Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Best Consignment Options for BBCE Boxes?

ndleondleo Posts: 4,078 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited September 29, 2021 4:00PM in Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

I have a few late 1970's-1983 BBCE boxes I want to consign. I used Probstein and PWCC and the results were barely OK. I haven't used 4SC since their rep seems to be graded singles. I have never used one of the well known hobby auction houses like REA or CollectAuctions since I don't see the advantage from a sales price/fee point of view. I could be wrong, so looking for feedback.

Mike

Comments

• Options
    blurryfaceblurryface Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

whatcha got specifically?

• Options
    rexvosrexvos Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭✭✭

you can list yourself on myslabs.com

Looking for FB HOF Rookies
  • Options

@rexvos said:

slabs do well there, boxes not so much, at least for me

Mike
  • Options
    rexvosrexvos Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ndleo said:

@rexvos said:

slabs do well there, boxes not so much, at least for me

message me what you have there,

Looking for FB HOF Rookies
  • Options
    TiborTibor Posts: 3,260 ✭✭✭✭✭

How about the BST forum here. you avoid the fees.

• Options
    nendeenendee Posts: 553 ✭✭✭

What you got?

Cubs and Purdue Fan - Ouch!

My collecting blog: http://ctcard.wordpress.com
  • Options
    tulsaboytulsaboy Posts: 281 ✭✭✭

Alternatively there are a couple of Facebook groups that are specifically for vintage unopened. BBCE boxes always do well there. You can sell at your price and not give up 10-20% to an auction house. If they are 1977-1983, they should sell quickly.
    kevin

• Options
    dontippetdontippet Posts: 2,586 ✭✭✭✭

@tulsaboy said:
    Alternatively there are a couple of Facebook groups that are specifically for vintage unopened. BBCE boxes always do well there. You can sell at your price and not give up 10-20% to an auction house. If they are 1977-1983, they should sell quickly.
    kevin

That's exactly what I was going to say, and even the high end boxes go well and quickly on these facebook groups.

> [Click on this link to see my ebay listings.](https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=&_in_kw=1&_ex_kw=&_sacat=0&_udlo=&_udhi=&_ftrt=901&_ftrv=1&_sabdlo=&_sabdhi=&_samilow=&_samihi=&_sadis=15&_stpos=61611&_sargn=-1&saslc=1&_salic=1&_fss=1&_fsradio=&LH_SpecificSeller=1&_saslop=1&_sasl=mygirlsthree3&_sop=12&_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_fosrp=1)
    >

Successful transactions on the BST boards with rtimmer, coincoins, gerard, tincup, tjm965, MMR, mission16, dirtygoldman, AUandAG, deadmunny, thedutymon, leadoff4, Kid4HOF03, BRI2327, colebear, mcholke, rpcolettrane, rockdjrw, publius, quik, kalinefan, Allen, JackWESQ, CON40, Griffeyfan2430, blue227, Tiggs2012, ndleo, CDsNuts, ve3rules, doh, MurphDawg, tennessebanker, and gene1978.
  • Options

So I have a follow up question. I'm also looking to sell an 89 fleer basketball bbce wrapped box. If I post on the for sale forum here, do people pay thru PayPal? Are there a lot of scammers out there? I've been on ebay for 20+ years with 10,000 pos. Feedback, but how would people know I'm legit on this forum?

• Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

@84_Roar said:
    So I have a follow up question. I'm also looking to sell an 89 fleer basketball bbce wrapped box. If I post on the for sale forum here, do people pay thru PayPal? Are there a lot of scammers out there? I've been on ebay for 20+ years with 10,000 pos. Feedback, but how would people know I'm legit on this forum?

I've never done it, but I'd imagine you could arrange it however you want. If you think it's valuable include your eBay ID.

• Options

@84_Roar said:

I've not yet had a problem on the forum groups, and I've both bought and sold there. People use a whole wide variety of payment options on them. I've always just used PayPal. Some people ask for Friends and Family, which of course avoids fees but doesn't have the same protections built in. I always just use goods and services through PayPal, because I don't mind paying the fees in exchange for the protection it provides. That said, I've not yet had a problem. Other people use Venmo, CashApp, etc. But I've found PayPal to be best for my purposes. If you are new to the group, it doesn't hurt to have some folks who know you vouch for you. But a lot of the groups use "coining" (putting a coin or a notecard with your name and the day's date on it in your picture) to demonstrate that you have the object you are selling. Several of the guys here on the CU are members of those groups.
    kevin

• Options
    GOBUCKSGOBUCKS Posts: 47 ✭✭

Why is everyone so quick to consign stuff. There are a ton of places to first try to sell yourself and save on the fees. FB has a group now for about anything card related. Not to mention myslabs

• Options
    dontippetdontippet Posts: 2,586 ✭✭✭✭

I would first try selling on the vintage unopened page on facebook. Things sell very quickly there. I would also reference your ebay username to give some validity to yourself. If you go through Paypal Goods and Services, then then you get charged 3%, but the buyer is covered.

