Home PSA Set Registry Forum

Should I Grade This 1952 Bowman?

I'm debating (when the grading prices to go down, whether to grad this 1952 Bowman Gene Woodling card. What concerns me the most is the stain on the reverse. It doesn't cover up anything so you can't read the type, but it still bugs me. So here are the questions I have:

Is there anything I could use to remove the stain?
If not, would it be ok to grade it, and should I take a qualifier for the stain or mark the submission form that I want no qualifiers.
Final question, should I not grade and wait for one without a stain to appear here on B/S/T or eBay or another auction or dealer site.

Thanks for all suggestions.

Brian
1952BowmanWoodlingF600.jpg
483.5K · Inserted

Comments

• 19591959 Posts: 607 ✭✭✭

PSA no longer does qualifiers. so I think the card will get no better than a 5. Card may sell for around 30.00 , so do not get graded until grading prices go down.

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,359 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thats not a very tough card, I’d buy one graded to your liking before sending that in.

• jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,508 ✭✭✭✭

I would certainly not get graded

Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1959 said:
    PSA no longer does qualifiers. so I think the card will get no better than a 5. Card may sell for around 30.00 , so do not get graded until grading prices go down.

No, that is incorrect information. PSA is certainly still including qualifiers when grading, if the card's grade necessitates it. PSA no longer requires customers to specify a request for No Qualifiers on the sub form. Qualifiers continue to be applied where appropriate.

https://blog.psacard.com/2021/06/24/psa-blog-psa-announces-updates-to-qualifier-policy/

• 19591959 Posts: 607 ✭✭✭

miwlvrn, thanks for the info. I'm glad they still do.

• MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,580 ✭✭✭✭✭

With prices at PSA at such high levels, I think you'd lose $$. My observation is that you might get a 5, more than likely a 4. Those corners will really hurt the grade and you might get an ST, which is stain.

I think Perkdog gave you excellent advice, buy one, it'll save you the grading fees, shipping costs, untold months and months and months (been there!!) and a potential huge disappointment.

• bammerbbbammerbb Posts: 162 ✭✭✭

Thanks for the input everyone. For now I'm just leaving it my collection and when I pick up a little more cash I'll find a nicer graded card to buy.