Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1981 Donruss Unissued Test Proof Set

I was digging my
card collection and found these. I forgot that I even had them. Three sizes. They were issued as a three card set, Jackson, Brett and a Blank design. I am guessing Donruss wanted to see how dealers would react. Apparently, the design never made the cut. The banner looks similar to the 1979 Topps!

Comments

• Options
    waxman2745waxman2745 Posts: 725 ✭✭✭

The shape of the banner looks like 1979 Topps, and the positioning of the banners is the reverse of 1980 Topps.

Adam
    buying O-Pee-Chee (OPC) baseball
  • Options
    brad31brad31 Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭✭✭

It was always called the 1980 Donruss test set back in the day as they were given to dealers in 1980. Was pretty available at least at the local Chicago shows in the early 80s. Seemed like every dealer was given a few from whomever was trying to garner interest from Donruss. They were too pricy for my 11 year old self to ever consider purchasing but do not remember what dealers were selling them for.

• Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

Never saw those before, I kinda like the design. Is the card stock as crappy as the actual 1981 Donruss card stock?

• Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

Those are better than what we got in 1981.

• Options
    BaltimoreYankeeBaltimoreYankee Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭✭✭

Those are very cool! I have never seen them either.

Daniel
  • Options
    NJ80sBBCNJ80sBBC Posts: 721 ✭✭✭✭

Those are awesome. Love these little pieces of history. I didn’t collect in 81, but imagine it would have been such a big deal to have 2 new players enter the marketplace after all those years.

John

Conundrum - Loving my unopened baseball card collection....but really like ripping too
  • Options
    GDM67GDM67 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭

@NJ80sBBC said:
    Those are awesome. Love these little pieces of history. I didn’t collect in 81, but imagine it would have been such a big deal to have 2 new players enter the marketplace after all those years.

John

It was. I was so excited, I even kept buying Donruss all summer long.

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,540 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have seen those before, but with very high price tags. I always assumed there must have been quite a few handed out but was never sure

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.