Home Sports Talk
Options

Chargers Slam Chiefs

HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

Gosh.....maybe....just maybe..Justin Herbert is the Real Deal?....No! It can't be.

Comments

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

yes, it can be.

I fully expect the Chiefs to recover but it's strange how fast things can go south in the NFL. for a comparison, the Ravens almost lost and the Steelers did lose while the Bills and Browns won and look to be OK.

what happened to the Mahomes magic today, I didn't even see any highlights.

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

KC just turned the ball over like they just didn’t want it. They got in a hole early, fought back but the defense kinda sucks. Oh I forgot to add, Herbert is a phenomenal QB

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,060 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Chargers played the Cowboys close last week as well, so they are a dangerous team.

• Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 26, 2021 2:18PM

@keets said:
    yes, it can be.

I fully expect the Chiefs to recover but it's strange how fast things can go south in the NFL. for a comparison, the Ravens almost lost and the Steelers did lose while the Bills and Browns won and look to be OK.

I believe the Mahomes magic is still in extant, just not on display today because he played like an idiot.
    Two picks today, first one he tried a no look pass when there was no reason not to look,
    second pick it looked like he expected Kelce to keep running down field, Kelce found an open spot
    and kind of stopped there and Mahomes threw it over his head.
    Mahomes also came very close to losing a fumble but got lucky and recovered it.

• Options

my impression of the days festivities is that it looks like we are now seeing the NFL regular season. the first 1-2 weeks lately have been what the pre-season used to be, now it takes an extra 1-2 weeks for play to settle in.

also, it was tough sledding today for the 2021 QB crop as the guys who shouldn't be starting(but are) had difficulty: Wilson is currently completing passes but not for any yardage or scores, Fields is fortunate he wasn't injured after being sacked nine times, Jones had three interceptions with a pick-six and Lawrence had two more interceptions. the only QB of the "big five" picked in round one that isn't playing is Trey Lance. I think the 49ers are on to something!!

I give the season another 2-3 weeks before the real contenders start to make themselves known.

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,555 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Darin said:

@keets said:
    yes, it can be.

I believe the Mahomes magic is still in extant, just not on display today because he played like an idiot.
    Two picks today, first one he tried a no look pass when there was no reason not to look,
    second pick it looked like he expected Kelce to keep running down field, Kelce found an open spot
    and kind of stopped there and Mahomes threw it over his head.
    Mahomes also came very close to losing a fumble but got lucky and recovered it.

every player will have bad games from time to time. Mahomes will be fine. Its the D that looked shakey.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options

I agree that justin herbert is the real deal

• Options

Justin Herbert has been "the real deal" since he entered the NFL, it just takes time for the rest of the Team to be built around a young QB. the difference between Herbert and Mahomes is that the latter had all the pieces around him from the beginning, the latter, not so much.

as for Mahomes, this is a tough stretch for him and something he hasn't experienced before. I don't know if he'd lost two games in a row before, but he'd never lost in September and never had a losing record before. fortunately for him and the rest of the Chiefs they get to leave town for a game and play a patsy, the Eagles. if they were having to play one of the top Teams next week it would be a stressful run-up for the fans and franchise.

staying on top of things is hard and the "fall" can be ugly. playing error free ball, as an individual and Team, is hard. recovering from mistakes and defeat is hard. I well remember when the Seattle Seahawks were flying high and Russell Wilson was seen as the re-incarnation of Otto Graham/John Elway/Joe Montana on his way to establishing a dynasty in the NorthWest. the Seahawks had the Head Coach, the fans and all the pieces. they won a SuperBowl and came within a play of winning their second.

guess what?? they haven't been back and don't look like they'll be there any time soon. Pete Carroll can't seem to right the ship, the Team is in disarray and Wilson looks like a shadow of himself. why the comparison?? because the trajectory of the Team and the QB's is eerily the same. Mahomes and the Chiefs might be done as the odds, the percentages catch up with them. Russell Wilson used to do the same things that happen in KC, the no-look desperation passes that always seem to find the receiver, the errant pass that always finds the ground, the comeback that overcomes mistakes. that stuff suddenly quit happening in Seattle. now, for at least two weeks, it has stopped happening in Kansas City.

the hope for the Chiefs, aside from Andy Reid's quick recovery, is that they can stop making mistakes, stop the turn-overs. right now I think the rest of the NFL smells blood and will going for the ball.