> [Click on this link to see my ebay listings.](https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=&_in_kw=1&_ex_kw=&_sacat=0&_udlo=&_udhi=&_ftrt=901&_ftrv=1&_sabdlo=&_sabdhi=&_samilow=&_samihi=&_sadis=15&_stpos=61611&_sargn=-1&saslc=1&_salic=1&_fss=1&_fsradio=&LH_SpecificSeller=1&_saslop=1&_sasl=mygirlsthree3&_sop=12&_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_fosrp=1)
    >

Successful transactions on the BST boards with rtimmer, coincoins, gerard, tincup, tjm965, MMR, mission16, dirtygoldman, AUandAG, deadmunny, thedutymon, leadoff4, Kid4HOF03, BRI2327, colebear, mcholke, rpcolettrane, rockdjrw, publius, quik, kalinefan, Allen, JackWESQ, CON40, Griffeyfan2430, blue227, Tiggs2012, ndleo, CDsNuts, ve3rules, doh, MurphDawg, tennessebanker, and gene1978.
  • Options

The main reason I want to consign is the value of the boxes and not wanting to deal with any post sales issues. Also it is difficult to properly value boxes that don't trade that much. For example 1980 Topps Baseball Wax Box BBCE FASC. I see regular BBCEs boxes sell for around $5000. What premium should I place on a FASC box? $7000? I would rather let the market decide.

Mike
  • Options

@ndleo said:
    The main reason I want to consign is the value of the boxes and not wanting to deal with any post sales issues. Also it is difficult to properly value boxes that don't trade that much. For example 1980 Topps Baseball Wax Box BBCE FASC. I see regular BBCEs boxes sell for around $5000. What premium should I place on a FASC box? $7000? I would rather let the market decide.

I get that you want the market to decide. But I will suggest that many of the Facebook groups, with their special area of focus and depth of focused collectors, in many ways set the market for what you are selling. The folks on these groups (myself included) all shop the big auction houses, ebay, and private sales. Most everyone who has the horsepower to buy your items is keenly aware of the market. I would suggest going to those groups and looking at old posts to see what those items have been selling for. Most (if not everything) you have identified as having for sale has been sold in the last 12 months on those groups. In most cases, many many times. If you are not entirely sure on the price, throw a big one out there and make it clear that you will consider offers.
    Just my two cents.
    kevin

• Options
    GansetttimeGansetttime Posts: 219 ✭✭✭

@tulsaboy said:

@ndleo said:

I get that you want the market to decide. But I will suggest that many of the Facebook groups, with their special area of focus and depth of focused collectors, in many ways set the market for what you are selling. The folks on these groups (myself included) all shop the big auction houses, ebay, and private sales. Most everyone who has the horsepower to buy your items is keenly aware of the market. I would suggest going to those groups and looking at old posts to see what those items have been selling for. Most (if not everything) you have identified as having for sale has been sold in the last 12 months on those groups. In most cases, many many times. If you are not entirely sure on the price, throw a big one out there and make it clear that you will consider offers.
    Just my two cents.
    kevin

What if one isn't on Facebook?

• Options
    19541954 Posts: 2,866 ✭✭✭

I am a buyer of unopened and have been for 25 years. If you have really good stuff, many here on the board will be knocking your door down to buy it. The unopened 1980 Topps box is really good and you will have no problem selling this. Tell us what other items you have and you can either get an idea of the value or sell it here. PM if you are interested in selling it.

Looking for high grade rookie cards and unopened boxes/cases
  • Options
    bziddybziddy Posts: 710 ✭✭✭

Sorry for digging up a slightly old thread, but I came here for this question specifically...

Is there anyone that does 3rd party proxy services? Dunno if Steve does that for some sort of fee to ensure that a) it's really a real product and b) the product and money changes hands correctly.

I am kind of in the same boat -- I have a bunch of 1980-1987 BBCE (lot of FASC) baseball products that I am going to move at some point. Would hate to get burned on the biggest item I move (which I think is the same as above, an 80T BBCE FASC).

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 17, 2021 12:22AM

@1954 said:
    I am a buyer of unopened and have been for 25 years. If you have really good stuff, many here on the board will be knocking your door down to buy it. The unopened 1980 Topps box is really good and you will have no problem selling this. Tell us what other items you have and you can either get an idea of the value or sell it here. PM if you are interested in selling it.

Agree. I've bought a lot from the BST including a deal with you sir ; ). Plenty of strong buyers on BST. I think I bought over a 100k last year there. Many of the deals were made without even a listing. Just via PM.

My operators are standing by 24/7 ; ) . I'm also available to vouch for many members here if you want to reach out. 1954 for example is golden.

Circumventing eBay, consignment fees, auction fees and time can be mutually beneficial. Private treaty can be a beautiful thing resulting two winners. Seller and buyer. More "net" cash for the seller and more stash for the buyer.

FYI Grote15 is an active buyer and seller and tracks sales like a hound dog. He's looped into all the major players and is an excellent source of price discovery. I owe him many beers. Many of his boxes are in my collection and many of my dough is in his bank.

I still get excited every time I see a PM from one of the good guys reaching out to me on great product they want to move to make room for something else.

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    balco758balco758 Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭✭✭

Small hijack…..what’s fair value for 1980 Super Cello BBCE?

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

@balco758 said:
    Small hijack…..what’s fair value for 1980 Super Cello BBCE?

In the range of $3600 to $4000

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    nendeenendee Posts: 553 ✭✭✭

Whats still for sale from this thread?

Cubs and Purdue Fan - Ouch!

My collecting blog: http://ctcard.wordpress.com