Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1970 Topps Baseball Rack Pack

gemintgemint Posts: 6,070 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited September 25, 2021 2:23PM in Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Either this pack has ink markings on the plastic wrap or the pack is resealed. There are 'X' markings on both the Tovar and the Kirby. What do you guys think? I sent a question to Leland's but didn't get a response...unsurprisingly.

https://auction.lelands.com/bids/bidplace?itemid=104997

Comments

• Options
    PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,721 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 25, 2021 2:38PM

Weird. I don’t think you could easily make dark pen marks like that on the cellophane. Also hard to understand how the header card is dirty and creased when the surrounding cellophane appears undamaged.

And yet everything else about the pack (hole punch, wide seams, cards have uniform whiteness) seems right. Puzzling.

• Options
    blurryfaceblurryface Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 25, 2021 2:38PM

there are other things that stick out.

eta: @paulmaul got it in before i did. 😉

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,543 ✭✭✭✭✭

The header card is correct for 1970, which is often the first apparent clue a 1970 rack is bad, but the X marks are highly concerning as are the seams between cells which are not correct for 1970.

This is what the seams between cells on a 1970 rack pack should look like:

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

I guess I have a hard time distinguishing the wider seams.

• Options

@grote15 I know I have asked you this before, but are the seams the same width for 1970-73, or are the later years a little thinner?

• Options

@PaulMaul said:
    @grote15 I know I have asked you this before, but are the seams the same width for 1970-73, or are the later years a little thinner?

1970-1972 are noticeably wider tread between cells..73 is also a bit wider but not as noticeable..by 77 the seams are much narrower.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    coinspackscoinspacks Posts: 975 ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 25, 2021 3:48PM

i was looking at that pack on lelands too and decided not to pursue it due to the x marks and the top front card near the header seems to have rounded corners?

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭✭

those x marks sure seem damning...

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    ringerringer Posts: 342 ✭✭✭
    edited September 25, 2021 6:31PM

Remember during the spike of March 1970, people were flipping them at garage sales for $1.25 each? Dirtbags!

• Options
    GroceryRackPackGroceryRackPack Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭✭✭

something ain't right with the X

• Options
    jeffv96mastersjeffv96masters Posts: 598 ✭✭✭✭

As resealed as resealed gets--geesh what a horrible reseal job :s

• Options

I have a wax pack question for the group.
    I bought a 1975 Topps wax pack - it is not graded. My question is the cards in it are facing towards the back of the pack which is a red flag to me. Does this mean it is 100% already been opened? Or when packs were put together is it possible the cards could be facing that way?

• Options

@Topps1975 said:
    I have a wax pack question for the group.
    I bought a 1975 Topps wax pack - it is not graded. My question is the cards in it are facing towards the back of the pack which is a red flag to me. Does this mean it is 100% already been opened? Or when packs were put together is it possible the cards could be facing that way?

It is standard for cards on back of a 1975 wax pack to be faced out. Faced inward (with back of card through the wrapper on back of the wax pack) is actually seen far less frequently.

In a 1975 wax pack, there is typically a 7 to 3 (sometimes 6 to 4) split between card from the single asterisk and double asterisk sheets with the cards from the double asterisk sheets leading up to the top of the pack against the gum.

• Options

Thanks Grote - good to know.