• Options

@keets said:
    Justin Herbert has been "the real deal" since he entered the NFL, it just takes time for the rest of the Team to be built around a young QB. the difference between Herbert and Mahomes is that the latter had all the pieces around him from the beginning, the latter, not so much.

as for Mahomes, this is a tough stretch for him and something he hasn't experienced before. I don't know if he'd lost two games in a row before, but he'd never lost in September and never had a losing record before. fortunately for him and the rest of the Chiefs they get to leave town for a game and play a patsy, the Eagles. if they were having to play one of the top Teams next week it would be a stressful run-up for the fans and franchise.

staying on top of things is hard and the "fall" can be ugly. playing error free ball, as an individual and Team, is hard. recovering from mistakes and defeat is hard. I well remember when the Seattle Seahawks were flying high and Russell Wilson was seen as the re-incarnation of Otto Graham/John Elway/Joe Montana on his way to establishing a dynasty in the NorthWest. the Seahawks had the Head Coach, the fans and all the pieces. they won a SuperBowl and came within a play of winning their second.

guess what?? they haven't been back and don't look like they'll be there any time soon. Pete Carroll can't seem to right the ship, the Team is in disarray and Wilson looks like a shadow of himself. why the comparison?? because the trajectory of the Team and the QB's is eerily the same. Mahomes and the Chiefs might be done as the odds, the percentages catch up with them. Russell Wilson used to do the same things that happen in KC, the no-look desperation passes that always seem to find the receiver, the errant pass that always finds the ground, the comeback that overcomes mistakes. that stuff suddenly quit happening in Seattle. now, for at least two weeks, it has stopped happening in Kansas City.

the hope for the Chiefs, aside from Andy Reid's quick recovery, is that they can stop making mistakes, stop the turn-overs. right now I think the rest of the NFL smells blood and will going for the ball.

very well thought out post.

You are right about the difficulty of keeping a good thing going. Russ and the Hawks did have a similar trajectory the first few years as well.

people forget sometimes, too, that in the NFL, all it takes is a few key injuries or off-field incidences to alter team trajectories.

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

Winning a SB, then losing the next one, with a young QB, is similar. Yes. But I see a huge difference. Wilson was not the QB he is now earlier in his career when Seattle was going to Super Bowls. Those teams rode more on their defenses. Wilson has now become a better QB, but they cannot get back to the SB. Mahomes is all-world elite already. Kansas City is lacking defense. Yes, there are other holes, but Mahomes is their strength.

• Options

Wilson was not the QB he is now earlier in his career

I agree, he was better.

early in his career there was constant comparison to how fast Russell Wilson had accomplished things vs. the all-time leaders. after 3-4 years he was on pace to break records. not so much anymore.

• Options

I hope the best for Mahomes but the fact is that the Chiefs have lost three of their last four games. There's a problem somewhere.

• Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,257 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Hydrant said:
    I hope the best for Mahomes but the fact is that the Chiefs have lost three of their last four games. There's a problem somewhere.

Sometimes teams catch on. Sometimes players lose that it. Sometimes balls bounce against you. Sometimes things that worked last year don’t work this year.
    And then again it’s just might be a few bad games but the Chiefs revamped OL doesn’t look any better than last year.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options

@2dueces said:

@Hydrant said:

Sometimes balls bounce against you.......

You got that right. Long ago someone told me, "The best part about football is that you don't know how the ball will bounce.". I've never forgotten that.

• Options

--- Kansas City beat Cleveland because of turn-overs.
    --- Kansas City lost to the Ravens because of turn-overs.
    --- Kansas City lost to the Chargers because of turn-overs.

it really doesn't get any more simple than that. absent turn-overs, Kansas City would be 2-1, they would have lost to Cleveland and beaten the Ravens and Chargers.

the two keys to a successful NFL season is no turn-overs and no key, long term injuries.