Home U.S. & World Currency Forum
Options

Help-is this an error? What is it worth?

I have a crisp 1974 $1- bill that was in a safe for many years.
I am having trouble figuring out how this could have happened. I never seen a mis-cut like this before.
Notice the small part of the second bill folds up and if flat shares the edge of the complete bill.
Is this an error?
What is it worth?
Should it be graded?
Thank you in advance for your help.

Comments

• Options
    Steve_in_TampaSteve_in_Tampa Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cool cutting error. As far as having it graded, personally, I’m not a big advocate for grading but some are, especially when it comes to selling the note. Authentication of the error will help you if you’re selling it. If you’re not selling it, get it into a quality currency sleeve.

• Options
    tomtomtomtomtomtomtomtom Posts: 535 ✭✭✭✭

I don't think that this an error at all...just someone cutting up a BEP sheet

• Options

@tomtomtomtom said:
    I don't think that this an error at all...just someone cutting up a BEP sheet

The BEP didn’t start selling $1 FRNs sheets until series 1981. I believe it’s legit.

• Options
    PppPpp Posts: 462 ✭✭✭✭

Steve_in_Tampa thank you for the information. I and the person I bought it from didn’t know BEP didn’t produce sheets in 1974 if we did it probably would have cost me more. Both the seller and me thought like tomtomtomtom but you cleared that up.
    I still don’t understand how an error like this could have been made, regardless any idea what such an error be worth?
    If not, do you know who I should ask?

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,812 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice one!

• Options
    thefinnthefinn Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭✭✭

The sheet was folded when it was cut. That's how it happened. As far as value, that's what auctions are for.

thefinn
  • Options
    edited September 27, 2021 3:33PM

@Ppp said:
    Any idea what such an error be worth?
    If not, do you know who I should ask?

Post it on Facebook. You could post your other error also. Join the U.S. Error Note Collectors group and Fred Bart will likely see it and comment. Fred is the expert…he literally wrote the book (US Paper Money Errors).

• Options
    PppPpp Posts: 462 ✭✭✭✭

Steve_in_tampa thank you that is the kind of direction I needed.
    I mostly deal in coins but have branched out into currency which I think is fascinating. I have bought many different denominations from red seals, large notes, gold certificates, silver certificates including Hawaii and North Africa, and various errors. I have used the book: paper money of the United States by Arthur and ira friedberg.

Unfortunately, I am not on Facebook but I will seek out Fred Bart.