Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Grading Recommendations

Have only had a few cards graded for my personal collection. May sell a few doubles etc but mainly want my collection preserved... since PSA services are suspended, what service do you recommend for cost/presentation of collection???

Always looking for 1950's Graded Banks Cards

Comments

• 19591959 Posts: 607 ✭✭✭

SGC

• CakesCakes Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wait until the backlog and prices come down.

Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • parthur1607parthur1607 Posts: 202 ✭✭✭

If you truly just want to preserve them for your own collection then I agree with the above comment of SGC. If you’re looking to sell some of them then you definitely have to wait until you can get them submitted to PSA. Nothing is going to bring a return like PSA labels. Beckett is close and I have even seen a few Beckett 10s bring slightly higher on eBay but I’m not even sure what Beckett’s prices are at the moment. I would have to say SGC is going to be the closest grade wise to what PSA would assign. Again I don’t know what their fees are right now either but last time I checked (6 months ago) SGC was the cheapest.

• I'll say this.... If you can wait it out longer. I believe you'll be truly happier with them in a PSA label. If you can't wait.... Go to SGC. I'd wait, because it's a big difference in price, popularity and demand in a PSA holder.

• daltexdaltex Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭✭✭

Even if you're not interested in selling, your heirs (or their heirs) will be someday.

• coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,721 ✭✭✭✭✭

If preservation is the real motivation, why not use sleeves and place the cards in top loaders? If you have condition rarities whereby there is a significant difference in value between grades... then yes get them graded.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• @coinkat I had a few graded before the suspension and once you do that, having them sleeved in binders or top loaders just doesn't seem the same :) Having them slabbed seems to be way better from a preservations perspective, I would think

• CSG seems to currently be the cheapest ... is the quality of their slab that much worse PSA or SGC or is it just truly the name brand PSA has created???

• @Cubsfan71 said:
    CSG seems to currently be the cheapest ... is the quality of their slab that much worse PSA or SGC or is it just truly the name brand PSA has created???

Don't go that route with csg. I'm being honest. If I didn't care ... I wouldn't say anything. Go PSA 1 or sgc 2. Nothing else! To me and a lot of people... They know csg sucks! You won't get the profit you deserve in that. Being honest

• blurryfaceblurryface Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

i wouldnt knock csg outta the conversation so easily. whats true today can change very abruptly.

psa is still #1. however, the same investment group that owns fanatics bought out csg. everything in a few short years could easily be swayed over to csg. i for one just got a csg slab in a small lot of cards purchased. in hand they look and feel much better than what they appear in online pics.

psa still has market share and the registry. hopefully they pull together the organizational part to be able to accept and return subs back in a more reasonable timeframe.

• 80sOPC80sOPC Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭✭✭

For a personal collection and preservation? Nothing beats a CS1 and a penny sleeve. Clear as day and protects as well as any slab. Graded cards move much more then any CS1 sleeve combo.

• Historicalwood71Historicalwood71 Posts: 518 ✭✭✭
    edited September 28, 2021 5:41AM

@80sOPC said:
    For a personal collection and preservation? Nothing beats a CS1 and a penny sleeve. Clear as day and protects as well as any slab. Graded cards move much more then any CS1 sleeve combo.

But you don't want that for cards. Coins yes ... Just not sports cards. I think Beckett has the no move down to a science, but I don't like them either. I have to go with sgc if I can't have PSA. Just opinions however. Something about a sgc slab screams... " Classic old school" 😂

• Chicago1976Chicago1976 Posts: 451 ✭✭✭✭✭

Another option is putting your card in magnetic one touch. Probably the closest storage option to getting a graded slab.