Home Sports Talk
Options

St. Louis Cardinals -- 17 in a row

galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited September 28, 2021 7:43PM in Sports Talk

called my dad yesterday to ask him a question and he was watching the STL game against the Cubs

i said, "you're still watching them this season?"

"well, duh. they've won 16 in a row and are going to the playoffs."

(yes, he said "duh")

"whaaaaaaaat?"

i had no clue, and i certainly didn't believe it at first. when i watched them earlier this season i didn't think they were that good, thus i figured they had been eliminated weeks ago. i guess that's what i get for thinking and figuring?

longest win streaks in MLB history:

Comments

• Options
    dallasactuarydallasactuary Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭✭✭

And it has been the craziest winning streak I've ever seen. There have been a handful of blowouts, but mostly the Cards either have to hang on by their fingernails or come from behind, and the comebacks have been in the 8th or 9th inning many times. In #16, yesterday, they tied it in the 8th and then went ahead in the 9th (go ahead run scored on a wild pitch). In the bottom of the 9th, the Cardinals, the Cubs, and the umpires all forgot how the infield fly rule works and it almost ended the streak. # 15 included a 3-2-5-4-2-8-6 double play that ended an inning where the leadoff batter tripled but never scored. It has been a wild ride.

This is for you @thisistheshow - Jim Rice was actually a pretty good player.
  • Options
    edited September 29, 2021 6:37AM

diecisiete

• Options
    JRR300JRR300 Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭✭

just an amazing run. don't want to be facing them in the playoffs.

• Options
    telephoto1telephoto1 Posts: 4,752 ✭✭✭✭✭

As a Cardinals fan I understand the decision to rest some of the first team last night...but baseball superstition holds that when you are on a winning streak, you respect the streak and try to keep it going. I'm not really complaining all that much about last night's loss, but It seems to me that extending the steak stopped being important once they clinched the wildcard spot. That said, we still had shots at scoring but stranded guys on base more than once. I think we a had a legit shot at winning out once we got past Milwaukee but I suppose resting up the starters for the playoffs is wiser.
    Don't mind me; just some random babbling...

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • Options
    rooksmithrooksmith Posts: 972 ✭✭✭✭

You Jinxed it by starting this thread!!

“When you don't know what you're talking about, it's hard to know when you're finished.” - Tommy Smothers
  • Options

@rooksmith said:

You Jinxed it by starting this thread!!

they won a game after i started it bro

Shildt is the "culprit"..........he essentially ended it when he rested some of their best players last night

they won again earlier today

• Options
    LandrysFedoraLandrysFedora Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JRR300 said:
    just an amazing run. don't want to be facing them in the playoffs.

There will be a team from the west, likely the Dodgers the way it's shaping out, who will have in the area of 105 wins and have to play these red hot Cards in a one game loser go home scenario. This wild card play in series should be at least a 3 game series. Imagine your team winning 105 games and losing it all in just one game. Anything is possible in one game on any given day and to have the possibility of a 105 game winning team being knocked out in this scenario is just insane in my humble opinion.