Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Precipitous Popular Player Price Plunge

So I’m amazed at how much Jeter SP rookies have crashed to. Up around $2500 for PSA 8 examples a few months ago, now can be had $700-$800. Is it safe to say at this point the market was manipulated in some way? I don’t understand how something like that happens, but I’m trying to better understand the market for Jeter RCs.

Comments

• Options
    fergie23fergie23 Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭✭

Irrational exuberance not manipulation. I sold some SP Jeter rookies during the euphoria and got paid for every single one.

Robb

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,543 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have not kept track of his prices. was the crash after his HOF induction or before?

Have 9's had a similar decline?

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    olb31olb31 Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭✭✭

before paying a ton for a card, review the pop report carefully. sp jeter 8's are somewhat common. 9's and 10's not so much. i'm not sold on 1989 griffey's either, the pop report says their are too many psa 10's. i think AROD's are way under priced especially the rarer pop ones.

Work hard and you will succeed!!
  • Options
    NGS428NGS428 Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭✭✭

@craig44 said:
    I have not kept track of his prices. was the crash after his HOF induction or before?

There was a sizable drop right around inauguration. People were trying to capitalize on the event and the market was flooded.

• Options
    OneDaysRideOneDaysRide Posts: 129 ✭✭✭

Pleasing Probe Pulls Prime Position In Paramount Peroration Panel

• Options
    dontippetdontippet Posts: 2,586 ✭✭✭✭

@craig44 said:

I bought a couple PSA 8's a few years back for around $230 each. They increased gradually and were in the $600-$900 range a couple years ago. At HOF announcement, the price went up just a bit, to around $708 ( I sold one for that price), then dropped a bit (I sold another for ($570ish). The big surge had nothing to do with his HOF status. Prices went up to about $2,300 during the past year like everything else, and has now come back.

> [Click on this link to see my ebay listings.](https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=&_in_kw=1&_ex_kw=&_sacat=0&_udlo=&_udhi=&_ftrt=901&_ftrv=1&_sabdlo=&_sabdhi=&_samilow=&_samihi=&_sadis=15&_stpos=61611&_sargn=-1&saslc=1&_salic=1&_fss=1&_fsradio=&LH_SpecificSeller=1&_saslop=1&_sasl=mygirlsthree3&_sop=12&_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_fosrp=1)
    >

Successful transactions on the BST boards with rtimmer, coincoins, gerard, tincup, tjm965, MMR, mission16, dirtygoldman, AUandAG, deadmunny, thedutymon, leadoff4, Kid4HOF03, BRI2327, colebear, mcholke, rpcolettrane, rockdjrw, publius, quik, kalinefan, Allen, JackWESQ, CON40, Griffeyfan2430, blue227, Tiggs2012, ndleo, CDsNuts, ve3rules, doh, MurphDawg, tennessebanker, and gene1978.
  • Options
    NGS428NGS428 Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dontippet said:

@craig44 said:

I bought a couple PSA 8's a few years back for around $230 each. They increased gradually and were in the $600-$900 range a couple years ago. At HOF announcement, the price went up just a bit, to around $708 ( I sold one for that price), then dropped a bit (I sold another for ($570ish). The big surge had nothing to do with his HOF status. Prices went up to about $2,300 during the past year like everything else, and has now come back.

$708 is actually on the low end. $570 is super cheap, when was that sold? They are about $800 now. They were $850 weeks before inauguration.

Last few eBay sales.. $790, $780, $810, $850.

Back in feb, 7’s we’re averaging $770. 7.5’s were $992. Everything spiked around January 2021.

• Options
    dontippetdontippet Posts: 2,586 ✭✭✭✭

@NGS428 said:

@dontippet said:

@craig44 said:

$708 is actually on the low end. $570 is super cheap, when was that sold? They are about $800 now. They were $850 weeks before inauguration.

Last few eBay sales.. $790, $780, $810, $850.

Back in feb, 7’s we’re averaging $770. 7.5’s were $992. Everything spiked around January 2021.

I sold mine in early 2020 right after he was voted into the HOF, nothing to do with inaguration. I agree that everything spiked early this year, and are not back down to about what I sold them for in early 2020.

> [Click on this link to see my ebay listings.](https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=&_in_kw=1&_ex_kw=&_sacat=0&_udlo=&_udhi=&_ftrt=901&_ftrv=1&_sabdlo=&_sabdhi=&_samilow=&_samihi=&_sadis=15&_stpos=61611&_sargn=-1&saslc=1&_salic=1&_fss=1&_fsradio=&LH_SpecificSeller=1&_saslop=1&_sasl=mygirlsthree3&_sop=12&_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_fosrp=1)
    >

Successful transactions on the BST boards with rtimmer, coincoins, gerard, tincup, tjm965, MMR, mission16, dirtygoldman, AUandAG, deadmunny, thedutymon, leadoff4, Kid4HOF03, BRI2327, colebear, mcholke, rpcolettrane, rockdjrw, publius, quik, kalinefan, Allen, JackWESQ, CON40, Griffeyfan2430, blue227, Tiggs2012, ndleo, CDsNuts, ve3rules, doh, MurphDawg, tennessebanker, and gene1978.
  • Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭✭✭

@olb31 said:
    before paying a ton for a card, review the pop report carefully. sp jeter 8's are somewhat common. 9's and 10's not so much. i'm not sold on 1989 griffey's either, the pop report says their are too many psa 10's. i think AROD's are way under priced especially the rarer pop ones.

The cost to grade cards will slow the flow of 89 Griffey's. I know I have a stack of about 50 I was going to send in for grading before the price increase and that stack of 50 was whittled down from a stack of 150.

Alex got caught for PED's and the Kid didn't. It's still surprising how low Alex's cards are.

Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options
    Nathaniel1960Nathaniel1960 Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭✭✭

1986 Topps Jerry Rice and Steve Young cards in 7s and 8s are hurting. 9s still strong. 10s? Skies the limit.

Kiss me once, shame on you.
    Kiss me twice.....let's party.
  • Options

It’ll be interesting to watch what this card does in the future. While the $2500 range wasn’t sustained for very long it still showed that it can get to that level, even if they are relatively plentiful.

• Options
    82FootballWaxMemorys82FootballWaxMemorys Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 28, 2021 5:03PM

@fergie23 said:
    Irrational exuberance not manipulation. I sold some SP Jeter rookies during the euphoria and got paid for every single one.

Robb

Isn't one angle of Market manipulation to "produce" huge prices for the highest graded cards in order to sell lower graded cards, riding the coattails, at huge profits. Like the 1986 Fleer Jordon Market manipulation.

Did you sell PSA9 1993 SP Jeters at 22-24K? If yes, then i withdraw my comment.

P.S.

From what I can see the PSA 9 1993 SP Jeter population has only grown by 3 all year. Unlike the 1990 Leaf Frank Thomas in PSA10 which has grown in POP pretty near by a gazillion - yes that comment just for you blurry my friend :)

Unless otherwise specified my posts represent only my opinion, not fact.