him.

• Options
    spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,470 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just so he gets out of H'town and we get alotta high draft picks, who cares where he goes. Clearly not the high upstanding person we thought he was. Oh right, all that matters is winning right, this is humanity after all...............

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...
  • Options

@2dueces said:

@keets said:

Miami has a ton of draft capital but I still find it hard to believe 3 #1’s. But he is only 26 and could be your franchise QB for 10 years.

Stafford was 2 1rst rounders and some change. You think Watson is not worth more? Besides the personal issues, his talent is at the top.

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...
  • Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 8, 2021 8:15PM

@spacehayduke said:

Stafford was 2 1rst rounders and some change. You think Watson is not worth more? Besides the personal issues, his talent is at the top.

The personal issues are why they won't get 3 #1s.

• Options
    Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭✭

3 #1's. Forget that. Your franchise would suffer in the long run.

• Options

Tick tock. Tick tock. That’s the clock ticking on the Dolphins season. 1-4 after Sunday. Tick tock

W.C.Fields
  • Options

@Tabe said:

As sad as we have seen the world be in recent years, I really doubt that the personal issues would bother the owner and GM of most potential suitors all they care about is win win win and DW's talent is top 5 at qb. Keep in mind also that for Stafford, Detroit also received a starting qb that went to the super bowl along with the #1's. I am sure the Texans won't part with DW w/o at least 3 1's in return before the trade deadline. If they hold on to him and if his legal issues are resolved, it'll have to be even higher return. If they are not resolved, then who knows?

Best, SH

• Options

Clocks ticking faster on the 1-4 Dolphins. Even when Tua returns they’re still dead.

W.C.Fields
  • Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

@spacehayduke said:

@Tabe said:

As sad as we have seen the world be in recent years, I really doubt that the personal issues would bother the owner and GM of most potential suitors all they care about is win win win and DW's talent is top 5 at qb. Keep in mind also that for Stafford, Detroit also received a starting qb that went to the super bowl along with the #1's. I am sure the Texans won't part with DW w/o at least 3 1's in return before the trade deadline. If they hold on to him and if his legal issues are resolved, it'll have to be even higher return. If they are not resolved, then who knows?

Best, SH

No team gives up 3 #1s with unresolved personal issues. Not a chance. The Dolphins don't care about the issues other than impacting Watson's availability.

If those issues go away? 3 #1s is definitely plausible.

• Options

The problem with giving up all that draft capital is you can more than likely forget about drafting talent to supplement Watson, I’m not sure of the financial aspect after giving up all these picks but you best have some money to throw around to some free agent WR’s or it will be a waste.

The NFL’s is waiting until the legal issues surrounding this case get some clarity, until then I’d be very hesitant to mortgage the house on this guy. He is elite but if he can’t play it’s not worth it

• Options

Legal matters or not. He can make a team that’s playoff ready a contender instantly.
    It’ll take this off season it sort it all out.

W.C.Fields
  • Options

@Tabe said:

No team gives up 3 #1s with unresolved personal issues. Not a chance. The Dolphins don't care about the issues other than impacting Watson's availability.

If those issues go away? 3 #1s is definitely plausible.

I think if a trade happens during the season, there will be contingencies on the draft picks, there will be 3 #1's, but if the personal issues do not go away when his trial is finished, there will be ways for the trading team to bring the draft picks back. So there is risk for everyone until the legal issues are resolved, we will see if any team bites before the trade deadline.

• Options

@2dueces said:
    Legal matters or not. He can make a team that’s playoff ready a contender instantly.
    It’ll take this off season it sort it all out.

That is why teams will give up the draft capital. A confident GM knows he can always build with free agency or well thought out lower draft picks once the once in a decade franchise player is in the house.

• Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,292 ✭✭✭✭✭

I knew there was a Watson thread so didn't want to make another. Just to add:
    https://wtam.iheart.com/content/2021-10-20-blockbuster-deshaun-watson-trade-could-be-done-this-week-report/
    "The Houston Texans are reportedly close to reaching a deal with the Miami Dolphins regarding a trade involving quarterback Deshaun Watson prior to the NFL Trade Deadline on November 2."

"could be a three team deal that would involve Dolphins quarterback Tua Tagovailoa being sent to the Washington Football Team."

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭✭

very interesting. I dont think Tua ended up being what they thought he was going to be. that could shake up the division a bit.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options

@Steven59 said:
    I knew there was a Watson thread so didn't want to make another. Just to add:
    https://wtam.iheart.com/content/2021-10-20-blockbuster-deshaun-watson-trade-could-be-done-this-week-report/
    "The Houston Texans are reportedly close to reaching a deal with the Miami Dolphins regarding a trade involving quarterback Deshaun Watson prior to the NFL Trade Deadline on November 2."

"could be a three team deal that would involve Dolphins quarterback Tua Tagovailoa being sent to the Washington Football Team."

Yes, this is very interesting news, thank you for the update.

• Options
    FluxFlux Posts: 149 ✭✭

Just noise in my opinion. I donot see any team realistically giving up what the Texans want with zero resolution in Watson’s legal issues.

• Options

Yes, we are on 24 hour Deshaun Watson trade watch, if anything goes down you'll be the first to know. It's nice in Miami this time of year, perfect weather for a trade!

• Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,292 ✭✭✭✭✭

November 2nd is fast approaching and no word of this trade happening. More fake news? ?

[ https://wtam.iheart.com/content/2021-10-20-blockbuster-deshaun-watson-trade-could-be-done-this-week-report/
    "The Houston Texans are reportedly close to reaching a deal with the Miami Dolphins regarding a trade involving quarterback Deshaun Watson prior to the NFL Trade Deadline on November 2."]

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"