Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Two Fantastic Mexican Numismatic Videos at the Newman Numismatic Portal

I spent a few hours viewing numismatic videos this weekend. I would like to recommend two in particular about important topics in Mexican numismatics.

First, from the 2014 ANA Convention Money Talks series is Ricardo de Leon Tallavas giving a talk about the Maximilian period in Mexico and Maximilian numismatics. Ricardo is a great teacher and is very engaging. I thought I knew a lot about this period, but I learned several things from this talk. (Note the title is wrong on the portal, but the talk is about Maximilian.)

Maximilian Talk

Next is a talk about the numismatics of Iturbide given by Carlos Jara at the 2014 USMex convention. I originally saw this talk live at the convention, but watching it again was very informative. Carlos is a great researcher and I learned a lot from his talk as well. As he shows, there is still a lot of research to be done in this area.

Iturbide Talk

I would bet that everyone will learn a thing or two from these two videos.

Comments

• Options
    AbueloAbuelo Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ricardo knows about history and numismatics. But his historical views and mine are different. But that was a good talk.

• Options
    neildrobertsonneildrobertson Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Abuelo said:
    Ricardo knows about history and numismatics. But his historical views and mine are different. But that was a good talk.

Care to elaborate? I've heard Ricardo speak many times and I feel like I understand his point of view. I'd like to understand a different point of view as well.

IG: DeCourcyCoinsEbay: neilrobertson
    "Numismatic categorizations, if left unconstrained, will increase spontaneously over time." -me

• Options
    pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Abuelo said:

I realize he takes some liberties to make the talk fun and non-academic, but I don't believe anything he said was false. Was it?

• Options
    edited September 27, 2021 3:35PM

@pruebas not at all. I do not think at all that he says anything incorrect at all. As I said, he knows, and very well, Mexican history and numismatics. And I understand he is a decent guy. The differences I have with him are just on the historical analysis. I am convinced that, despite any problems, that Iturbide, Maximiliano, and Diaz were the best thing that ever happened to Mexico. He disagrees. To be fair that makes it more fascinating. But that is as far as it is. Purely academic. But he knows his stuff very well.

• Options

The also discuss a very common problem. The difference between 308 and 307 is just the location of the value (at 6 o'clock or at 11 o'clock). Nobody seems to catch that in Iturbide's coinage.

• Options
    PillarDollarCollectorPillarDollarCollector Posts: 4,752 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for sharing!!

Collecting interests: Coins from Latin American (2020-present)

Sports: NFL & NHL